Spare tire carrier? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
What are you guys using for a spare tire carrier for larger tires? Only one i have found so far is the bumper/carrier combo on jtoutfitters for $500 OUCH! Im not running huge tires, just 33's, but its beating the hell out of my carrier, and rattling like crazy. Its going to end up ripping out of the body.

Thanks

Found a few more, basically the same style and very expensive. Is there a cheaper one out there, or am i going to be stuck paying big bucks?

Found a few more, basically the same style and very expensive. Is there a cheaper one out there, or am i going to be stuck paying big bucks?

I need a spare tire carrier too! :crybaby:

Check out TRAIL FAB LLC (Gappy here on Mud)
https://forum.ih8mud.com/merchandis...ear-bumper-swing-away-tire-carriers-sale.html

Still pricey, but seems worth it, and study-as-heck! Plus Gappy's been great with PMs and emails. I'll probably end up picking this up, once (IF?) I convert my rig's rear bumper and lights back to a more traditional FJ40 look.
607619863_eQQ7V-L.jpg

Don't forget the stock split rims and tyre dry weight is 90lbs!!!!! If the rear quaters and carrier is in good nick it should be good to go

Can you build your own off the stock bumper?
That is pretty cheap to do if you have the chops to do it.

the only way to avoid the expensive ones is to build your own or find used etc..

Hi,
Thought I would share my approach.
My 76-40 came with a spare tire mount on the left tail gate.
I came to hate it because it was always in the way, and my 35"x12" tire and wheal were to heavy for it.
My approach was to set the spare on top of the DS wheal well up against the factory roll bar and just forward enough to clear the hard top.
with the location set I bolted a piece of 1.5x1.5x1/4" angle between the roll-bars front and rear outboard mnt. bolts, inboard flange pointing up.
Next a piece of 1 1/4" pipe was cut to form the vertical leg for the OE wheal mounting brk.one end is slotted to slide over the flange of the bottom angle, the ends of the pipe are squeezed down to provide a good surface for welding the base of a 2" muffler clamp to the top and a flat surface on the bottom for drilling a 3/8' hole for mounting to the bottom angle.
The wheal mount was removed from the OE swing away brk. and two 3/8" holes to match a 2" muffler clamp were drilled in both mounting flanges.
The mount is positioned against the vertical pipe and the 'U' clamps installed to attach the mount.
The installation is best accomplished with the hard top off because a 35" wheal assembly leaves no room to work.
The tire is mounted on the bracket and adjusted to clear the hard top and allow it to rest on the wheal well. the clamps are torqued, then the tire is removed to allow drilling of the bottom 3/8" hole through the flange of the lower mount.
If the wheal ass. size is changed simply loosen the clamps reposition drill new bottom mnt. hole, and reassemble.

Minus:
No room for driver side jump seat.

Plus:
Does not obscure drivers rear vision.
Does not require moving to gain access through the rear doors.
Tire and wheal assy. more secure and out of the weather.
Provides additional roll over protection.
Helps to maintain clean departure angle.
Super easy to build.
Can be built from remnant metals, (if you still have the OE mnt.)

Note: Use high quality fasteners, loads generated off road can be high!

Al

Running the stock tire carrier on my '71 with BFG 33x10.5 mud terrain. All I did was take a piece of 1" square tube steel and fab up a spacer to shift the tire out so it would go mount properly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom