Soundbar on the dashpad? Anyone? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

ToyosandHam

SILVER Star
Threads
All,
Good morning. I mentioned this on the What Have You Done This Week static post. I'm looking to install a decent stereo in my 40 series. I would prefer not to use the roll cage as a mount point. What I was wondering was if I could install some type of weatherproof sound bar on the dash pad. It would have to be thin. Ergonomics would be the priority over power. But anything decent would be pointed right at you and have more than enough sound even without an amp. @RevISK and I discussed it but I can't find anyone who's actually done it and that bothers me. We were looking at something like an EcoXGear or this model from Amazon. So the big question: Has anyone done or seen a marine or weatherproof soundbar mounted on the dash pad of a 40? Links? Pics? Storytime? Any feedback would be appreciated. THANK YOU.

I have one of these, that I have used on my 40 dash on occasion. Sounds pretty decent for the size; battery lasts a long time, doesn't take up much space. Easy to drop into the Tuffy console when parked.

Amazon product ASIN B00D5Q75RC

I have one of these, that I have used on my 40 dash on occasion. Sounds pretty decent for the size; battery lasts a long time, doesn't take up much space. Easy to drop into the Tuffy console when parked.

That is definitely an option. I have a JBL flavor already and have used that. I was just hoping someone would speak up with experience on a more permanent solution.

I have a similar shelf as this installed (came with the truck, pic grabbed from the webs) that would be a perfect spot for when the top is on. Currently, a small BT sound tube rides up there on magnets and it sounds surprisingly good.

1680545891908.jpeg

Since I’ll be pulling the top soon for repairs and summer cruising, I’ll lose that shelf so it’s either strap something to the roll bar or do a dash thing like we’re talking about here…

Ian

I have a similar shelf as this installed (came with the truck, pic grabbed from the webs) that would be a perfect spot for when the top is on. Currently, a small BT sound tube rides up there on magnets and it sounds surprisingly good.

View attachment 3289915

Since I’ll be pulling the top soon for repairs and summer cruising, I’ll lose that shelf so it’s either strap something to the roll bar or do a dash thing like we’re talking about here…

Ian
This is an option for some but I'm in the South and don't have a top but a few months a year at most.

This is an option for some but I'm in the South and don't have a top but a few months a year at most.
I live in central Texas and while not considered “the South” by many, if not most, I understand heat and humidity.
However, I totally understand your point and to be fair, my 40 will be up in the high mountains of New Mexico for the summer and while I’d like to run it topless, it probably makes more sense to get the top back on.

Thinking about it further, with a bikini or even a soft top, why couldn’t you run it this way? Genuine question.

Ian

I use this for watching movies with a projector in the house. For the size it’s pretty amazing sound. Only reason I don’t use it in the 40, it’s not waterproof.
For that need, I use the Ultimate Ears MegaBoom and Boom3. They’re water proof and dust proof. They put enough sound to be heard over the bikini top and 35” muds. They’ve also proven to be durable/dependable. Artery life is longer than I’ve bothered to measure. Best part is the individual speakers can be linked for front/back passenger.

I have crossbar bar across the dash pad that keeps them from rolling off. If you don’t have that it should fit in the stock center console. If you swapped the center console the boom3 will fit in cup holder.
While I’m pretty far from stock at this point, I’ve left the dash stock. The reason I bring this up is that the added bonus of this type of speaker is that if you want to look stock (or are worried about theft) you just remove the speaker.

Not quite a soundbar, but I went with a Ultimate Ears Hyperboom, it sits nicely in the dip behind the front seats. I thought about doing a hardwired install, but this works pretty good, plenty of volume with some good overall frequency response.

When it's not in the 40, its handy in the garage, boat, etc.

Amazon product ASIN B07XJ8B9NV
I’m curious about the Hyperboom. I have the MegaBoom & Boom3 and they are great in the forty. However, in the boat they aren’t loud enough to be heard much above the 5.0 idling. How loud is the HyperBoom? I was looking into it and my only hang up was that it’s not waterproof like they’re smaller units.

This does fine for most of my driving. $36 @ Amazon plus a strip of velcro. Not super loud or fancy but it is waterproof, batteries last enough for long road trips, small enough to hide in the cruiser and its cheap to replace if someone does swipe it. Overall good sound but going fast on the freeway in a bikini top can drown it out. I'm in the North and have had the top off for a week already, had 1 great drive then of course it's rained every day since.
Might get a 2nd one and pair them.

fotor_1680578527326.jpg

I’m curious about the Hyperboom. I have the MegaBoom & Boom3 and they are great in the forty. However, in the boat they aren’t loud enough to be heard much above the 5.0 idling. How loud is the HyperBoom? I was looking into it and my only hang up was that it’s not waterproof like they’re smaller units.
It's pretty darn loud - rating is 100db, which would be twice as loud as the Boom 3 on paper. It's fairly comparable to a typical stock car audio system. It's loud enough to adequately cover a football field type area outdoors.

I'm still waiting for the roads to clear, so I can't recall what volume I ran at on the 40 on the highway as a common reference.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom