spacers and no lift (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
howdy fellas, i'm debating on putting 1" spacers on my 97 with no lift, have many done this? i'm thinking that steering may become rather harsh, but not sure, i've heard of people doing this but not sure, anyone ran this combo? good/bad? thanks

On my previous vehicle- 05 Tacoma I put 3" coil spacers on the front springs. It made the ride very harsh. I had to go sllooooowwww over speed bumps or I would knock my teeth out.

If you have the money, just do it right.

I have heard that you will raise the rig slightly but still have the same saggy spring problem similiar to the 'drunken sailor' feeling. I have researched this extensively.

The approach that I am taking is the OME 861/862 Low Lift. You get to keep your stock shocks(unless they are shot) and no caster correction. This should raise your truck .25" in the front and .75" in the rear. Also adding a 10mm trim packer in the front to compensate for the brush guard I have up there (temporary until I can get an ARB Bull Bar).

The parts will cost me under $300 with shipping and have a chap to install them for less than $200. Many folks like the low lift and the 80 series has been through hell and back with just the stock suspension. If you do minor off road and mostly on-road travelling...this would be the cheapest route for you. Oh yes...if you are interested in the 2.5 OME lift (to do it right) you will need new shocks and caster correction. You will read various opinions on this but the consensus is that you need both if you lift beyond 1".

Your call...good luck with the research.

Dave

talking about spring spacers, mainly just looking to make a little extra room for 285s

285's will fit stock. I wouldn't put spring spacers on stock springs, too soft.

howdy fellas, i'm debating on putting 1" spacers on my 97 with no lift, have many done this? i'm thinking that steering may become rather harsh, but not sure, i've heard of people doing this but not sure, anyone ran this combo? good/bad? thanks

I did it. No ill effects. It didn't suddley steer harsh, or ride harsh, in fact, barely noticed it as far as driving.

Ultimately went to J's, but figgured for $40, and ability to get them locally, figured, why not.

i have 285's on and a fat slee bumper and it doesn't rub.

stinkbug yes, rub, no.

i replaced my saggin springs with a new set from a fellow mudder that was lifting theres and while at it added 1/2" spacers. i gained between 3/4" and 1" at each wheel depending on how much it was sagging there. it also sits better when loaded now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom