Spare or not? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
In today's world, tires are far better quality then ever before; tubes are pretty easy to install if you slash a tire (after appropriate stapling, of course).... so what do you think? I know I'm cursing myself, but I've not put a spare on a vehicle in .... I honestly can't remember - 15 years? 20 years? I know the last time I put a 4x4 wheel on - I slashed a tire in the early 20s, but even that could have been resolved with a tube rather then a swap.

So what about off-road? are we there yet?

IMHO this is very dependent on where and how you wheel, who you wheel with and what tire you run.
It is true that you can stitch up a sidewall gash and throw a tube in, which is a pretty cavalier statement if you have ever actually dismounted a tire and remounted it on the trail. However you may not be in a position to get the tire off the rig and fix it, ie bound up in an obstacle, sunk in mud, or the truck is off camber / unstable. Just getting into a position where you can safely remove the wheel may damage it beyond the point it can be cobbled back into use.

Conditional examples:
I typically run with two other guys and we all run the same tire/wheel combo. As long as one of us has a spare I feel comfortable.
When I ran TSL bias ply super swampers I carried a spare, but it was really overkill.
When I ran BFG AT's on solo trips in Northern Nevada I carried two spares. Those roads eat tires up fast.
If I'm just farting around in the hills where there is cell coverage I don't carry a spare.

I try to keep a spare because not everyone I can get a hold of can get to the mountains and I prefer to be self reliant. I would put a spare on if you can because I'd rather have one and not need it then need one and not have it because the tire was damaged beyond repair.

I think rusty_tlc brings up some good points although if your in a position where you can't get the tire off to fix it you also can't get the tire off to replace it. To me, the main deciding point is do you drive the rig home or trailer? If you drive, I'd want to have a spare because a stitched/repaired tire on the freeway does not sound appealing. I've seen 7" gashes sewn and plugged and continue to work just fine ON THE TRAIL. I would not have wanted to drive home on them though. I run 42" Rockers and I always trailer and don't carry a spare on the trail. I do cover my bases though by carrying a full sized spare in the bed of my truck just in case of a catastrophic failure. Better safe than sorry.

In today's world, tires are far better quality then ever before; tubes are pretty easy to install if you slash a tire (after appropriate stapling, of course).... so what do you think? I know I'm cursing myself, but I've not put a spare on a vehicle in .... I honestly can't remember - 15 years? 20 years? I know the last time I put a 4x4 wheel on - I slashed a tire in the early 20s, but even that could have been resolved with a tube rather then a swap.

So what about off-road? are we there yet?
I carried a spare in my 40 and those were military bead locks (which in theory would be pretty straight forward to do a trail side repair with). Considering what your original intention was with your rig (Ultimate Overlander), I would think carrying a spare would keep with the "overlanding" idea of self reliance.
I agree whole-heartedly with @rusty_tlc that dismounting a tire on trail would be a nightmare, particularly if you're by yourself.

when was the last time you absolutely had to replace the tire with a spare?
High Rock Canyon a couple of years ago, a willow staub sliced the sidewall. I may have been able to kluge some kind of patch on, however I was with a group of 10 rigs and there were at least 5 behind me with no bypass. I doubt they would have been pleased with me spending an hour trying to do a trail repair on my tire, there was also the 200 mile drive back to Reno to think about.

Its not just what is possible to do it's what is practical and considerate.

I think rusty_tlc brings up some good points although if your in a position where you can't get the tire off to fix it you also can't get the tire off to replace it. ........
But if you render the tire useless getting to a safe spot you can replace it if you have a spare.

But if you render the tire useless getting to a safe spot you can replace it if you have a spare.

True, but that scenario is rather unlikely. I don't know about anyone else, but after 20+ years of serious wheeling I've never damaged a tire to the point where it can't be fixed. Not that it can't happen, but it's just very unlikely. So, IMHO, it's not a contributing factor in determining whether or not a spare should be carried.

You do search an rescue correct SBG? If so would it be easier to have a spare in case you blew a side wall vs trying to fix it at that moment?

I stand by my comment about not once in 20 years.... life's a risk, in SAR it's risk mitigation. In the case you suggest - I'd simply send the tire down the trail with one of the other rigs.... by yourself in the hinterlands, I see the need for a tire or two, but around here? I'd suggest you'd have to work pretty hard to not be found in 48 hours (e.g. flying yourself into a tree wearing a brown and green wingsuit is the current "long term lost record holder" on our books)

To quote myself the original question is highly conditional.
IMHO this is very dependent on where and how you wheel, who you wheel with and what tire you run.........

It sounds like you already made the decision to me.

I've been paying for car insurance for decades and have never filed a claim.

Is car insurance necessary?

(disregarding the fact that it's now the law)

Ive never, not once, needed to swap a spare tire while driving in the USA (roads) ever.

It seems that every other trip I take to Baja results in a destroyed tire.

It all depends on where you drive.

Don't know if this matters to you or not but most tlca or 4 wheel drive events require a spare.

I sliced a sidewall coming up out of a narrow muddy tree root filled creek gully. It was narrow enough that I could only just squeeze my 65kg frame out the drivers window and scramble out to assess the situation. No way to reverse out and a steep climb going forwards. By the time I powered out the tire was beyond repair and off the rim. No option but to use my spare. I wouldn't rely solely on a patch kit, plus if I need to patch a tire I'd rather do it while relaxing in camp of an evening after getting there on my spare.

Don't know if this matters to you or not but most tlca or 4 wheel drive events require a spare.

Full sized spare? Wished I would have seen this thread, I just started a very similar poll in the 80 section. Looking at doing a smaller sized tucked away spare vs. a 315 swing out. Not hardcore enough, I digress.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom