Spare Tire Chain Assembly (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Sorry guys...tried to search but couldn’t find it...for those of you who have a spare tire carrier and no longer carry the spare in the stock position, what did you do with the chain and bracket?

For now, I simply cranked it back up after wrapping the chain around and squeezed it between the truck and the bracket that holds the tire. Then, any chain left over, I zip tied together so it wouldn’t make noise or drop?

Have I missed a solution somewhere?

Thx

Is the bracket not removable for some reason?

Is the bracket not removable for some reason?

Gotta be honest, I didn’t look. I’m sure it probably is...but that leaves a ton of chain hanging down? I kinda figured cinching it back up was the way to go???

Gotta be honest, I didn’t look. I’m sure it probably is...but that leaves a ton of chain hanging down? I kinda figured cinching it back up was the way to go???
Ah, the chain mechanism is on the bracket. My spare is up there right now or I’d look, but I’d start with the idea of a delete.

The chain winch unbolts from the crossmember, and as I remember it the crossmember unbolts from the frame as well. The whole setup is easily removable.

I did similar to you, but used velcro straps instead of zip tie. The carrier all the way up, loose chain hung over and around the steel carrier and strapped to the other side of the chain so it's fully out of view and can't rattle. Same with the low hanging tow connector, tucked inside the frame. Zero rattles and easy to remove/replace.

It's very easy to remove the chain lift from the crossmember, 3 bolts with a 12 mm GearWrench.

thx everyone...figured it could be removed but good to see some left it. Hoping not to hear any horror stories from leaving it. I'd prefer to do so if it's not an issue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom