Spare fuel bladders in the doors? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

nukegoat

Should have bought a Jeep
SILVER Star
Threads
Rather than taking up valuable ground clearance, has anyone stored bags of fuel in the doors? If the bags were airtight, they could expand and collapse on their own to accommodate the extra fuel from the gas tank.

I imagine basically drilling 4 holes into the bottom of the tank, silicone in some pvc hoses that route to each door through the wiring harness loom, then using like a large tire ball in each door to hold the gas

Obviously you'd have to raise the filler neck to deal with gravity or whatever but they would auto siphon perfectly

My basic calculations estimate you could get another 15 to 17 gallons in the doors

Lmao you're gonna explode if someone hits you

Lmao you're gonna explode if someone hits you
I knew someone ignorant of chemical engineering would say that. If the bladders are airtight, there is no air to combust. Gas without oxygen doesn't burn. Since they will collapse as the bags empty, no problem.

This is why the tubes also need to come from the bottom of the tank, not the top

Being drenched with gasoline in a rollover or side impact does not concern you?

This thread is where a flame suit would come in really handy.

This makes a lot of sense, surprised it hasn’t been done before. Is there a source for the fuel bags, or will these need to be engineered? Ideas for raising the filler neck, galvanized pipe and a no hub plumbing fitting should do the trick?

They will certainly combust when Karen T-bones you with her mini van, thus splitting your airtight system wide open.

Playing into the fantasy here....I dont think the tubes could be big enough to fill quickly enough before the gas would just overflow the filler neck...too much distance + small hose diameter most likely....but I know all that could be figured out / engineered. Just thinking of how rapidly a standard gas pump pumps.

I would do the cage, bumper and slider tubes before the doors

Hmm, it's nearly the 1st, but not April...

Nutty idea at best. I guess your windows never go down?

There's plenty of room under the rear floor of the 80 to get a 20 gallon tank installed and still have it sit level with the bottom of the frame. The factory oem tank (about 14 gallons) can fit and still have the bracket and spare tyre below it.

I use a bladder in my patrol in oz, but it is for water and sits under a false floor in the cargo area. I really would not like to store petrol in any area that can easily leak into the human/cargo area.

cheers,
george.

@nukegoat I think you are on to something and imagine that what you are really after is the damping effect that the bladders would have on resonant frequencies that are harmful to head gaskets. I can say that this fuel-bladder-in-doors mod would move my fear of head gasket failure down to non-noticeable status.

@nukegoat I think you are on to something and imagine that what you are really after is the damping effect that the bladders would have on resonant frequencies that are harmful to head gaskets. I can say that this fuel-bladder-in-doors mod would move my fear of head gasket failure down to non-noticeable status.
However, equal consideration has to be given for how they are going to affect the acoustics of the sound system.

mad-max-guitar-guy-gif-6.gif

I'm in if you design it for the rear quarter panels.

💥

I knew someone ignorant of chemical engineering would say that. If the bladders are airtight, there is no air to combust. Gas without oxygen doesn't burn. Since they will collapse as the bags empty, no problem.

This is why the tubes also need to come from the bottom of the tank, not the top

Bro....

PVC and fuel!?

Cheers

I would want some sort of hose bib out the side of my drivers door for hand washing purposes. Sometimes I have greasy hands after working on EGR valves, head gaskets, and knuckle nuts on the side of the road. I'd hate to hop in and get grease on the wheel. Gasoline is a great hand cleaner.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom