source for high speed gear fj62 transfer case (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
so i wrecked my transfer case (1989 fj62). it ran low on oil somehow and in a -45 canadian morning the little oil left just couldn’t lubricate it. now i can source all the new gears to rebuild it except the high speed gear. anyone know where i could get one?

oddly i had no oil leaks and my transmission was not over filled and the oil was very clean while the stuff left over in the t case was quite dark so it wasn’t bypassing the seal. as it “wasn’t” leaking i just figured it had oil in it and really haven’t checked it in the last few years since it was rebuilt. not sure where it went but the gears are all burned.

anyway if any of you know where i can get one i’d appreciate it!

Just a guess at where your oil went; the rear output seal (or the shaft splines) can leak and the oil is slung out while driving, much of it down. A minimal leak may never show a drip but there will be an arc of oil radiating from the flange.

You will probably have to go used for the gear.

i have wool wax undercoating on it so it probably was hiding that “arc”. lesson learned. watch ALL fluid levels closely!!

any idea if these used gears sets are normally in good shape? it’s hard to buy a used set without being able to see them but there’s just nothing around me. i might have a lead on a new one but haven’t heard back if it the right one.

this seems like the right one but i want to make sure before buying it

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom