Sourcing a BJ40 from Costa Rica? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Rusto

SILVER Star
Threads
I've decided to officially go down the path of finding a 40 series to add to my 60 and I'm Cruiser leaning towards a diesel. I've seen a couple of RHDs pop up and have considered finding one from Canada or one that's already here. All options are on the table at this point.

Speaking of which... importing one from Central or South America is an option for me as well. I don't have to worry about emissions and could add an aftermarket Heater/AC if I wanted to.

Has anybody ever worked with Bill Nixon FJ40 For Sale - Land Cruisers for Sale , if so, what's been your experience? Any other importer/exporters that you recommend. Maybe Art Vandelay of Vandelay Industries?

Thanks. I could always get an FJ here if I have to, but why not look for my perfect ride to start.

Russ

All i've heard and seen from this forum is to be very careful on a south american import.

If you couldn't inspect it in person before I wouldn't even consider it.

Lots of times they're shady restores with lots of shortcuts. Lipstick on a pig

@bhsdriller - Definitely will proceed with caution. My goal is to get one that isn't restored at all and be the base for a project that I'll do. While it would be much cheaper to have someone do a restoration down there than up here when someone else is doing it, my labor is the cheapest labor of all to my pocketbook.

And then I'd just have a pig with no lipstick and have a better idea of what I'd be getting myself into.

and going down to Costa Rica to personally inspect a BJ40 sounds like a pretty damn amazing trip..

Any 40 bought in Costa Rica should be inspected personally. Not only is it an awesome place but you will learn quickly what they do to 40's to make them sellable.

I've decided to officially go down the path of finding a 40 series to add to my 60 and I'm Cruiser leaning towards a diesel. I've seen a couple of RHDs pop up and have considered finding one from Canada or one that's already here. All options are on the table at this point.

Speaking of which... importing one from Central or South America is an option for me as well. I don't have to worry about emissions and could add an aftermarket Heater/AC if I wanted to.

Has anybody ever worked with Bill Nixon FJ40 For Sale - Land Cruisers for Sale , if so, what's been your experience? Any other importer/exporters that you recommend. Maybe Art Vandelay of Vandelay Industries?

Thanks. I could always get an FJ here if I have to, but why not look for my perfect ride to start.

Russ
Mine is a Latin American FJ40 (Colombia). So much work has been done since I took ownership but it has been a long and somewhat pricey road. I'm glad she's mine but wish I knew about this site before I pulled the trigger. Let's just say I would not use Gateway Classic cars again.

I traveled to Bogota, Colombia to personally look at my FJ43. Looked at a couple and I agree with everyone else here, puts your eyes on it before you buy it. They were work trucks down there that no one saw value in until recent years. For every dozen for sale there may be one that is worth it. I got lucky. Mine has been my daily driver for 10 months now and I would not hesitate to drive cross country. Don't buy the first one you see, bring a magnetic paint gauge (to check for insane amounts of bondo) and have fun.

Look for paint brush marks on frame also. I ran my hand down all frame rails of the ones I looked at and some literally felt like a saw blade.

I traveled to Bogota, Colombia to personally look at my FJ43. Looked at a couple and I agree with everyone else here, puts your eyes on it before you buy it. They were work trucks down there that no one saw value in until recent years. For every dozen for sale there may be one that is worth it. I got lucky. Mine has been my daily driver for 10 months now and I would not hesitate to drive cross country. Don't buy the first one you see, bring a magnetic paint gauge (to check for insane amounts of bondo) and have fun.
they did whatever they could to keep the things on the "road" Gotta hand it to them for their creativity.

Another option for an importer

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom