South American 1978 FJ40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.esteecuador.blogspot.com
Hi from Ecuador,

My wife and I live down in Ecuador, teaching at an international school. We´re considering an FJ purchase, and this forum seems like a great place to start on this journey. I´m a gumby, but I´ve got a serious father-in-law mechanic to consult with, and this vehicle seems to be in great shape. So, what do you all think of the looks of this thing? Anybody know of differences associated with South American FJ´s? Also, any known mechanical issues I should be on the lookout for before I buy? Finally, will I be able to bring this home to Colorado with me eventually?

Thanks in advance, I´ve had fun reading your posts,
Tim

photo

photo

frontal-01-small.jpg

Last edited:
looks like alot of body work has been done previously...emblems in wrong spots missing some...better check the body really well...it looks very decieving....being south america...it may be some shoddy work...lokkd under and all around for puddy and replced panels.

I agree with John on this...... I would go over that thing from top to bottom with a magnet and look closly in the rear and underside of the rig for bondo and rust.

Fresh shiney paint and emblems missing and in wrong spots makes me thing that she is a fresh rebuild and someone looking to make some quick cash.

seats don't look like the right ones. they look like an early model setup. I don't know about rigs in SA but, up here Toyota went to buckets in the front on 1974(?)

Also, the front turn signals are from a 70 seris Cruiser..... not a big deal but not right. Although I do like them!

Finally, will I be able to bring this home to Colorado with me eventually?

Thanks in advance, I´ve had fun reading your posts,
Tim

Yes. Since it is older than 25 years, it is a piece of cake to bring to the U.S. While you're down there, you should look for others to ship back.

You guys are amazing

Thanks, so much, keep it coming! I take it to the mechanic this afternoon, so I need things to ask about. The guy selling it seems to be honest....but who knows before him! Wow, there are so many of these trucks down here, and the climate in Ecuador seems to be very forgiving on the bodies!

If they are all over you could easily start up a side business locating good 25 year old trucks and ship them up here. Not kidding at all. Have you seen any 45s or 55s? As everyone has already stated that 40 looks like it has had some extensive body work done and they love the body filler down there.

too good to be true...

Hmmm, maybe it is too good to be true.

I´m going to have to think hard about this, I really do like the guy selling it, AND he speaks English...went to the school I teach at, but, I don´t want too many troubles. He´s asking $5,800, if everything checks out I think I´ll offer $4,000.

There are all sorts of old Land Cruisers and Land Rovers as well floating around here, unfortunately I don´t yet have the knowledge to know what´s good and what´s crap (or even what the models are). Maybe this truck will be the first step to that export biz!

Thanks again for the help

I was hoping the seats were OEM, the seller is claiming only 77K miles, and the seats certainly feel like that could be the truth...if they are original.

Yeah, from some of the other SA cruisers, the bench seat looks correct.

Let me know if you need a point of contact in Colorado to ship Land Cruisers out of SA. I'd be more than happy to help with this Land Cruiser refugee project.

If it was me, I'd try to find a BJ-40 series instead of the FJ. Same basic vehicle, but with a FAR more efficient diesel engine (and never available in the US).

The emblem issue would be the biggest concern I've got from looking at that.

FWIW--my HJ-45 was originally from Honduras, and from 20 feet it's presentable looking. Up close--it needs some serious help.

Dan

Read before you jump! Thats what I did. Spend time here on mud and get an education. It will pay dividends later when you are ready to buy. (Especially if there are lots of trucks floating around down there.) The problem up here is that you kind of have to take what is available.

about south american toys............:hmm:little rust, no salt on roads except when close to the sea!!; my experience when there was I was able to see some great panel beaters; not having our resources people in developing countries have had to improvise and have done a remarkable job of preserving some very nice vehicles as daily drivers; my 0.02;) might check for frame damage and I think that if the motor ticks over; has power and shifts nicely you have a nice truck for a nice price!; emblems??; hmmmm, import taxes were unf**** believable when I was there; so small parts like emblems were unobtanium in addition to the fact that people would swipe them to resell!, living on a couple $ a day might be painful:frown: I remember not so long ago in eastern Europe people would remove their headlights and wiper arms to avoid them dissapearing.......

Lou

Looks like a steal at 4k and a good buy a 5k. I agree that you should bring a magnet to look for extensive bondo work. But dont assume its a rig job just because your in S. America, to vague of an assumption. Crawl up under the 40 and look at the insides of all of the body panels with a flashlight to check for bondo clumps, check the frame out with a hammer to check for weak spots or rot.

Good luck, also take more pics of the motor and frame etc and post em up for more advice..

Looking more carefully

I took these pictures today at the mechanic. He still thinks it's a good deal at 4K. BUT, careful inspection of the shiny paint revealed some patch jobs, and the engine was sputtering oil when the stick was pulled out. Of course, there is this also a newer option on the market....although, a much higher price tag at 8K!

Umm, what model of Toyota LC is this?
IMG_0152.JPG
img.jpg

thats a

fj or bj70:D similar in running gear to a 40

I think that's a 70 series, I don't know for sure but someone on here will. That FJ40 is also missing the rear licence plate holder.

The rust indicated in that 70 door would make it a firm no for me. Hope the 40 is much better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom