Sourcing my own OEM parts VS. Indep Mechanic parts/warranty (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Wanted to get your thoughts on the issue at hand.

I purchased a 99 LC around a month ago. It has 143k miles on it, but it's running on the stock/original timing belt and water pump. I have a local independent mechanic who has always been good to me and provides good/honest work.

They said that I can bring in my own parts, but that the 1 year-12,000 mile warranty would be void (seeing as they didn't source the parts themselves).

For the 90k service would you guys forgo the 1 year warranty if it meant you could bring in your own Toyota OEM parts? I figure with the connections on Ih8mud, I could get everything needed for the 90k service for the same price (or maybe even lower) than the mechanic would pay for aftermarket/third party parts. timing belt, serpentine belt, water pump, pulleys, idlers, thermostat, gaskets, etc.

Also, who do i get with on here for the best pricing? Beno and Cruiser Dan?

Appreciate you guys

Weird they won't stand behind their work if it's an OEM part. Maybe they have some deal with their parts source. I'd still go with OEM, esp with critical components like timing belt & water pump (which has potential to destroy an engine if it fails). OEM parts are likely to fail in one year anyway.

Why couldn't you request that he buy the OEM parts himself? It might be a bit more expensive, but probably worth it with the 1-year warranty.

I carry the complete timing belt kit too, just PM you incase you enjoy some saving. :)

Ask him to source the OEM parts and compare the pricing to what you can get it for. He'll be more expensive for sure, but if he'll warranty it out for a year that's worth something. Do a comparative analysis to see how much you'd save by sourcing your own parts vs him and see if the differential is worth the "cost" of the warranty. I recently went through the same exercise with an indy and found that I could get the job done with OEM parts for a decent bit less at the dealership of all places!

The advantage of a dealer on jobs like this is that you can negotiate a little bit and ask them to discount it or add in extra services for no or little extra cost. I had the timing belt, water pump, serpentine belt, brake fluid flushed, power steering fluid flushed and diffs serviced for around $1,050 I believed and I got a loaner car for the day. When I picked it up, somehow my alignment felt off which was surprising considering I have no idea how that could have happened, but I came in and told them it was off. The tech went for a ride with me and agreed it did seem off, so they aligned my truck with no questions asked and no cost. I came in a week later to pick up an air filter on a Saturday and realized I forgot to have them lube the driveline earlier, so I mentioned it to the service guy. He told me they were totally slammed with oil changes and routine stuff, but asked for my keys and said they were having a free BBQ. I went and had a pulled pork sandwich and by the time I got back the truck was already serviced and washed because he said they like working on my truck and squeezed me in - no charge btw. Now I love indy shops and use them for 90% of my service, but there are times when it's beneficial to bring it in to the dealer as well so keep that in mind.

Ranma,

Got your PM! Do you work for Toyota? Are the parts below what the dealership would be using?

$325 shipped for the Kit includes the following items:
Water pump with gasket ( Aisin, Toyota OE supplier )
Timing belt ( Mitsuboshi, Toyota OE supplier )
Serpentine belt ( Mitsuboshi, Toyota OE supplier )
Idler Roller ( Koyo, Toyota OE supplier )
Tensioner Roller ( Koyo, Toyota OE supplier )
Camshaft Seals x2 ( Genuine Toyota )
Crankshaft Seal ( Genuine Toyota )
Hydraulic Tensioner ( NTN, Toyota OE supplier )

Great info, guys. Anything else i should replace while the mechanic has it ripped apart? I've heard people replacing the Thermostat, thermostat housing, hoses, clamp while having this job performed

Ranma,

Got your PM! Do you work for Toyota? Are the parts below what the dealership would be using?

$325 shipped for the Kit includes the following items:
Water pump with gasket ( Aisin, Toyota OE supplier )
Timing belt ( Mitsuboshi, Toyota OE supplier )
Serpentine belt ( Mitsuboshi, Toyota OE supplier )
Idler Roller ( Koyo, Toyota OE supplier )
Tensioner Roller ( Koyo, Toyota OE supplier )
Camshaft Seals x2 ( Genuine Toyota )
Crankshaft Seal ( Genuine Toyota )
Hydraulic Tensioner ( NTN, Toyota OE supplier )

No I do not work for Toyota, I just started my parts business and I buy wholesale locally and import them myself from Japan, Asia and middle East. Yes you are looking at the exact parts Dealer are using but in Toyota box with the exact same manufacturer who supply Toyota. The oil seals are from Toyota as I have not able to source the oil seals from NOK yet, NOK supplies Toyota with their oil seals. Hope that helps. =)

You also need 2 orings and I would definitely do the thermostat and gasket while you have everything torn to bits.

heater T's? are these called something else?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom