Spare fuel bladders in the doors? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

So maybe not fuel bladders but steel mini-fuel tanks mounted in the rear quarter panel cavities? (Wits End Cargo area auxilary fuel tanks:idea:)

Or, put a fuel bladder in a crush resistant box on the roof (upset CG of
the vehicle, struck by lightning and go up in smoke??)

Or, convert to Tesla electric drive, but then again batteries can
catch fire.

OK, how about this, instead of batteries for an electric conversion, coat the exterior of the vehicle in some of that experimental solar cell paint (I saw it on youtubby)??

In the end it's probably going to be quicker/easier/cheaper/safer to install a custom made traditional fuel tank in place of the stock tank.

Interesting discussion however.

Last edited:
Once the fuel level in the tubing reaches the level of the tank the majority of the pressure will be equalized. At that point you are relying on the pressure created by the 1/4 gallon of fuel in the filler neck to supply enough pressure via gravity to fill these bags. Not to mention that this pressure must overcome the force needed to open the bags. someone on here can do the math on this but it isn't going to work.

In about 20 years, Oregon will have caught up to us.
[/QUO

I know so again I may move again and by then I will be 76 and will not care , you must be voting in them types since you seem so proud of Oregon catching up :rolleyes:

OK, so this is starting to become a viable alternative. One big advantage of the seat cushion idea is that it sort of naturally "pumps" the gas back into the tank, eliminating the need for a siphoning system. It also works at all angles. In order for the seat not to collapse, though, you may have to pressurize the gas tank, but I think most 80s already do that

Like this
EVzqWgy.png

Good tech.
Issue with this plan is constant change in seat height dynamics. You can already see the test driver in this drawing would have trouble reaching the pedals until the seat fuel bladder is near empty. A taller driver would be fine when the bladder is full and have horrible ergonomics as the bladder empties.
I would recommend a second compensating bladder run from a compressor that would inflate/deflate inverse of the fuel bladder. This would create a constant for the driver rather than an ever changing seating configuration.

Once the fuel level in the tubing reaches the level of the tank the majority of the pressure will be equalized. At that point you are relying on the pressure created by the 1/4 gallon of fuel in the filler neck to supply enough pressure via gravity to fill these bags. Not to mention that this pressure must overcome the force needed to open the bags. someone on here can do the math on this but it isn't going to work.

Which configuration are you discussing, door bladders or seat bladders?

Good tech.
Issue with this plan is constant change in seat height dynamics. You can already see the test driver in this drawing would have trouble reaching the pedals until the seat fuel bladder is near empty. A taller driver would be fine when the bladder is full and have horrible ergonomics as the bladder empties.
I would recommend a second compensating bladder run from a compressor that would inflate/deflate inverse of the fuel bladder. This would create a constant for the driver rather than an ever changing seating configuration.
Exactly. thank you for your insightful and additive posts. What about just using bleed air from the exhaust?

Exactly. thank you for your insightful and additive posts. What about just using bleed air from the exhaust?

As an environmentally concerned human, I like the idea of reusing something that is otherwise wasted. My only real concern would be odor from the exhaust in the passenger compartment.

OK, so this is starting to become a viable alternative. One big advantage of the seat cushion idea is that it sort of naturally "pumps" the gas back into the tank, eliminating the need for a siphoning system. It also works at all angles. In order for the seat not to collapse, though, you may have to pressurize the gas tank, but I think most 80s already do that

Like this
EVzqWgy.png
A-W-E-S-O-M-E

As an environmentally concerned human, I like the idea of reusing something that is otherwise wasted. My only real concern would be odor from the exhaust in the passenger compartment.
Well, as I said, most 80s already tend to build up pressure in the gas tank anyway so it should probably be fine. I think the hydropnuematic seat cushion would be like the 100-series "AHC" for the driver. Pretty awesome, actually.

It would be handy to have a small valve where the current power seat adjustments are, you know, bleed off some of that pressure for the proper height. Then you can just put the window down if the fumes bother you, or not.

^ Yeah, make it a sticky in the 200 section. I think those folk need to see what 'real' tech is... :flush:

cheers,
george.

Like this
EVzqWgy.png

I owned a 1976 bicentennial model single cab F-150 4x4.

That photo above reminds of one of its most distinguishing features: In addition to decals of eagles and flags, it had a very large and suicidal aux fuel tank in the cab behind the bench seat.

That truck died when a friend borrowed it to cut firewood; it caught fire and burned up. Luckily nobody died.

I kept his phone message for years:

"Um, hey. I'm here with the fire department. Your truck is one fire. Actually, it's pretty much burned up."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom