Wanted Southern Indiana: 40th Anniversary Edition (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Year
Vehicle Model
  1. 80 Series
I am in southern Indiana and I’m on the hunt for a 40th Anniversary Edition 80. A little background: This would replace my 95 in Moonglow, which runs great and I love it, but it would be beaten out only by a 40th. When I was shopping before I got my 95, I just missed out on a sage 40th by offering too late, and it always hurts me a little when I think about it. My plan would be to use it as a semi-daily, splitting miles between it and a gas saver. My intent would be to basically keep it forever, so know it would be well cared for.

Some specifics:
  • Antique Sage preferred, but definitely willing to consider any color!
  • MUST be rust free. My 95 is from SoCal so I’m spoiled regarding rust
  • Stock or very close
  • Good paint and leather. They don’t have to be perfect, but I don’t want destroyed leather or something needing significant paint work either. I’m not afraid of recovering seats or a new paint job long term, but I’d really love something that'll look pretty good OEM for awhile
  • It DOES NOT need to be triple locked.
  • I'm not too afraid of higher mileage as long as it's been cared for.
  • Maintenance history is of course a bonus, and some baselining is acceptable as expected for a truck as old as these are
I am willing to travel pretty much anywhere in the US for the right truck, or to ship if the conditions are right. Since it’ll likely be some distance from me and could have a long trip home, I’ll probably want to get a PPI done (on my dime of course).

My budget is probably in the 12-15k range. I know this may be a limiting factor, especially for the very clean and lower mileage examples. But, I want to see what’s out there that someone may be willing to part with. Nothing ventured, nothing gained I suppose. Send me a PM if you have anything that fits the bill or is reasonably close to it and we can talk about it. Thanks!

Hey, a guy has to shoot his shot.....plus I DID say probably 12-15k 🤫

Last edited:
Looks like a nice one. Probably gone. Price seemed right on it. I am thinking the truck you discribed in this market is likely a $25k now. If you could find a clean one with a blown engine or trans then $15ish might get it, but you would spend over $2k to ship it and $5 to $10k for the motor or trans for one. If you have a rust free moon glow then I would spend the money to make it the best it can be and enjoy it. They are certainly worth the investment.

40TH = ASP or DEP, there are no other colors to consider.

Looks like a nice one. Probably gone. Price seemed right on it. I am thinking the truck you discribed in this market is likely a $25k now. If you could find a clean one with a blown engine or trans then $15ish might get it, but you would spend over $2k to ship it and $5 to $10k for the motor or trans for one. If you have a rust free moon glow then I would spend the money to make it the best it can be and enjoy it. They are certainly worth the investment.
With some more thought I agree this is my best bet. I have seen a few "good" deals on 40ths, but the same money could get my truck to be pretty cherry. I love it and having a 40th would only be for clout, so it probably isn't worth the effort and money to switch.

Your Moonglow is a very desirable color and if rust free well worth the money to restore. I have spent as much on my 40th as I purchased it for and it is nearly complete. Even with the investment, the recent price increases have made my expenses seem cheap.

I was lucky and my paint was very good, I have done axles, brakes, new leather, 2" lift, new tires, and refinished OEM wheels, Post up some photos on the 80 forum and we can all give you sources for new parts for your restoration etc. You never know, someone might want to trade you for a 40th.

Your Moonglow is a very desirable color and if rust free well worth the money to restore. I have spent as much on my 40th as I purchased it for and it is nearly complete. Even with the investment, the recent price increases have made my expenses seem cheap.

I was lucky and my paint was very good, I have done axles, brakes, new leather, 2" lift, new tires, and refinished OEM wheels, Post up some photos on the 80 forum and we can all give you sources for new parts for your restoration etc. You never know, someone might want to trade you for a 40th.
Thanks for the positive feedback and advice - sounds like a good idea. I have a lot to learn from everyone on here!

Listed today. Seems to fit the bill, but I’ve not contacted. My guess is it’s hard from Indiana, and someone in CA will buy it before you get the chance. Gl

1997 Toyota Land Cruiser 40th Anniversary Edition - cars & trucks -... - https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/cto/d/san-jose-1997-toyota-land-cruiser-40th/7346512758.html

(That said, if you do buy it and the front seats are in decent condition, I’d love to trade mine / purchase them)
Why are Craigslist ads such a joke though? Pics look like they were taken with a 1998 cellphone. Everything is blurry, terrible lighting, hard reflections from the trees. 2 pics of the exterior lol? People seriously put zero effort into selling these trucks. It’s not a $1,200 Honda Civic that they’re selling, like take 5 minutes and snap some decent fking pics.

Why are Craigslist ads such a joke though? Pics look like they were taken with a 1998 cellphone. Everything is blurry, terrible lighting, hard reflections from the trees. 2 pics of the exterior lol? People seriously put zero effort into selling these trucks. It’s not a $1,200 Honda Civic that they’re selling, like take 5 minutes and snap some decent fking pics.
Haha I hear you. But sometimes that’s where deals can be found. Paint doesn’t look terrible given the pics. I almost always ask for more before going to view, although if I saw that one earlier I might have driven and looked out of curiosity. But I don’t need/want it and no time this coming week.

here’s another one in FL on FB marketplace with a super limited description and poor rating on seller. But maybe it’s worth it to someone to look/ask more. Log into Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/836215160644485/

That truck looks fantastic as these things go. Obviously some paint work. Price is pretty close to value due to miles. At point, your purchasing price is just for the shell of a 97 40th. Engine, paint, interior is really something that you will have to do anyway on most. Shipping would be a couple grand so that is also a factor. I would run a carfax to ensure how hard it was hit. That fender might still be original or not. Look for the VIN tag on it.

If you want one this is the way to buy one. I NEVER see finished 40th models for sale.

I got some additional videos on the 40th in California on Craigslist. It does seem to fit the bill for my price range, where I can't expect too much perfection. When I consider shipping costs and some paint and interior refresh, I feel like the money may be better spent sprucing up my 95 that I already have a good handle on. I appreciate all the links to the listed trucks from everyone though. I suppose I am realizing just how particular I am and how truly wild the market is, especially for a truck like this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom