Spacing between frame rails on a Gen 3 4 runner (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi Folks

I have a 90 series Landcruiser in Ontario Canada - I need a trailer hitch for it.

Of course, you can not call up U-haul or draw tie dealer and get a cross-reference to a 90series prado hitch without getting a "what was that make again" and a long pause on the other end of the phone .

BUT a 90 series is very close to a 3rd Gen and from what I have googled so far a 3rd gen hitch should fit. To be sure does someone know the spacing between the mounting bolts (frame rale to frame rail) on a gen 3

Thanx in advance for any answers

Last edited:
Just measured mine at 36 & 3/4”. That’s the actual width, outside to outside on the vertical part of the metal frame of the factory hitch of my 1997 4Runner.

The bolts measured at 39 & 5/16 on center.

Thank you so much - I just measured it up and 39 & 5/8 um er 5/16 is close enough from what I could eyeball from the arms stretch and the bend around the meaty tow hook mounted there now.

But with every thing shut down it may be a bit before I get one - But thanx

The 3G 4Runner and 90 Prado share identically same parts for the frame-side suspension mounts and panhard cross-member in the rear (as well as identically same suspension link arms etc), but the rear-most cross-member on the frame is different and appears to be in a slightly different location.

That being said, I think you'd have a good bet getting the 3G 4Runner tow bar to mount up--might have to drill your own mount holes for it. I'd try it if it were me.

So I did not finish off this thread - Bad on my part as I hate threads that ask a question but over show the conclusion.

I found a wrecker about an hour away that had an "Excelent"98 hitch... Yea right...

1604412353360.png

She buffed up good.

1604412545941.png

4 new 4 Runner bolts from a Toyota Canada discount part supplier...

1604412701018.png

And she was all set. A 3" drop ball from Princess Auto makes our Utility trailer run level.

1604412793058.png

I have a thread in the 90's tech (Prado to not Canada, misc blathering on) which goes over the wiring which was a bit of a pain.

Exactly like the thread reads - Yes

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom