Spare Tire and Hi-Lift Carrier, CO2 Tank Holder, Sleeping Platform Thing (pics) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
youtube.com
Hey Guys

I was getting ready for Pismo next weekend and decided since it was so cold last year and that i am riding up solo, that i want to sleep in the truck.

I threw together a low budget sleeping platform, tire carrier, hi lift holder, storage cabinet, and co2 tank holder, all in one. Took about 3 hours and costs about $50. Came out ok, but it needs some finishing touches i will deal with later, either that, or break it into pieces and contribute to the bonfire! :D

There is still plenty of storage for tools and camping gear, but things will be totally re-arranged once i get my crap together and build a bumper/tirecarrier.

This is just a temp fix for the Pismo weekend and possibly a second truck for the Baja 1000.

Check it out (feedback appreciated):

Many Pics Herehttp://www.yankeetoys.org/mangler/budgetstorage.htm

A Few Pics:

IMG_0049.jpg

IMG_0059.jpg

Last edited:
Is there anything strapping the tire down, or is it slid in theire loosely?

The reason I ask is that I have my tire ratchet-strapped in the back of mine to the floor, and on the occasion where I didn't strap it down securely or it's come loose for watever reason, the tire banging around back there (even with as little as a 1/2" of play) gets kinda crazy, especially over rougher terrain.

Looks very uncomfortable. I would not want to sleep on that.

Cool idea, only thing that comes to mind is I would probably use plywood instead of particle board, I think it's alot stronger (probably more expensive too), especially in an application when you would want everything to hold together in case of a roll, etc.

Are you gonna take that wrapper off the Hi-Lift? :princess:

I like the adjustable pillow holder!

How long does it take to remove the center seats?

shocker said:
Is there anything strapping the tire down, or is it slid in theire loosely?

The reason I ask is that I have my tire ratchet-strapped in the back of mine to the floor, and on the occasion where I didn't strap it down securely or it's come loose for watever reason, the tire banging around back there (even with as little as a 1/2" of play) gets kinda crazy, especially over rougher terrain.

I built it to be a "Snug" fit, kind of a pain to get out, but the hassle of tightening down is no longer! :D

firetruck41 said:
Cool idea, only thing that comes to mind is I would probably use plywood instead of particle board, I think it's alot stronger (probably more expensive too), especially in an application when you would want everything to hold together in case of a roll, etc.

Yeah, if this was for real and was going to be used for a long time, i would have used nice grade plywood, this is going to be torn down and redone once i get my bumper and tire carrier done.

boydmick said:
Are you gonna take that wrapper off the Hi-Lift? :princess:

I like the adjustable pillow holder!

The hi lift is actually a buddies that i am borrowing for the trip, he just bought it, so i am keeping it "as is" until i return it! :D

BTW, that is a 60" and fits like a charm! Thanks to all that replied to the other thread!

MH_Stevens said:
How long does it take to remove the center seats?

About the same time it takes to remove the jump seats, 4 bolts! Very easy!

Wrench said:
Looks very uncomfortable. I would not want to sleep on that.

Good! :flipoff2:

I will obviously be adding padding to the sleeping surface! Cmon now!

Thrifty yet functional.

Course its not gonna make me get rid of my outback drawers anytime soon.

reffug said:
Thrifty yet functional.

Course its not gonna make me get rid of my outback drawers anytime soon.

We could always trade? :D

If i could afford the outback draws, i would go that route. I just winged this thing together to keep the tire put until i get a bumper!

For it's temporary intended purpose I think it'll perform fine Mangler. Wish I was making it down for PISMO myself.

Boston,

Nicely done.

Let me ask you this question before the safety Nazis get here...

What are you going to do to keep it (and its contents) from moving/flying forward in case of a (severe) frontal collision? :eek: Because if it isn't no airbags or seatbelts will be able to save you. :crybaby:

Anyway, chances are it wouldn't happen to you, but....

Still, looks pretty good and functional though! I would not be able to fab up anything like that even if I wanted to.

Mot :cheers:

mot said:
Boston,

Nicely done.

Let me ask you this question before the safety Nazis get here...

What are you going to do to keep it (and its contents) from moving/flying forward in case of a (severe) frontal collision? :eek: Because if it isn't no airbags or seatbelts will be able to save you. :crybaby:

Anyway, chances are it wouldn't happen to you, but....

Still, looks pretty good and functional though! I would not be able to fab up anything like that even if I wanted to.

Mot :cheers:

Thanks for the Kudos Mot.

As for the safety, you bring up great points. I acutally started to work on the mounting setup but was beat and quit for the day.

2 Things i am going to try tomorrow or tuesday are bolting it to the 4 existing holes that the middle row seats bolt to and to somehow rig a bolt setup to clamp it to the tie down points in the cargo area. I will investigate this more and post up what i find!

I did spend most of the day myself rearrnaging various things and working out tiedowns for the hilift, co2 etc. I ended up working out a system of serious steel eye bolts holding everything down cuz of the issue of stuff flying around in a rollover. The thought of the Hilift and a CO2 cylinder being tossed about in the cab in a rollover or even collision is sobering... Watch out for yours too. The tire would probably just pop out the top of your box in no time at all....

Am impressed that you did it all in 3 hrs, though, would take me a whole day easy...

(I did use some of the 8 bolts that hold the middle seat down)

Cold last year? Wimp, Kevin. hehehe :flipoff2: It wasn't cold last year at SnT. It was quite balmy.

Cold is up in Joshua Tree in February where you go to bed right before a little rain storm and wake up to a puddle of water in your camping chair with a sheet of ice on it, or sleeping out w/o tent and waking up with snow all over you! That's cold.......and lots of fun! :D

San Diego boy. :princess: How's that for pissing off a 6'3", 265 lb man. :eek:

Nice set up BTW. :cheers:

Brentbba said:
Cold last year? Wimp, Kevin. hehehe :flipoff2: It wasn't cold last year at SnT. It was quite balmy.

Cold is up in Joshua Tree in February where you go to bed right before a little rain storm and wake up to a puddle of water in your camping chair with a sheet of ice on it, or sleeping out w/o tent and waking up with snow all over you! That's cold.......and lots of fun! :D

San Diego boy. :princess: How's that for pissing off a 6'3", 265 lb man. :eek:

Nice set up BTW. :cheers:
\
Hey

Brent, did you make your HOTEL reservations yet? :D :D :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom