Source for CORRECT bolts/screws/fasteners/washers etc.? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've searched the forum for the info but haven't had luck. I'm wondering if there is a good place to get the correct zinc-plated screws, bolts, washers, etc.? My local hardware store has a pretty good selection, but when it comes to zinc-plated metric there is NOTHING. I'm wondering if someone sells the ones that are correct for 70's FJ40's?

I had to remove my door tops to install new window felt and of course, the LAST machine screw I had to remove broke off. I was able to remove the broken piece and re-tap the nut, but it really drives me crazy to see a larger, bright SILVER machine screw head in the middle of my door.

I don't need a 5 lb. bucket of one size, but if someone sells small amounts of different sizes I'd definitely be interested.

1677516075278.png

@davework

Overland Metric is a great source of JIS hardware. Overland Metric | JIS Hardware - https://www.overlandmetric.com/
I've also found that Toyota still sells many of the original screws, bolts , washers and nuts but it can be a bit of a pain to do the legwork to lookup the part numbers. I use this website: Toyota parts catalog - https://toyota-usa.epc-data.com
Belmetric is another good source for JIS. BelMetric.com - Metric Fasteners & Hardware - https://www.belmetric.com
There is a spreadsheet somewhere here with various sizes, pitch etc. Someone smarter will post the link.

👍 for Overland Metric as well…. Great customer service!

Also, Toyota used the same fasteners for decades... hit the pick-a-part and get busy. I've never had to spend more than $5. Never know what other goodies you'll find while you're in there.

So I'm looking at the Overland Metric website and I don't see any M6 screws in yellow zinc or gold cad. Are the screws on the inside of the doors of an FJ40 really marine stainless or do I need to keep looking? The screw I'm holding in my hand definitely has a gold color....it doesn't look like stainless.

I'll hit the Pull-n-Save next time I'm in the big city, but thanks for the info about Overland.

Overland metric would be my choice too for my J45 pickup resto.
However, it seems that their kits cover J40 models only, no J45 kit yet. Or the J40 kit could do the job (one size fits all)?

Aaron, if you just need one or two of something, let me know next time you’re ordering. I’ve got several dozen boxes of period-correct used hardware from four decades of working on Landcruisers that I don’t offer for sale, but happily sprinkle in customer’s boxes.😊

So I'm looking at the Overland Metric website and I don't see any M6 screws in yellow zinc or gold cad. Are the screws on the inside of the doors of an FJ40 really marine stainless or do I need to keep looking? The screw I'm holding in my hand definitely has a gold color....it doesn't look like stainless.

I'll hit the Pull-n-Save next time I'm in the big city, but thanks for the info about Overland.
Thanks for taking a look at the site.

We do only have Phillips in stainless unfortunately, but Belmetric does have good gold/yellow Phillips SEMs screws in M6 that should work well.

Agree that pick and pull would be your best bet for that screw if one nearby though.

The correct is cadmium plated
Is it? Just asking. Cadmium is silver in color. If the fastener is yellow, then it has been treated with a chromate solution over the zinc or cadmium plating. I believe it could be either, but yellow cadmium is usually a more flat, dull appearance. Fasteners that still had the yellow chromate on it on my rig, looked like zinc.

As for what is correct, I have no clue.

Add my vote for the wrecking yard. I was fortunate to own one for almost 30 years. And I stocked up a long time ago.
D193B3FF-B7C1-4938-804F-30BA8ADEAD04.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom