spacers or modify the wheel backspacing? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
gents,

need your recommendation here. I have just put in a set of 36"x12.5R15 simex for my truck. My steel wheels backspsacing is about 3.25" and it kinda rub a bit when i do a full turn on the steering left and right.

To correct this, what's the best thing to do? Modify the wheel's backspacing by cutting it and moving negatively to obtain at least 2" of BS. Or, just slap in a set of wheel spacers? If yes, what's the minimum thickness of spacer should I put? Also, should i put in spacers on all corners or just the front end is enough.

Looking forward to hearing your say on this guys.

TIA

gado

Howdy! Depends on where it is rubbing. On the frame=adjust the stops on the axle, on the fenders, on the TRE's?? John

Wheel spacers are always problematic, as they tend to put additional stain on the wheel studs. If you don't have full floating rear axles then you may have problems there too. They may also have legal issues depending on your regulatory body/insurance company.

With the size tyres you have(36x12.5x15) they represent quite a windage load change on the hubs over what stock 7.50x16 or 31x10.5x15' wheel/tyre combination. So my bet would be to get the wheels back spacing altered, or find a set with the right back spacing. That'll save you snapping wheel studs.

We call them Sunraysia's you guys call them wagon wheels, but there are a number of different makers of them. I've got a set of 4 with the same pattern and backspacing and two which are different back spacing and size of triangles and one which is different again in backspacing/style. So you should find something off the rack to suit, if you can't get your modified.

That's my pennys worth.

I would not think spacers would put any additional strain on any parts, it would be no different then having a rim with less back spacing. Both would move the wheel further out putting the exact same strain on the vehicle. I am talking about the spacers that bolt to the axles and then have studs to bolt the wheels to, in theory once the spacer is bolted to the wheel stress wise would have the exact effect.

Spacers will double the number of studs, not that wheel studs break that often but is considered adding a weak link.

I would go with spacers before I would cut and weld the rims.

I had a problem with backspacing too. My rims were 4"...not good. The friend that let me help him build the rig heated and bent the steering arm to fit. I up graded my rods, ends and the dust boots were close. After a couple of hard trail rides the soft arm bent out and twisted. I had a 2" toe in.

I bought the Spydertrax 1 1/2" spacers. I was already running a 1/4" spacer so the gain was only 2 1/2". I am happy with result and will get them for the rear too. Front only now. So far I think it's a good product.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom