South American 1981 fj60 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

81Red60

SILVER Star
Threads
After over a year of searching I think I have found my next Fj. I have been searching on all the popular sites here in Colombia (TuCarro, OLX, Facebook marketplace) and haven’t seen anything that impressive. Over a month ago I found a promising ad for a 1981 that looked like it was in decent shape. I finally got to see it today and I am ready to take it home.

PHOTO-2019-08-07-18-25-35.jpg

I checked all the usual issues and the frame is completely rust free with only a few small areas on the body that have already been treated. The owner said he put an old man emu suspension on it about 7 years ago and upgraded to the larger tires. It started up and drove well. I will need to go over the brakes since they were way to firm

Cool truck. I like the moulded vinyl floor covering. It also looks like it’s got a Saginaw power steering pump on it.

Does it need any official inspections when you buy it, or does Colombia not do that?

You have to have an official insurance plan (soat) and a technical inspection every year I think. This car is good till next February but I hear the inspection on an older car is more of box checking exercise.

What's the market like for these down in Colombia? AKA How much is the guy asking for this one?

The market for Fj60/62s is small but prices aren’t too bad. I have seen a few high roof models and some odd models that came out of the factory in Venezuela. The real market is for the fj40 series which are everywhere and are far cheaper than in the states. I am buying this one for a little more than 7k due to the awesome exchange rate. The usd is the highest it has ever been against the Colombian peso. To get an idea take a look at the website TuCarro and use an exchange rate of 3,400 pesos to the dollar.

Another plus is bodywork is super cheap down here. I have a friend that is having a frame off restoration done for 5-6k usd. I will try to get him to post his on here so the forum can see the level of detail they put into it.

Truck looks very clean. If frame is good, and it runs well, seems like a keeper?

That is the plan. I had to sell my 87 Fj60 when we moved here but always planned to replace it. I ordered a bunch of goodies from cityracer and NLXTACY this week in preparation for its arrival.

Super clean, the dash looks great and I like the amby doors and front split bench. But where’s the alternator at?

Underneath the Saginaw power steering pump. Tomorrow I am going to sign the official contract and Register the sale with the dmv. Then I have to wait for the owner to return on the 21st to pay for the car and take possession.

Good news! I got registered today at the dmv so the car could be transferred to my name. While I was there we got a call from the sellers guy and he said I could pick it up today. After I got off work I met the middle man and he went over all the documents and made the sale final. As a bonus, he included the complete paperwork history of the car from July 1981 to today. I have the original build sheet/import documents, every single registration card and all the maintenance records. I drove her home and got familiar with her and made a list of near term projects:

1. Brake overhaul
2. Remove the gas system
3. Adjust the clutch
4. Replace a few lightbulbs

Where is the truck?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom