Sound Deadening (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

How many square feet will it take to do a 60 series...floor, doors, tailgait and quarters?

CSA said:
...anyone interested in sound dampening should check out Second Skin Audio's products....

I think that is the route I am planning on going...please post up some pics when you can). Maybe start a new thread so as to not Hijack RoM's!!

cheers

toyman317 said:
How many square feet will it take to do a 60 series...floor, doors, tailgait and quarters?

x2! i'm curious how much it took as i'm planning on using their stuff as well. also, how did prep and application go? did you find the damplifier to be too thick under the carpet?

What about rust when water / moisture gets trapped between the floor and the matting?

There is a few spay on sound deadening products. I think that Second Skin however is at the top of the pyramid. I've used Dynamat before with great success. I've never used any of the spray on products. It would be very interesting to see how they hold up.

I used about 150 square feet of Damplifier to place for most part a single layer of mat on the floors, doors (skins and inner door), and the sheet metal behind the trim panels in the rear cargo area.

I did not remove any of the factory dampening material (no need to to).

When you pull the carpets, there will likely be a fair amount of the factory jute carpet padding stuck to the floor boards. 409 does a pretty good job of breaking down whatever causes the jute to adhere to the floor boards (spilt whatever over the years), but there is scrubbing involved.

Once the jute stuck to the floor boards is removed, surface prep is not bad at all. I used a shop vac to remove a surprising amount of various debris. My rig was broken into years ago when the PO had it, and there was pieces of glass everywhere under the carpet.

Once that was done, I used denatured alcohol to wipe down the surfaces. You have to be careful with this stuff because if you rub hard enough it will start to remove paint. Rubbing alcohol would work, too, but I understand it contains a significant amount of H20. I think the key is to let the truck air out and dry.

Applying the mat is very easy but time consuming. If you are being really careful and taking your time, each door will take about 2 and half to three hours to do. The good news is that is the hardest part. The floors are relatively easy.

While you have the carpet out, it is a great time to shampoo it. I used one of those grocery store carpet cleaners with pretty good results. I got most of the stains out and nearly all of that old car funky smell. I'm debating whether to just put it back in as is or remove what I can of the factory jute and use some other kind of padding.

I do not think that installing the mat will interfere with reinstalling the carpet. I installed NOS OEM carpet in the cargo area on top of one layer of mat and three layers of overkill (1/8" each) without incident. By itself, the mat is pretty thin.

As far as moisture getting trapped between the mat and the sheet metal, I haven't a clue. I was dilligent about letting things dry out before installing the mat, but I know nothing about the potential long term impact of the mat.

I hope this helps.

what is the total weight increase of the dampening material?

I left the "toyota tar" on my floor and just sealedthe bare metal where it was peeling up and put Lytherm carpet padding on my floor and Dynamat Xtreme everywhere else. I've got a few more places to finish, but you ain't kididn when you say it's worth the investment. I still have all my "before" decibel level readings that I'll post when the whole thing is done along with "after" numbers when I finish. I need to focus on the fender wells next with some Dynaliner (the spray-on stuff) in an effort to redice tire and wet road noise. That'll be the final major step. Glad to hear your setup is working well too. Nothing beats a nice, quiet 60/62.

Spook50, any update on the rest of your install?

My last OSHA physical at work says I have moderate hearing loss. My girlfriend tells me that I didn't need to take a hearing test for her to figure that out!

I've shot pistols and shotguns without hearing protection, have gone to a lot of loud concerts, but I think most of the hearing loss is from the chronic exposure of daily driving the 62.

I am always amazed how quiet it is when I drive my girlfriends jetta, ride in someone else's car, or rent a car. I hope to adjust my noisy valves soon and I have two bulk packs of Dynamat Extreme to start tackling the road noise.

BTW, for those on the quest for a quiter cruiser - don't replace the OEM blower motor w/ an aftermarket. I went the cheap route and now get to hear a whine when the A/C is on HI....barely audible, but very annoying.

R of M,

Fantastic Thread!! I think I'll be using your posted experience to do up my rig. By the Way, what kind of front seats did you put in? Dit they just fit right up or did you mod some new brackets?

R of M,

Fantastic Thread!! I think I'll be using your posted experience to do up my rig. By the Way, what kind of front seats did you put in? Dit they just fit right up or did you mod some new brackets?

The seats I chose to use were from an Acura Integra, I believe they are very similar to the Civic seats... and no, they did not bolt in, I used the factory sliders with these new seats welded to them.

:cheers: Just did this two days ago using RAAMmat BXT (Ive used Dynamat in the past, and will buy RaamMat from now on!). One roll did everything (ie: doors, floors, etc). All for about $120 usd. Its about 63 cu ft worth of material.
The Mrs is VERY happy as the doors are no longer "tinny" and have a good feel now. Much quieter.
Linky:
http://www.raamaudio.com/cgi-bin/index.cgi?p=pr

I just ordered my dynamat extreme and I cant wait to get this project started. When I get going on it Ill try to post some photos.

Thanks for this thread to get me going!

BTW: Amazon had some great prices for dynamat extreme.

JD

Spook50, any update on the rest of your install?

My last OSHA physical at work says I have moderate hearing loss. My girlfriend tells me that I didn't need to take a hearing test for her to figure that out!

I've shot pistols and shotguns without hearing protection, have gone to a lot of loud concerts, but I think most of the hearing loss is from the chronic exposure of daily driving the 62.

I am always amazed how quiet it is when I drive my girlfriends jetta, ride in someone else's car, or rent a car. I hope to adjust my noisy valves soon and I have two bulk packs of Dynamat Extreme to start tackling the road noise.

BTW, for those on the quest for a quiter cruiser - don't replace the OEM blower motor w/ an aftermarket. I went the cheap route and now get to hear a whine when the A/C is on HI....barely audible, but very annoying.

No updates yet. I know it's been a while but I've had to focus on so many other things. With the rising gas prices I had to buy a car that gets better economy (still have the 62!) and since I bought an old Plymouth, I've been tuning it up and getting it set up to be my new DD. I still have to finish some stuff on the floor and find out where in the hell the water is leaking into my cabin from (on the 62), then I can finish spraying Dynashield in the wheel wells and hitting the locations where it likes to rattle. After that's all done I'll take sound readings again and post my before/after numbers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom