Source for 2F pistons? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Rebuilding a '75 2F motor with domed pistons. Will likely need to go .060" over. I've searched the forum and not found any definitive sources for pistons other than going full custom (8 week lead time). Any suggestions on sources?

Also, I take it that SBC valves with Ford valve seals is still the best replacement for the valves. I find references in a few threads but is there a thread with the part numbers for these so I get it right?

I used Federal-Mogul, domed, .050 over. But that was 14 years ago...

@FJ40Jim had some custom made and was selling a few sets.... Not sure if still available ? Otherwise pretty much NLA ...

@FJ40Jim had some custom made and was selling a few sets.... Not sure if still available ? Otherwise pretty much NLA ...

He had a set about a month ago when I checked with him. Very pretty, but at the price, it was a bit rich for my rig. I was able to go with the ITM domed @ 1.00mm over and still be below the 0.002 clearance for stock cast. My bores in were really good shape when mic'd, but the pistons, which were Ross-based forged (which I believe are the Manefre ones IIRC from 2002) were way under stock spec for a 1.00 mm over piston. Not sure if worn or designed that way.

I believe Manefre still has these as cataloged as late model domed and I think in 0.060 (1.50 mm), but also very pricey. Not sure the "new" design will work with your '75, though they were in mine which is a 6/'76, so... call?

Remember also, custom pistons are typically forged and have greater clearances (typically 0.005 +/-). This almost bit me when I wanted to use the ITM cast replacements on the good 1.00 mm overbore. At an 0.060 (1.50mm) overbore with forged your block is pretty much out off any future options after that. Unless of coarse you go total custom.... super pricey - read FJ40Jim's thread.

BTW, I mix inches and millimetres freely; sorry if I confused. But you get the picture.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom