Sounds like a beehive is in my gearbox while driving in 4H. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Oh, jeeze, it's got arms now?

LOL

Steering is generally sloppy compared to a new vehicle. I've done just about everything I can except replace the steering box with a brand new one and it's still sloppier than I'd like. I have a feeling that even when new they were sloppier than a modern rack and pinion steering set up.

What, exactly are these arms he's referring to? The steering knuckles?

I'm very glad the engine is sorted and seems to be fixed correctly for you. I wish you'd keep the truck! Stick around and learn some things! But I completely understand selling it with your new work commute and what not. It's not the vehicle for everyone and it's not always what you think it's gonna be, that's for sure.
Lol, sorry I forgot the exact name, but the receipt for the work done for the head had a note for "Needs both ends on rods at gear box" for the "arms" work I am talking about. Its like 2 little things at the front end, on the left and right sides of the front tires. My steering is really bad in this thing. Very lose. Maybe they are the Control Arms? Does that sound right?

And I found a 4runner for cheap enough...So I have my daily driver now. I THINK I will keep the 60. Now that it can sit, and I can actually tinker on it.

Lol, sorry I forgot the exact name, but the receipt for the work done for the head had a note for "Needs both ends on rods at gear box" for the "arms" work I am talking about. Its like 2 little things at the front end, on the left and right sides of the front tires. My steering is really bad in this thing. Very lose. Maybe they are the Control Arms? Does that sound right?

u have a 60 or 62

i still don;t know and its not mentioned above anywhere i see ?

I have a 60. '83.

Yeah this thread has been basically retrofitted into a build thread lol.

do u know the cause of the BEE's yet

or

do u still need to know the 411 ?

do u know the cause of the BEE's yet

or

do u still need to know the 411 ?
I dont know the exact cause, but its totally related to the 4wd shifter. I was driving around, and I was in 4H. I applied some pressure to the 4wd shifter, pulling it back, and the "bees" went entirely away. So, the "bees" is 100% related to the shifter. Maybe some kind of noise dampening piece is worn out or something?

I dont know the exact cause, but its totally related to the 4wd shifter. I was driving around, and I was in 4H. I applied some pressure to the 4wd shifter, pulling it back, and the "bees" went entirely away. So, the "bees" is 100% related to the shifter. Maybe some kind of noise dampening piece is worn out or something?

i will post a parts diagram and red ink circle the cause

u will need to order these micro parts from Toyota

Eazy Peezy repair job scope too ..........

will also make 4wd shifting engagement a solid flowing FIT FORM and FUNCTION step by step procedure ........

low cost parts kit too .......

give me a bit to create the red ink diagram
'
hang tite

matt

i will post a parts diagram and red ink circle the cause

u will need to order these micro parts from Toyota

Eazy Peezy repair job scope too ..........

will also make 4wd shifting engagement a solid flowing FIT FORM and FUNCTION step by step procedure ........

low cost parts kit too .......

give me a bit to create the red ink diagram
'
hang tite

matt
I appreciate that! Thank you 👍

here we are :

don't freak out it looks like alot of stuff but its all small hardware items

- 89% of it is all plastic , rubber , or non reuse parts like cotter keys

- i recommend a few small seals and o-rings because while u there u you would be insane not to simply replace as a matter of course preventive maintence

- the most pricy part is the socket ball assy. but me thinks i have a NOS one if i do u can scoop it up for 1/2 of the lowest comp u find online , i have had it since high school in parts bag sealed ........

- do not go at this 1/2 measures or only some parts , do all i prescribe and the BEE's will be gone for the nest 40+ years at least .......

- u have a metal to metal vibration issue , most likely 36323 GUIDE , 36305 lever and 36321 lever are metal to metal contact

- all rubber and plastic bushings and cushions and stuff died long ago

- assemble with some DI-Electric grease , but preferably T-9 BOE shield if u have a marine parts place near u

this is the cats MEOW and repels dirt

a good bicycle shop has small cans too , fro sprockets and chains use

good luck .

this is my opinion based on i have been here before more the one RODEO ago ........

matt

1649928208654.png

And I found a 4runner for cheap enough...So I have my daily driver now. I THINK I will keep the 60. Now that it can sit, and I can actually tinker on it.
Tie rod ends. That’s what he’s talking about. Parts are cheap. Fair amount of labor. If you don’t have time to do it you can buy the TRE kit and bring it to a local suspension and steering shop. They should be able to install them and align your steering properly. If the gear box itself is wonky then it will either need to be replaced or rebuilt. But start with TRE and a power steering fluid flush.

The shifter issue is probably just some linkage that’s come loose or maybe has a plastic bushing wearing out. You’ll need to dig a little deeper. You can see the linkage for the transfer case from under the truck. Study that image Matt posted and then crawl under the truck. It’s on the passenger side of the transmission directly under the shifter.

Thank you all! Now that I have my daily driver I am actually excited to begin tinkering. Even ordered a dome light assembly to install that.

Bungee cord

here we are :

don't freak out it looks like alot of stuff but its all small hardware items

- 89% of it is all plastic , rubber , or non reuse parts like cotter keys

- i recommend a few small seals and o-rings because while u there u you would be insane not to simply replace as a matter of course preventive maintence

- the most pricy part is the socket ball assy. but me thinks i have a NOS one if i do u can scoop it up for 1/2 of the lowest comp u find online , i have had it since high school in parts bag sealed ........

- do not go at this 1/2 measures or only some parts , do all i prescribe and the BEE's will be gone for the nest 40+ years at least .......

- u have a metal to metal vibration issue , most likely 36323 GUIDE , 36305 lever and 36321 lever are metal to metal contact

- all rubber and plastic bushings and cushions and stuff died long ago

- assemble with some DI-Electric grease , but preferably T-9 BOE shield if u have a marine parts place near u

this is the cats MEOW and repels dirt

a good bicycle shop has small cans too , fro sprockets and chains use

good luck .

this is my opinion based on i have been here before more the one RODEO ago ........

matt

View attachment 2981042
Regarding all the red circled items; Is there a assembly kit or anything I should buy that includes these specific items? Or can I just search for these items by their item number on a site like toyota parts deal?

Regarding all the red circled items; Is there a assembly kit or anything I should buy that includes these specific items? Or can I just search for these items by their item number on a site like toyota parts deal?
Go to Partsouq (UAE), Toyota Parts Prime, Amayama (Japan) or one of the big parts dealers like McGeorge and search for the part numbers. Be aware that SOME of the OEM parts sellers out there will list an item as "in stock" on their website when it is not actually in stock, then email you after you place your order causing confusion and delays. The above four have done the best for me. And yes, Partsouq is in Dubai but they have been 100% solid for me - shipping takes 4-6 days to Denver. Amayama is solid but their shipping has taken 2-3 weeks. The other two are in the US and shipping has been 5-14 days. Do a forum search for McGeorge (or Lakeland Toyota I think) as sometimes they offer discounts.

some of these small parts are indeed USA-Spec specific

print out a full size color copy of what i gave u above :

take to your local toyota dealer parts dept , give them your 17 digit frame # too

make them do the leg work

there is zero special order parts shipping in the usa dealer network system

u waist hours online , trying to piece meal all this u will only find half or less and then pay a minimum FED ex or DHL Shipping fee of 40-60$ or more for no reason what

so ever ...

some of the above are call out numbers not parts numbers , let a high paid dealer parts guru earn his paycheck , if a wrong parts is ordered its on them

u make a error you loose and get stuck with it

Last edited:
NO ,

do not go there , as suggested

some of these small parts are indeed USA-Spec specific

print out a full size color copy of what i gave u above :

take to your local toyota dealer parts dept , give them your 17 digit frame # too

make them do the leg work

there is zero special order parts shipping in the usa dealer network system

u waist hours online , trying to piece meal all this u will only find half or less and then pay a minimum FED ex or DHL Shipping fee of 40-60$ or more for no reason what

so ever ...

some of the above are call out numbers not parts numbers , let a high paid dealer parts guru earn his paycheck , if a wrong parts is ordered its on them

u make a error you loose and get stuck with it

or

you can give my color full size copy to @CruiserTrash and have him place your order for u 🤣
Matt, respectfully, my experience has been quite the opposite. I know you have tons of parts knowledge, far more than I do, and greatly respect your contributions to many many posts. A font of knowledge some might say - myself included. Your wisdom in Toyota esoterica is seldom rivaled around here or anywhere. But personally, I’m done using local dealerships.

Every time I walk into a local dealership - without fail - to get parts (I have tried many times at 3 local dealerships), they look at me like I’m speaking a foreign language. “A 1983 what now?” Some point blank have told me the part doesn’t exist when I have previously looked it up online and I know there is verified OEM stock. Some have simply told me they can’t get old parts delivered because they “aren’t allowed”. The few times a dealership was able to help me it took 3-4 weeks for the part to come in and I got charged at least triple what I could get the part for elsewhere. I really want to believe in the Toyota local dealer network and their ability to help me out with parts, but after 20-30 times barking up that tree I gave up. It’s wasted a lot of my time.

A place like Partsouq, for one example, does list the differing part numbers for US and World spec vehicles so that is very helpful. Some of the other places don’t. And yes, the onus is on the buyer to truly figure out what they need and an ordering error results in an unusable part, which has only happened to me twice. Both of them were sub-$5 parts. Shipping from Dubai for a bunch of small stuff (roughly the same size box as Priority Mail Large) is around $15 which seems incredibly low to me. The one time I ordered something larger from them shipping was $45. The same parts at a dealer - with no shipping cost but triple the price for the parts - has always cost me more at the end of the day. Additionally going through a dealer has taken me more time - including the time it takes to self-research part numbers for ordering online.

I’m just continuing to use what works for me, and skipping what hasn’t worked for me 🤷‍♂️ OP can consume all this device and make their own decision I suppose.

i was joking about the hand off of the parts sheet to you , the joke turned out not to be funny , and made myself look a bit dumb at the same time ....

i was not trying to offed you , i apologize if i did in any way ?

were are mud buddies long term you and i and i respect your viewpoints here , of course

i feel the dealership level parts staff have gotten a sense of entitlement , to the point i am, told have all my own parts numbers or go to another dealer , they have a sign for

retail customers about Providing there own parts numbers is preferred way of doing way positive business ?

thats messed up ...

however , i am not sure of @ObservrActual 's parts look up skill sets on a bunch of small wear items hardware so , parhaps the dealer is best here due the qty of different parts numbers involved ?

again , sorry to take a joke too far with you personally ..... i meant no disrespect ...😇

kindly matt

i was joking about the hand off of the parts sheet to you , the joke turned out not to be funny , and made myself look a bit dumb at the same time ....

i was not trying to offed you , i apologize if i did in any way ?

were are mud buddies long term you and i and i respect your viewpoints here , of course

i feel the dealership level parts staff have gotten a sense of entitlement , to the point i am, told have all my own parts numbers or go to another dealer , they have a sign for

retail customers about Providing there own parts numbers is preferred way of doing way positive business ?

thats messed up ...

however , i am not sure of @ObservrActual 's parts look up skill sets on a bunch of small wear items hardware so , parhaps the dealer is best here due the qty of different parts numbers involved ?

again , sorry to take a joke too far with you personally ..... i meant no disrespect ...😇

kindly matt
No offense taken or love lost my man! You are a Mud legend and I am but a young buck in this game, and we’ve obviously had different experiences.

I also recognize that my ability to suss out the correct p/n’s for my projects is because I lean on the hard work of those that have gone before me - you included. I’m just beginning the stage of my cruiser journey that I can start giving back to newbies. But I gotta respect my “elders” whose work I draw from.

I just wish I could walk into a dealership and find the one person that is willing and able to help me out. The higher dealer prices would be worth it for the assistance - if the assistance were there. Haven’t found that yet.

My head/water pump/fan clutch/manifold/side cover project is an example… I’m using all new OEM nuts, bolts, washer for ease of assembly and so the engine bay is shiny. I had to use four suppliers to source it all. It did take me some work. But I walked into a dealership with my spreadsheet and got a blank stare and the comment of “I’m not sure I can help you.” I bet that varies from dealer to dealer though, and maybe @ObservrActual has a great parts counter person at their local dealer.

I had good experience with my local Toyota Dealer, but that was some years ago. I'm sure those guys are now gone. But a key to my success, I believe, is I did the leg work. I would do the research to get all the 10-digit (sometimes more) part numbers. The guys would just have to look them up, and order, if available. They never had anything beyond standard fasteners in stock. I started out with digital copies of microfiche I purchased on ebay, but now there are online sources. I like to use this site.

And here is a link to that same page that Matt posted where you get get all the part numbers: Transfer lever & shift rod for Toyota Land Cruiser FJ60LG - Auto parts - https://toyota-usa.epc-data.com/land_cruiser/fj60lg/3692/chassis/3611/36327/. most of these parts will probably have to come from Toyota anyway.

Before ordering, take a look at your situation...is your shift knob rattling--maybe you just need some tape or thread locker to quite it down. Also climb under the car and make sure the bolts that hold the linkage on are tight.

No offense taken or love lost my man! You are a Mud legend and I am but a young buck in this game, and we’ve obviously had different experiences.

I also recognize that my ability to suss out the correct p/n’s for my projects is because I lean on the hard work of those that have gone before me - you included. I’m just beginning the stage of my cruiser journey that I can start giving back to newbies. But I gotta respect my “elders” whose work I draw from.

I just wish I could walk into a dealership and find the one person that is willing and able to help me out. The higher dealer prices would be worth it for the assistance - if the assistance were there. Haven’t found that yet.

My head/water pump/fan clutch/manifold/side cover project is an example… I’m using all new OEM nuts, bolts, washer for ease of assembly and so the engine bay is shiny. I had to use four suppliers to source it all. It did take me some work. But I walked into a dealership with my spreadsheet and got a blank stare and the comment of “I’m not sure I can help you.” I bet that varies from dealer to dealer though, and maybe @ObservrActual has a great parts counter person at their local dealer.

Pm me I would like to give u a link to one of the several EPc is use

It’s a work horse

It’s fundimental

And best of all it’s a full on bootleg of the first Gen toyota microfiche based one with reverse super's cession. Abilities

U pay a meeger monthly fee. For the keys to the vintage toyota kingdom

Japan spec

General country’s

EU

North America

And

Saudi spec. Regions all separate

It rules the day

I need to give u a token or password guest I have

Hence tue pm

Users who are viewing this thread

Back