Spare tire bolted to hatch? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

You guys have me pretty much convinced. I do know that 100 pounds dropped on a kid or adult could "kill" someone. Does this mean that I shouldn't use the upper hatch at all? Because I am sure that it weighs at least 100 lbs. There are mini van hatches and SUV hatches out there that are far heavier than the FJ80's hatch as well. The reason I will not go this route is because it would basically take an engineer to do it right. I am not an engineer. So I won't do it.

I do like how some of y'all are thinking of other ideas that are not a "bolt on" product where all it takes is a huge bank account to outfit your vehicle. Yeah some ideas can be dangerous and stupid (like this one) but I would just like to see some more original stuff on this board! Lets stop the attitude of... if you can't buy it from Slee or MAF it can't be done! :clap:

That's a completely unfair characterization. You proposed a modification that was objectively stupid and dangerous. You were warned off. A simple "thank you" will suffice.

I do like how some of y'all are thinking of other ideas that are not a "bolt on" product where all it takes is a huge bank account to outfit your vehicle. Yeah some ideas can be dangerous and stupid (like this one) but I would just like to see some more original stuff on this board! Lets stop the attitude of... if you can't buy it from Slee or MAF it can't be done! :clap:

It's a spare tire. You can either leave it under the truck, put it in the back, throw it on the roof, buy a rear bumper with a carrier, or fab your own carrier. If you fab your own, by all means, take some pics and post it up. The guys will let you know if it's cool, ugly, functional, crappy, etc. Nobody is stopping anyone from building their own stuff. Pop on over to the 40 section if you want to see some cool homegrown junk.

I salute you for not wanting to be boxed in by the cookie cutter solution. It's just that I don't think that mounting a spare tire to the hatch is a good idea. :beer:

Y...

okay sport...how about this for an idea?

learn to use the SEARCH feature.

Many of these hair brained ideas have been posed before. Search the archives before throwing crap like this out. You don't seem to appreciate the comments of many of the long-time members...so...perhaps it might serve you well to spend some time researching the archives rather than have to deal with use old stodgy fogies who are trapped inside our MAF and Slee boxes.

:rolleyes:

Many of these hair brained ideas have been posed before. Search the archives before throwing crap like this out. You don't seem to appreciate the comments of many of the long-time members...so...perhaps it might serve you well to spend some time researching the archives rather than have to deal with use old stodgy fogies who are trapped inside our MAF and Slee boxes.

WOW!!!!
ecameron87 must have hit a nerve with that kick to the MAF and Slee balls.:bounce2::bounce2:

WOW!!!!
ecameron87 must have hit a nerve with that kick to the MAF and Slee balls.:bounce2::bounce2:

naw...no nerve struck.

it just seems that the he simply seems to know more than those offering suggestions and/or warnings. he just might be best served finding his own answers.

...or maybe I was simply reminded of why I grew tired of dealing with the "brilliant" noobs that flooded the 80s tech section a year or two ago...I dunno...

Bite the bullet dude.

Get a real rear bumper.

Oh and that doesn't just mean slee or MAF. There are lots of other options out there and manufacturers. Who make quality products. Hell if you weren't so far from the east coast I know where there is a nice TJM bumper that would fit the bill.

Beowulf, is that you?

Use the search feature? What is that? I haven't heard of that one before. I must have missed this idea that someone posted in the past when I did search.....:rolleyes:

I think I did strike a nerve, although I was just trying to get some creative ideas going.

If you don't feel appreciated, then go read post #17 agian.

NorCalDoug, I do appreciate you. :clap:

naw...no nerve struck.

it just seems that the he simply seems to know more than those offering suggestions and/or warnings. he just might be best served finding his own answers.

...or maybe I was simply reminded of why I grew tired of dealing with the "brilliant" noobs that flooded the 80s tech section a year or two ago...I dunno...

Are you saying that being noob in this forum means I can't know anything, or do you really think I am brilliant? Wow, that really makes people feel welcome.

Don't take it so hard, I don't recall going against any suggestions or warnings. I conceded and agreed that it is not the best idea. Again, just trying to see if there could be something else out there. I don't see the need for these remarks though.

Are you saying that being noob in this forum means I can't know anything, or do you really think I am brilliant? Wow, that really makes people feel welcome.

Don't take it so hard, I don't recall going against any suggestions or warnings. I conceded and agreed that it is not the best idea. Again, just trying to see if there could be something else out there. I don't see the need for these remarks though.

You've been here for a year and a half. You're not a noob - so quit acting like one.

Use the search feature? What is that? I haven't heard of that one before. I must have missed this idea that someone posted in the past when I did search.....:rolleyes:

I think I did strike a nerve, although I was just trying to get some creative ideas going.

If you don't feel appreciated, then go read post #17 agian.

NorCalDoug, I do appreciate you. :clap:

I don't need your appreciation.
take the time to read post 19 -- it was in response to your post 17

EDIT: nevermind...

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom