Spare Parts for Adventuring (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

pappy

photosynthesizing
Threads
I like to adventure in remote places. Currently I have a 22RE 4Runner and I have a stash of spare parts I travel with for "what if" out in the boonies.

I'm in the process of transplanting a 3RZ. What are the weak links with this engine? Aside from belts and hoses. Are there any EFI parts that are prone to fail on these engines? Things like MAF, TPS, ECM, sensors, coils, etc. If you were going to assemble an oh'crap box of parts, what would you carry?

fuel pressure regulator, when it starts leaking, it drips right on exhaust. Serious fire hazard.

Bar of soap, and some PC11 two part epoxy, for oil pan and gas tank repair.

It's only one point of reference but my '03 Taco has 97K miles and has needed.....nothing. Impressive not for the miles but that in 15 years in the rust belt I've had no issues. Hanging out on the forums I'm not really aware of any issue that sticks out. Mt check engine light is on only because there is a vapor leak back by the fuel tank somewhere.

I would say give it a good visual inspection (particularly the rubber parts - I'm having a lot of cracking start), keep the electrical contacts clean and greased up with silicone grease.

fuel pressure regulator, when it starts leaking, it drips right on exhaust. Serious fire hazard.
Not on a 3RZ. Regulator is on the driver side. Exhaust is on the passenger side.

The only two parts I was told to carry (aside from my usual list) are the crank position sensor, and a MAF. Apparently those are the only two items on the engine that will leave you DOA. The remaining will at least allow one to limp home.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom