Spam, spam, spam, spam, spam & spam (1 Viewer)

Do you like Spam?

• Yes I love it

Votes: 43 67.2%
  • Cant stand the stuff

Votes: 10 15.6%
  • Never tried it, but it sounds awful

Votes: 4 6.3%
  • I have a good e-mail filter and never get any.

Votes: 7 10.9%

• Total voters

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Looks like SPAM may have sub-culture following here on MUD, may have to give it a second try now that I have been schooled.....like most things- sheesh. Has Iron Chef used SPAM for a cooking challenge?!- Ha!
SPAM has a reputation that is largely undeserved. Most people claim they don't like it and have never tried it, or had it prepared poorly.

Add some chopped pecans to those bacon pancakes for a real treat!

this might be my new favorite thread. Here's some spam musubi I made up for a company party also with a tray of haupia for desert.

God i love spam, got myself a craving now
IMAG0311.jpg

this might be my new favorite thread. Here's some spam musubi I made up for a company party also with a tray of haupia for desert.

God i love spam, got myself a craving now
Details on how to make that please?

ho bra, spam musubi is 5 kinds of simple, da original hawaiian power bar.

Cook up some sticky white rice - don't start getting healthy on me and use brown rice.

Fry/saute slices of spam, can get 8 good ones from each can. Try wait, marinate the spam first in a mix of shoyu (soy sauce), oyster sauce, and some brown sugar. As far as how much of all those ingredients hard to tell, maybe less oyster than shoyu and only table spoon of brown sugar.

NoW Fry dem suckahs.

Cut up Nori (seaweed for sushi rolls) each sheet in half. I have a musubi press to make it the box shape, used to be able to get an 8 pack of spam with a press at costco hawaii, not any more. If your mcgyver you can use the can the spam came in to form 'em.

Place nori down, pile of rice on top, spam on top rice (martha stewarts out there can sprinkle some furiake - a sesame seed/nori/spice mix on the rice for added awesome).

Roll the nori around the layers and let sit. for storing best to use clingwrap to get it all in there. best when warm, but fine cold too. Add teryaki sauce to the marinade if you crave some teri on your spam.

onnolicious grindz

ho bra, spam musubi is 5 kinds of simple, da original hawaiian power bar.

Cook up some sticky white rice - don't start getting healthy on me and use brown rice.

Fry/saute slices of spam, can get 8 good ones from each can. Try wait, marinate the spam first in a mix of shoyu (soy sauce), oyster sauce, and some brown sugar. As far as how much of all those ingredients hard to tell, maybe less oyster than shoyu and only table spoon of brown sugar.

NoW Fry dem suckahs.

Cut up Nori (seaweed for sushi rolls) each sheet in half. I have a musubi press to make it the box shape, used to be able to get an 8 pack of spam with a press at costco hawaii, not any more. If your mcgyver you can use the can the spam came in to form 'em.

Place nori down, pile of rice on top, spam on top rice (martha stewarts out there can sprinkle some furiake - a sesame seed/nori/spice mix on the rice for added awesome).

Roll the nori around the layers and let sit. for storing best to use clingwrap to get it all in there. best when warm, but fine cold too. Add teryaki sauce to the marinade if you crave some teri on your spam.

onnolicious grindz
I'm making that next time I make some California rolls, to offset the healthful aspect of the meal.:lol:

I really had no idea SPAM had this type of sub-culture following- I like it! Found myself this past weekend at the grocery store looking at a SPAM in a completely different light/understanding. I really like these new receipe ideas! Time to practice with my chop-sticks!

I really had no idea SPAM had this type of sub-culture following- I like it! Found myself this past weekend at the grocery store looking at a SPAM in a completely different light/understanding. I really like these new receipe ideas! Time to practice with my chop-sticks!
Come over to the dark side Van, you know you want to.:grinpimp:

Come over to the dark side Van, you know you want to.:grinpimp:

Dan,

If my crusier friends say its good, it has to be good- right? :rolleyes: Seriously, I think we are always one step away from the darkside. :hmm: :D

You gotta use sticky rice too. Not the same as plain rice: Add one tablespoon of sugar and one of rice vinegar to each cup of rice.

For that island flavor grindz, you can substitute Huli Huli sauce.

If you get in a bind, you can use a sushi roll mat to roll them up.

51TW4W9JZFL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

I make California rolls about twice a month we have sticky rice down pat.
And we have a couple of sushi mats.

How about sticks of spam fried up as described above rolled with green onion?

Here's my breakfast from this morning...half inch slice of spam cut into four pieces lengthwise. Grill some onions, and place them in a pile inside the spam box. Whip an egg with a little water and pour it in the middle, mix it with the onions to fry. Scoop the whole thing up and put it on a slice of rye toast.

How about sticks of spam fried up as described above rolled with green onion?

Sky's the limit with spam, like madinal this morning - my mouth is watering a bit.

Watched a chick in my class plow through a spam musubi with an egg in it - that's a protein pack.

Grocery shopping at lunch time today and picked up some SPAM. I'll report back......with pics. Thanks Dan... this is a slippery slope in to SPAM....

Last edited:
What a great thread! I'm one of those spam snobs. I have tried it before, but it was a long time ago. Reading this thread makes me think I need to go back and give it another try.

It is a unique product. I'm not sure it has any competitors.

What a great thread! I'm one of those spam snobs. I have tried it before, but it was a long time ago. Reading this thread makes me think I need to go back and give it another try.

It is a unique product. I'm not sure it has any competitors.
Not so, visit any Asian market and you will find a product called "Luncheon Meat" produced by a number of companies which closely resembles Spam.

Not so, visit any Asian market and you will find a product called "Luncheon Meat" produced by a number of companies which closely resembles Spam.

Dan you really know this SPAM stuff don't you?!! Next to the SPAM on the shelf at my local grocery store was a variety of Luncheon Meat flavors competing for my interest, it gave me even more of an insatiable courosity to learn more of the SPAM. Too busy this AM and tomorrow to grill some up so I'll give it a go on Saturday.

Ever been to Brudda's in Gardena ! Damn Man! I head down once a month for my fix, Loco Moco, Portugese Sausage, Spam, sticky rice, brown gravy, serious belly buster.
Daughters boyfriend is Native, lives with us, musubi is always on hand....Spam, the super food and bags of Poi, the longer you let it ferment the better it gets

Sky's the limit with spam, like madinal this morning - my mouth is watering a bit.

Watched a chick in my class plow through a spam musubi with an egg in it - that's a protein pack.

Ever been to Brudda's in Gardena ! Damn Man! I head down once a month for my fix, Loco Moco, Portugese Sausage, Spam, sticky rice, brown gravy, serious belly buster.
Daughters boyfriend is Native, lives with us, musubi is always on hand....Spam, the super food and bags of Poi, the longer you let it ferment the better it gets
they closed the L&L by me:frown:
I'm going to miss Loco Moco.

Dan you really know this SPAM stuff don't you?!! Next to the SPAM on the shelf at my local grocery store was a variety of Luncheon Meat flavors competing for my interest, it gave me even more of an insatiable courosity to learn more of the SPAM. Too busy this AM and tomorrow to grill some up so I'll give it a go on Saturday.
My sub specialty is box wine.:lol:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom