Sound Deadening (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Aside from the under coating, on top and bottom, I put 1 inch of styrofoam insulation under the carpet, including under the inside fire wall. Fits nicely, don't know its there. It comes out easily for cleaning. I also spent a bunch of time laminating the same insulation on the engine side of the fire wall with the aluminum to the outside. If you do this be sure that the adhesive is used sparingly so that water will drain easily. The tub walls and ambi-doors are carpeted with Dynamat underneath. Quiets things down AND, the front heater works great in freezing weather.

Maybe start with some Dynamat or a similar product to deaden some vibrations from the large areas, Summit Racing sells plenty of stuff. Beyond that you could look into stuff like Lizard Skin or the other material that guys are shooting on, I forgot the others.

My rig is still loud on the inside at 55+ mph but the annoying rattles are gone. Simple stuff like good weatherstripping and bushing helps tremendously.
Did you put Dynamat in yours?

Did you put Dynamat in yours?
No I have not. It is something I’ve had on my to do list for a while, not a real high priority for me.

Same. I was just starting the interior and getting ready to put in the seats and my paint guy stopped by and asked if I was putting any in and when I said no he was shocked...
Seems like folks in the moist parts of the world don’t like installing stuff that traps moisture, I’m pretty sure I would be fine up here, probably a safe bet for you too.

Hi, Keep top off and have a good stereo. When it gets too cold or hot drive an fj80. Mike

@Gusb has a great build thread, and here on page 53: Bumps on my 78’s rear tub/fenders? he used the Evercoat Q-Pads part number 100117. I installed them about 3 weeks ago. It is basically identical to the stuff that I chipped out of the floorboard a few years back. It wasn't very hard to install. I don't know if it has helped with any noise though, because, well, I kinda need to get it running again :rofl:

@Gusb has a great build thread, and here on page 53: Bumps on my 78’s rear tub/fenders? he used the Evercoat Q-Pads part number 100117. I installed them about 3 weeks ago. It is basically identical to the stuff that I chipped out of the floorboard a few years back. It wasn't very hard to install. I don't know if it has helped with any noise though, because, well, I kinda need to get it running again :rofl:
Any pictures of yours? I’m thinking some kilmat then this evercoat stuff on top then a knock off toyota mat from cityracer.

Sure, I put some decent pics here in the weekly progress thread: What have you done to your Land Cruiser this week?. It's page 1292, post number 25,824 in case the link messes up. I used scissors to cut it, and a pocket knife for some trimming; it will crack/split if you aren't careful. It has a self-adhesive backing and contours down nicely if you use a heat gun. I blistered my thumb massaging it into curves and crevices, so a wooden roller or something similar might be beneficial. Hope that helps!

Dynamite does wonders...no earplugs required. My FJ40 is pretty damn quite considering. I also put down an insulated pad under the flooring
Its easy to install and makes a huge difference.

I put inside the door panels as well which made a significant improvement in reducing road noise and damping rattles- my truck is virtually rattle free after a year of chasing them all down. The last annoyance was the rear tire carrier. Installed upgraded hinge pins with brass bushings and it is like night and day.

insulated floor.jpg
IMG_2989.JPG

Not sure if this will do much but it’s what I did. I got the idea from Brennan Metcalf and his fzj45. I used 3/8” rubber mat for a gym floor. In the back of the tub I used 1/4” tread mill floor mat. The bottom side of the transmission tunnel is covered in ashphalt foil sound deadening.

49167C50-FFE7-4A93-BD8A-0C51B6E60F1D.jpeg

5B43D548-4D23-4400-A1AB-64A65E52B414.jpeg

5336AD51-BD2B-4BF1-818C-D12635A68D17.jpeg

Dynamite does wonders...no earplugs required. My FJ40 is pretty damn quite considering. I also put down an insulated pad under the flooring
Its easy to install and makes a huge difference.

I put inside the door panels as well which made a significant improvement in reducing road noise and damping rattles- my truck is virtually rattle free after a year of chasing them all down. The last annoyance was the rear tire carrier. Installed upgraded hinge pins with brass bushings and it is like night and day.

View attachment 2520575View attachment 2520576
Looks great! In your fist picture, where did you get that material from?

Looks great! In your fist picture, where did you get that material from?
Thanks, not perfect but it cleans up the look a little.
I bought it off someone who installs gym flooring. You can get similar material from Tractor Supply or Home Depot, it’s called a stall mat. I just used paper to make templates then cut with a very sharp razor blade.

Yup, I use horse stall mat in the front of my 40. Helps with heat for sure.

Although I takes for a funny pedal angle at first.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom