Sound deadener?

Spook50

I just got an idea....

I've been wanting to put some sound deadener in my 62 in hopes of reducing road and exhaust noise in the cabin. I know some folks are fond of Brown Bread and others are still Dynamat fans. What are some products you guys have had good luck with? I figure if I can find a spray-on for smaller, hard to reach areas and something I can lay down and adhere with a heat gun I'll be in good shape suggestions?

NOOOO!!!!!
That stuff will crack, split and cause no end of rust problems in a few years!! I've been working to rid my truck of it since I put it on 15 years ago.

74fj40 said:
i used under coating on the bottom of my tub, cowl, fenders, and hump. it comes in spray form.

turbocruiser

SILVER Star

Personally I love the dynamat, apply with heat gun and rounded off dowel ends and really get it into every little edge. Makes a massive difference with road noise in general and also makes a difference with stereo systems - place a pad of it behind each and every speaker on the opposing metal surface and you will be surprised how much more sound you will have and how much cleaner that sound will be. Another thing I like about it is assuming it is installed correctly (dry clean surface) there is little to no chance of rust forming under it. Sound deadening insulation and fabrics on the other hand wick moisture and hold it up against the metal. In my old MB there is a layer about 3/4 inch thick of horsehair over about 3/4 of the interior metal surfaces. Helps make the car sound like it was machined from solid metal, but I'm sure it would wick up moisture and hold it to the metal for a good long time if it got wet! HTH :cheers:

Spook50

I just got an idea....

What would work good for putting on the undercarriage directly over the exhaust? Any prime areas for reducing road noise? I would figure the fenders, firewall and floor (including the cargo floor), especially the tranny hump (that didn't sound right). For improving my stereo I figure the insides of the body in the doors and rear quarters, like turbocruiser mentioned. any other suggestions? I want this bad boy to sound like a new car by the time I'm done...

Spook50

I just got an idea....

freightdog said:
Looks like that'll do the trick. Sure is some spendy stuff tho, damn. Any tips on cleaning the undercarriage? I'm tempted to just take it to an auto cleaning shop and having everything detailed and cleaned as much as possible.

Will their LyTherm work as carpet padding too? Looks thick enough...

I read about some dynamat-ish stuff called Ice/Water Shield, I guess sold at Lowes in the roofing section. I was going to go look for it one of these days but never have. It's sposeto be ALOT cheaper than dynamat (~$60 for a large roll)...no experience, but seen writeups online (and as you know, anything on the internet is guaranteed to be accurate and truthful! Now let me go feed my 4000lb hog) :D

cruiser_guy said:
NOOOO!!!!!
That stuff will crack, split and cause no end of rust problems in a few years!! I've been working to rid my truck of it since I put it on 15 years ago.
Too late, i used the rubberized stuff, not the paintable stuff. i didnt use that thick of a coat....

Spook50 said:
Looks like that'll do the trick. Sure is some spendy stuff tho, damn. Any tips on cleaning the undercarriage? I'm tempted to just take it to an auto cleaning shop and having everything detailed and cleaned as much as possible.

Will their LyTherm work as carpet padding too? Looks thick enough...
I used Acetone and cleaned it and then just roughed it up with a scotch pad -

I used the Lytherm under my carpet all through the 60 - then glued to the panels -

It is spendy but well worth the $$ - it does not absorb moisture - never gets that moldy smell like the cheaper stuff from Checker... I was crossing a river and had water up to the floorboards - no smell after it dried out.

Top Bottom