source for paint? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I'm repainting my 80, does anyone have a good suggestion on sources for paint? it's pretty damn expensive.

Any decent-sized town will have an automotive refinishing supply shop. I live in an area with 150,000 and we have five I think. They will mix according to your paint code. Are you spraying with a spray gun or rattle can?

I've used automotivetouchup.com on several occasions on other vehicles. Their colors always match perfectly.

The website is very user friendly, and they usually ship out pretty quickly.

Their rattle cans aren't cheap, though ($24.00 each I believe) so you might just want to find a MAACO.

I've used automotivetouchup.com on several occasions on other vehicles. Their colors always match perfectly.

The website is very user friendly, and they usually ship out pretty quickly.

Their rattle cans aren't cheap, though ($24.00 each I believe) so you might just want to find a MAACO.

Yes, totally depends on what you're spraying. If you're doing a full truck, you would be better off buying the paint by the quart/gallon and the appropriate compressor and a spray gun than buying the cans. I used 6 rattle cans on my hood. Each flare I've done took a full can. No way around it though, automotive single-stage paint is expensive.

FYI, I'm intending on using HVLP paint guns, no rattle cans, that's not cost effective. I am doing the full truck. Eastwood seems to have some competitive prices for their fantastic products. Imma keep shopping around. I thought of MACCO but honestly, I'm in deep enough now that I'd like to see this all through. Thanks everyone for the input.

Southern Polyurethanes is said to be excellent paint at a great price. No custom colors, though. Said to be equivalent to PPG's top of the line paint at a much lower price.

I think that TCP Global and Eastwood are in the same ballpark. I've heard people describe TCP Global's stuff as a bit nasty, as in higher VOC. Probably nothing that a hobbyist would notice.

I used PPG's lower end stuff from my local paint jobber. It took about a gallon each of epoxy primer/sealer and single-stage urethane. That's for the whole body, all door jambs, but no flares. It was probably around $500. I found that I really couldn't beat my local paint jobber's prices by buying online, unless it was some kind of special sale.

FYI, I'm intending on using HVLP paint guns, no rattle cans, that's not cost effective. I am doing the full truck. Eastwood seems to have some competitive prices for their fantastic products. Imma keep shopping around. I thought of MACCO but honestly, I'm in deep enough now that I'd like to see this all through. Thanks everyone for the input.
Search your area for auto body paint suppliers. We have a local CarQuest automotive store that is VERY well known for it's paint supply products. It has a few hot rod shops that buy all their products through them, so they have become known for that.

Ask local body shops and hot rodders where they get their paint.

My son has been working on his 70 GMC and there is one local O'Reilly's that he bought all his paint products through.

Way back when, DuPont paints were the shizzle, but IDK nowadays.

SNIP,...I used 6 rattle cans on my hood. Each flare I've done took a full can. No way around it though, automotive single-stage paint is expensive.
When I was fixing some serious trail rash a few years back, I came up with some decent two-stage paint in rattle cans for around $24 or a little more per can. Excellent paint match, but don't recall the brand. Definitely want lots of good ventilation with it, you don't want to breathe that stuff.

Did you buy a bunch of spray cans or gallons or quarts? I just bought a couple of spray cans from there myself but havent gotten around to using them yet... let us know how it turns out when you're done. Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom