Source for headlight relay wiring harnesses (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I was wondering if anyone had a source for am "off the rack" headlight wiring harness upgrade that uses relays to connect the headlights directly to the battery when turned on.

I can fabricate one myself, but I would really like to find something that was "plug and play" so the connections were neat and waterproof and reliable. I've seen some things that were for specific vehicles and for auxiliary lights, but I was wondering if anyone makes one for the FJ40?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Rick, I have not upgraded headlights, but I did install a 30A relay for my HEI.
You can buy a 30A relay at any autoparts store. They come in 4 and 5 terminal.
I used a 4 terminal on mine: ground, old wire from the switch in, power straight from the battery in and power to the headlights out. There was some discussion about needing 2 relays, one for low and one for high. Sounds right to me. As far as one specifically for the '40......never seen one. Any auto parts store will have a relay harness for aux lights, get two, but price the components first then get out your soldering gun.:)

GL

Ed

Why?

Are you going to run 200 watt bulbs?
The stock wiring should be good to 60-80 watts.

I bought a APC Wiring harness from Summit for like 26.00?? Landpimp was the one that talked about it earlier. It works great, and you can install it in about 10 min. I am currently running IPF lenses, with Hella 60/100 watt bulbs. The relay makes a huge difference, the power is coming straight from the batttery. Before I was blowing fuses all the time.

later
Ryan

Pin_Head said:
Why?

Are you going to run 200 watt bulbs?

with the relays, the power for the lights isnt moving through the 30 year old switch. My lights were probably a good 50% brighter after I wired them up to relays. Even if you have a new switch you could probably notice some benefit.

-Dustin

Pin_Head said:

Who still runs that old hweak junk?? ;)

I have installed a number of the IPF harnesses, a couple on stock trucks, and even with the stock, non-halogen lamps it made a difference. I would get one of those harnesses that John (pimp) was talking about. I have not seen the quality of that harness, but it is significantly less money than the IPF relay and harness set up. This is one of the best, cheap upgrades you can do.

I have been running IPF H4 headlamp replacements since 1997 now, with 80/110 bulbs initially, and for the last six years 90/145’s. I have some 110/190’s on the shelf that I will be installing when the stock of 90/145’s die.

:beer:

pappy said:
Is this what you are looking for?

www.Summitracing.com

Search on part number PRF-30816

Thanks for the link!

I can't tell from the write-up whether this has a seperate circuit for high and low beams or whether it has a connector for the headlight bulb (H4) or just wires to hook to your existing connector ( to use with my existing headlights until I can afford the upgrade).

It's kind of high, but if I had to have 2 of them to do high and low, it's a bit TOO pricey...

Thanks!

Poser said:
Who still runs that old hweak junk?? ;)

Me. I can see just fine.

Poser said:
I have been running IPF H4 headlamp replacements since 1997 now, with 80/110 bulbs initially, and for the last six years 90/145’s. I have some 110/190’s on the shelf that I will be installing when the stock of 90/145’s die.

Whattaya doing with them? Spotlighting deer?

Pin_Head said:
Whattaya doing with them? Spotlighting deer?

cute. :)

No, I do not shine, nor do I hunt deer.

Poser said:
cute. :)

No, I do not shine, nor do I hunt deer.

We hunt wild pigs at night...

'course we use a night vision scope.

but it's OK, because I have a permit from the Game Warden.;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom