Sourcing metal (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
As I have lots of projects in my head, one of the most significant obstacles to them is sourcing metal at a reasonable price. If you go to one of these Metal Depot like places, after you account for all the consumables you'd need to do a project you aren't *that* far away from just buying some of the pre-fab stuff out there. So I'm curious what you all do to source metal for projects? Obviously, I grab anything laying around that no one wants, but that's a rare bird. I used to have a scrap metal place a few miles away but the county harassed them into leaving. Suggestions or ideas?

Steel and pipe corp in Sanford has been by far the cheapest I have found between buying steel in Garner and Fayetteville.

Steel is expensive no matter where you get it from. Buy it in full sticks and sheets to get better prices, but other than that or a scrap yard, not much you can do.

Alro Metals has an outlet store in Greensboro. Its by the UPS facility, near I40 and south elm/eugene st exit. they are reasonable for smaller chunks of material. they have steel, aluminum , hpde, acrylic, copper, and other composites. They will even do cuts as well. This isnt the big facility out west of the airport.

I work with a local government recycling group for Mecklenburg county, metals are still in good demand for recyclers, but the problem for the past 18 months has been finding transportation, or the cost of transportation has gone through the roof and makes it impossible for them to bring it in. Its a shame, a lot of steel available at the border, rusting away too in big piles.

I work with a local government recycling group for Mecklenburg county, metals are still in good demand for recyclers, but the problem for the past 18 months has been finding transportation, or the cost of transportation has gone through the roof and makes it impossible for them to bring it in. Its a shame, a lot of steel available at the border, rusting away too in big piles.
When you say "available at the border", what border?

Check out the news report of the deposits in Pharr, TX of steel. Not being used and some agencies trying to figure out how to get it back in circulation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom