Spare Tire Carrier Fj40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm in the process of making a rear bumper and swing out spare tire carrier. The part that has me stuck is the hinge point of the spare tire carrier. What do I need as far as tubing and bearings to make it work? Oh its going on a fj40. And what latch assembly can I use? The bumper is 2"x4" box and the tire carrier will be made out of 2"x2" box. Pics would be a great help. Thanks in advance, Pete

I bought a part from Rockhard 4x4 in Ault, CO and my buddy used a spindle from 4x4 Labs in Tahoe. The latch most common is a large bolt or block/rest with drop pin. If you go to a larger box tubing size for the main bumper you can recess rectangular stop/turn/tail lights.

Use an old hub as a bearing; this is the coolest way to go about a swinging tire carrier. You can engage the hub and lock your tire out or use it as a safety locking in driving position.

bustanutley said:
Use an old hub as a bearing; this is the coolest way to go about a swinging tire carrier. You can engage the hub and lock your tire out or use it as a safety locking in driving position.

Wouldn't that require anchoring a birfield to the bumper?

thank you Mark , I did not want to nock the idea but could not figure it out either , ????? I guess you could weld the end of a birf into the spindle just cut bell off. Or just buy the proper s***.......

you don't have to use a toyota hub, DUH. You use the outer bearing assembly and stub off a dana axle, or a quick pass with the chop saw and broken birf would make things happen. It is truly the coolest tire rack assembly I have seen implemented. Cheep too!

My freind bob did this on his grand, and I believe ige has a similar setup on her 40.

:flipoff2:

peesalot said:
thank you Mark , I did not want to nock the idea but could not figure it out either , ????? I guess you could weld the end of a birf into the spindle just cut bell off. Or just buy the proper s***.......

Or use the inner 30 spline end of a wasted inner axleshaft.

We cut the outer axle off of a trashed birf and welded it to the bumper as the pivot point. We used a locking hub on the tire carrier so you can lock it open when you're not on level ground. Works great. What better use can there be for an old, coarse splined birf and hub?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom