sound deadning (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
looking to make the cruiser somewhat less noisy and especially to create a barrier against the heat of the tranny and drivetrain. I used this insulation with what looks like foil on each side on my jeep. it did pretty good, but i am trying to decide whether to place it underneath or on the inside. The tub is ready to be rhinolined and thats how i really want it since its in pretty rough shape. I wonder if it would be weird to rhino over the insulation? anyone have ideas or done something similiar?

I put the Thermo-tec fabric under the tranny hump (riveted it to the hump figuring glue would come undone by the heat) and a layer of dampening material on top, plus a layer of outdoor carpet. Works very well.

You could rhino the tub inside and out, if doing a frame off, that's what a friend did...no further insulation needed. JC Whitney has some of the aluminum foil over felt stuff pretty cheap, it would go under your mats/carpet, no good on the outside.

I noticed alot of heat coming off the exhuast pipe which runs along under the drivers side. i was thinking of putting in an additional shield over it.

hey what i did, what some ppl might not like is i put the insulation down then put all new sheet metal over top of that, then bed lined the new sheet metal so there is a layer if insulation, i took the body off to do it. here is a pic of me half done. It also took care of all the random a$$ holes in the firewall that let heat through

dash1lu.jpg

it worked really well my cruiser is half as loud as it was. it also helps to have a full sheet metal shop in your back yard haha if you want pics of how it came out ill give em too yea it was really nice i liked it. i tryed to lead my initals into the sheet metal but couldnt get it looking nice so i gave up but i bet if you took your time and had it turn out nice you could have some cool designs

I used some dynamat on the sides of the cab under the dash, and it sticks like you will never be able to get it off; may not be the best for the whole inside if you ever wanted to do something else. The JC Whitney mats are exctly what I used, worked really well. I used double sided carpet tape from the hardware store to fix it in place.

Rhino over the insulation?
Sounds like it would work
Make sure your insulation is dry
Trapped moisture and metal. It's like Mr. & Mrs. Bobbit

thanks for the replys. Placing new sheetmetal over the top is cool, but too $ and to much time. Currently the body is off the frame, as i am restoring it. It would be nice to just put the insulation on the bottom and then spray a undercoating over that, but do you think it would be to heavy and cause the insulation to fall over time? I want to do it once, and correct. carpet would be the easiest cause you can tuck all the insulation you want underneath, but i don't really want it inside my cruiser. keep em coming

kenai said:
thanks for the replys. Placing new sheetmetal over the top is cool, but too $ and to much time. Currently the body is off the frame, as i am restoring it. It would be nice to just put the insulation on the bottom and then spray a undercoating over that, but do you think it would be to heavy and cause the insulation to fall over time? I want to do it once, and correct. carpet would be the easiest cause you can tuck all the insulation you want underneath, but i don't really want it inside my cruiser. keep em coming

actully im in air condtioning and we got a sheet metal shop. i did it for free because i used all scrap and it took me and afternoon to do. a peice of sheet metal heavy guage is about 25 bucks thats 4 feet wide and 10 or 15 feet long i forget but its enough metal to do like 6 floorboards ahah but its all up to you man i didnt weld that stuff in i rivited it and then put a dab of silicone on every rivit then siliconed all the seams then bought some bed liner worked really well. IMO thats the only way your gonna get lining with sound proofing. if you live in CA near me i can help ya out.

bustanutley said:
Brown Bread
Following this thread...I've read about something called "Brown Bread" on stereo install boards. Is this a joke or some kind of insulating filler?
With a handle like "bustanutley" maybe its some cruel prank...

The brown bread has been replaced by B-Quiet Ultimate http://www.bquiet.com/ . Similar to Dynomat but cheaper. I tried a small roll of their Extreme product, but it definitely isn't as heavy duty as the Ultimate. I put some in my 60, and it really helped.

Cameron

I used to do stereo installs back in the day (10 years ago or so) and Dynamat was the thing. It is easy (ish) to put in and it works really well - doesn't take up much thickness either - so you won't loose floor space. it is VERY heavy though.

I've used some stuff called "Q Pads", IIRC. It is like asphalt in sheets with some PSA on one side. I think it is similar to the stuff the facto used on later '40's. Clean primed surface, a heat gun and you can conform it to about any radius. After installing, you can paint it or Rhino it or whatever. Keeps sheetmetal from acting like a drumhead. And if installed correctly will not wick moisture. Comes in sheets, like 12"x12" or 12"x18", cut it with an xacto knife and stick it down.

Ed

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom