Sound Like Alternator Brushes? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I searched & didn't find anything directly applicable. My trusty, "always starts" '83 "backup" 60 hardly turned over on New Year's after being driven a few hundred feet on Christmas. Few days later I checked the batt connections & cleaned 'em (didn't need it), put it on the charger, & snugged up the belt. Started fine when done.

Yesterday morning it started fine but the brake warning light glowed slightly & the volt gauge read 10 with the headlights on. Then I went over the RR tracks & the light went dark & the gauge went to 12. No further problems during a 45-min wander to work in the dark.

I was always one to get a good reman alt when problems cropped up until I worked with a bunch of ex-Detroit automotive engineers & techs. One of them pointed out that the parts are cheap & it's easy to COMPLETELY rebuild an alt, so I tried it on my 1st Audi. He was right.

Since this is the backukp 60 & I have my hands more than full with 2 voluntary (& 1 involuntary though probably subconscious) vehicle projects & can't stand any unnecessary expense, whadya think about just swapping in new Yota brushes? I'll check it for bearing whine before cracking the case, but I'm thinking this is really simple (for once).

C'mon, anyone?

When I went over the RR tracks it was like smacking the alt with a hammer to get the brushes against the armature, no?

well if its the alternator....its could only be the connections on the back of it, brushes, the diodes, or faulty wiring.

Sounds like brushes but not all that sure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom