Spare parts to carry for extended travel in the US? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

What spares would you keep with you for extended travel, say several years travel in the United States? Travel obvious involves highway and towns but also a lot of solo travel in remote areas, camping, wheeling and exploring. I know in the US i can get a lot of stuff in any town or have stuff mailed but that is not always easy. A lot of the areas i am in are small towns that dont stock a lot of stuff, shipping takes extra time not to mention that if i am in the back country I might need to make repairs to get of the trail. Currently my spares are a mixture of what i feel i need to make unplanned repairs but also some basic maintenance items. There are also a few small things that i keep with me because i know how much it would suck to misplace them during a field repair. Kind of like when you are working on your truck and you drop that one bolt and just cant find it. I keep select basic maintenance items on hand that way i can do those jobs when it is convenient and then replace that item into my "inventory" when i get settled and have mail services some place. That way i dont put of maintenance or become tempted to use subpar parts that might be available from local sources. But space in the truck is at a premium so i cant do things like carry a half dozen oil filters around.

Since i am usually alone i try to avoid the more technical trails but it does not always work out that way. But still, i wont be carrying extra drive shafts and stuff like that. I am more inclined to have general spares and maintenance items . For example it nice to have a spare set of quality brake pads on hand. I can drop a new set in while my wife goes in the grocery store faster than i can drive around some small town trying to find a set.

Currently this is basically what i keep on hand in the truck, some of these parts are intentionally with me, some i have just gathered over the years of travel, not sure why i have them. New OEM parts.

AC belt
fan belts
spark plugs
FIPG new unopened
drive shaft bolts new x4
locking hub gaskets paper new x 4
inner front drive shaft rubber seal new x 2 90310-35710
radiator cap
axle c clips x 2
fusible link
Drain plug (allen head and magnetic center not sure if it transfer case or transmision)
Lower arm studs X 2 new
nuts x 2 new
cone washer X 2 new
motor oil drain gaskets
Relay 90987-0200483 X 1 new (EFI?)
Relay fuel pump 28380-66010 X 1 new
assorted hose clamps
assorted nuts bolts
assorted bulbs and fuses

Things i know i need to add and replace since i used them last:
Oil filter
Brake pads
Wiper blade inserts ( like to have these and they pack well)
rest of the gaskets and seals for birfields/wheel bearings service
would like to have spares of the other drain plugs and washers

What would you guys add or get rid of?

the most important thing your forgetting !

a SPARE OEM CODE CUT KEY , ........

Zipped Tied with 2 black UV Rated Ties to your under frame rale easy access you know in a pinch .,....

gold plated if your feeling adventurous too !

fj80 banner1 - Copy.png

1BE7F950-1134-4913-B065-EA55F2436E4A - Copy.jpeg

EDC8D7D5-0AF3-4C3B-8C21-5D45C3CA704C.jpeg

gold key 12.jpeg

Key banner - Copy.jpg

Spare starter, because without one your SOL with an automatic US-market 80. You could carry contacts and a plunger, but if the windings are fried, or the reduction gear is damaged, you're still stuck.

Spare alternator for pretty much the same reason. You can carry brushes, but if the windings, slip ring, or voltage regulator/rectifier is shot you're still not getting power.

Some kind of head gasket repair product containing sodium silicate. I wouldn't use it if I could reasonably get towed, but I'd gladly use it if my alternatives were dying of exposure or a tow bill that exceeds the value of the vehicle.
Unfortunatly i cant go that big on items. I put a new starter in a few years ago and did Alt brushes a while ago as PM. HG was done as PM a while ago. But not bad ideas.

How do i get one cut?

PM me your OEM W SERIES key code , if im cutting for a 80 ?

i can cut it right now as we speak , and its in the mail first thing !

SST Computer Code cutting Key machine ON-HAND ready to serve the 80 Series Community at the SKUNK WORKS Lab 24 / 7 / 365 :cool:

Unfortunatly i cant go that big on items. I put a new starter in a few years ago and did Alt brushes a while ago as PM. HG was done as PM a while ago. But not bad ideas.
Seriously, if you have spare belts, a spare tire, and have more or less recently done all the normal PM stuff (plugs, wires, etc.) then just drive. As soon as you think you need a starter you will need a transmission, or right, rear window, or a cat, or God knows what.

Why not get another 80 series and just tow it behind you...... Haha, JK

Seriously, if you have spare belts, a spare tire, and have more or less recently done all the normal PM stuff (plugs, wires, etc.) then just drive. As soon as you think you need a starter you will need a transmission, or right, rear window, or a cat, or God knows what.
Thats actually not that fare off what i do. I used to carry around a lot of stuff. Then i realized i should just install the new parts as i get them as PM. For example i had spare U joints for a long time. Then i realized the original OEM had lasted 300,000 miles. I should just install the new OEMs i have and should be good for another 300,000. All the parts i carry now fit in the rear quarter panel where the jack goes. Thats the limit to what i care, it has to fit in that space.

Agree with carrying a spare of those components that start the rig and charge the batt when running - starter and alternator. But yeah, if you've suss'd those already, with OEM parts, you're good for at least 100k NGO miles. lol Triple that in 1st world miles.
Thats actually not that fare off what i do. I used to carry around a lot of stuff. Then i realized i should just install the new parts as i get them as PM. For example i had spare U joints for a long time. Then i realized the original OEM had lasted 300,000 miles. I should just install the new OEMs i have and should be good for another 300,000. All the parts i carry now fit in the rear quarter panel where the jack goes. Thats the limit to what i care, it has to fit in that space.
Again, if you've gone OEM with all replacement parts, those can be marked off the concern list for 100kmi at least. Prob double that more likely.
As such, spark plugs, coolant hoses, and air filter - given your description of intended use - would be the most I'd carry.

another thought occurred:
brake bolt hardware (front and rear)

Also something to consider is that if you smoke a tire somewhere, you might find that you will be waiting a while for a replacement due to delightful supply chain issues

extra AMBER GLOBE style illuminated FOG and AUX switches ........... :D:beer:

you can never have enough LAMPS on a dark
moon-less chilly night out on the perimeter where there are NO STARS ! ✨ 💫

fj621.jpg

fj626.jpg

fj623.jpg

DSCN4730.png

The circuit opening relay (COR), if it fails, will not allow powder to the fuel pump and you’ll be stranded. I replaced all fuses and relays that can kill an 80 and carry the old ones as spares.

Dual batteries is great and all but if you are truly remote and solo a jump start pack like the Antigravity units are worth there cost. Mine has a built in flashlight, and a couple USB ports for charging other devices as well as the capability to jump start the vehicle engine.

I understand which C clips you are referring to now.

Sorry to derail the thread, but do you still have the part numbers handy for the 'can kill an 80' fuses and relays?

I'm very slowly learning how my 80 works (and cars in general), and as I learn more, I realise I need to a) replace stuff or b) carry spares. I keep pushing the electrical system to the bottom of the list because it seems a bit more daunting than the rest!

Cheers,

Chang

AC belt
fan belts
spark plugs
FIPG new unopened
drive shaft bolts new x4
locking hub gaskets paper new x 4
inner front drive shaft rubber seal new x 2 90310-35710
radiator cap
axle c clips x 2
fusible link
Drain plug (allen head and magnetic center not sure if it transfer case or transmision)
Lower arm studs X 2 new
nuts x 2 new
cone washer X 2 new
motor oil drain gaskets
Relay 90987-0200483 X 1 new (EFI?)
Relay fuel pump 28380-66010 X 1 new
assorted hose clamps
assorted nuts bolts
assorted bulbs and fuses

Things i know i need to add and replace since i used them last:
Oil filter
Brake pads
Wiper blade inserts ( like to have these and they pack well)
rest of the gaskets and seals for birfields/wheel bearings service
would like to have spares of the other drain plugs and washers

What would you guys add or get rid of?
If you're trying to save space, I would probably get rid of the spark plugs, oil filter, brake pads, AC belt and wiper inserts. Most of these items can be purchased in any town and most of them do not fail in an unpredictable way or leave a rig stranded if they do. For example, you usually know when you'll be changing your oil and can plan ahead. Even if you had to do an emergency oil change, your old filter is fine to reuse for awhile if you can't find a new one. Brake pads are another one -- they can be inspected fairly easily and start making noises thousands of miles before they must be replaced.

I recommend carrying a multimeter, some of the larger and smaller size heater hoses so that you can bypass or replace a failed hose, a battery jump starter, a quart of motor oil, and probably one of those emergency GPS beacons.

Sorry to derail the thread, but do you still have the part numbers handy for the 'can kill an 80' fuses and relays?

I'm very slowly learning how my 80 works (and cars in general), and as I learn more, I realise I need to a) replace stuff or b) carry spares. I keep pushing the electrical system to the bottom of the list because it seems a bit more daunting than the rest!

Cheers,

Chang
Look through this. Maybe you’ll find what you are looking for. This forum is flush with knowledge all you has to do is read read read …..

here's what i carry
- belts
- fusible links
- extra fuses
- extra headlight bulb

Other than that is mostly tools and tarp to lay on, oh and eye protection. Find the parts locally but you will need the tools to check/re-torque stuff, or check on electrical stuff etc. In all my trips, i had to use the tools a bit for doing all that but thankfully didn't have to do any major repair on the road. The most work i've done on the dirt is fixing a rear locker that won't unlock.

I had to buy a starter (generic autoparts brand) while in middle of the trip. Thankfully i did not have to install it in middle of nowhere as I was able to get the truck started with the hammer. But carrying that unplanned additional box was annoying.

(assuming your touring within the US)

Last edited:
Look through this. Maybe you’ll find what you are looking for. This forum is flush with knowledge all you has to do is read read read …..

Thanks mate, I'm going through the wiring diagrams now and will likely eventually find my answer, was just chasing a quick win if you had a reciept or parts list with everything I'd need. Currently have some weirdness going on electrically ever since I installed a winch: Car wont start with winch connected, but if i turn the marine switch off then start, it runs fine. Some small dash (i think its called combination meter?) light bulbs blew as well, but unsure if thats related...

Winch is connected directly to + and - of battery, and with the marine switch on the + the winch is essentially disconnected altogether. I have no idea what could be going on... my only theory is that the factory chassis ground has a poor connection and the whole car is using the winch as its new ground now that its bolted to the - batt terminal. WIsh me luck...

I recently did a trip from Alabama to Death Valley. I had checked everything over before the trip obviously. I believe I packed more motor oil, some gear oil, multimeter, zip ties, duct tape and my socket set. Only issue I ended up having on the trip was a dead main battery. The only thing I ended up using was the motor oil and my multimeter.
The trip was mostly traveling on the interstate so I wasn't worried about breaking an axle or something. The best advice I've heard for long trips is to not make any huge changes immediately before the trip. Fix something you know of well before and be sure to give it time to be tested before you go. Like install new spark plugs and give it a week or two of testing/checking before a big trip so you know its not going to cause issues. Don't rebuild an axle last minute and then drive a few thousand miles from home.
The Scout motto is to "Be Prepared", which works a majority of the time. I also believe you should also go by the motto "Be Prepared to Do Without".

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom