Sound Deadener Removal (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
By no means do I want to lay claim to this idea, but I did want to show an example of it being done on an 80.

In preparation for lining the interior floor of my rig I thought it best to remove the sound deadener material beforehand.

At first I tried a heat gun and a heavy duty scraper:
heat gun fail.jpg

Maybe I wasn't using the right technique but it wasn't working very well. It left a lot of residue which was going to be a real pain in the ass to clean up.

So I searched Google and found this video on youtube:

I didn't follow the instructions exactly.... I used 1 16 oz bottle of 91% Isopropyl Alcohol to 1 block (or 4-7 lbs) of dry ice. I crushed the dry ice into a powder as per the instructions in the video then mixed the bottle of alcohol and poured it onto the deadener material. I would then let it set until I heard the cracking slowing down (like listening to popcorn in the microwave) then move it to another spot. While the next spot was freezing I would start chipping away at the already frozen material.

The results were FANTASTIC!

deadener material.jpg

sound deadener removed.jpg

Total dry ice: ~25lbs
# of 16oz Isopropyl Alcohol bottles: 4
Total cost: ~$30

This was maybe 2 hours of work. Again I have never done this before so it may go quicker if I ever do it again. There is still some residue to clean up but not nearly as much the heat gun method.

I hope this helps anybody needing to do the same thing with their truck. This forum has been an invaluable asset to me so hopefully this was a worthy way of giving back!

Thanks,
Nic

heat gun fail.jpg

Nice- thanks for posting up.

Did that for my 60. Well, didn't bother with the alcohol. Just hammered the dry ice into small pieces and spread it over an area. Waited a minute and then one hammer blow broke the tar.

Amazing, thank you for sharing, learning something new everyday! :)

Are you ready to peel off your home depot sound deadener?

Thanks for the post and very nice work.

Hell no, they are sticking nice and tight. ;)

Did that for my 60. Well, didn't bother with the alcohol. Just hammered the dry ice into small pieces and spread it over an area. Waited a minute and then one hammer blow broke the tar.

I saw that technique as well but I didn't have a dead blow hammer to do it with. I was using a framing hammer and was afraid i was going to end up with dents in the sheet metal. Also, I found the alcohol useful because it made the ice slushy which helped with spreading it vertically on the trans hump.

Amazing, thank you for sharing, learning something new everyday! :)

Yeah, I thought it was one of the coolest tricks I've ever seen done to a car. Are you happy with your peel and stick insulation? I'm going to be laying down Al's Heat and Noise Reducer then Al's liner on top of that. If I'm not happy with the amount of noise and heat coming into the truck I'm going to lay down the peel and stick and re-install the carpet.

Yeah, I thought it was one of the coolest tricks I've ever seen done to a car. Are you happy with your peel and stick insulation? I'm going to be laying down Al's Heat and Noise Reducer then Al's liner on top of that. If I'm not happy with the amount of noise and heat coming into the truck I'm going to lay down the peel and stick and re-install the carpet.

The peel and seal has been doing great, going to add the DB-3 sound barrier too. Going to install them in my 2014 Sienna, so freaking noisy, wonder what Toyota is thinking! :mad:

So i'm guessing the toyota sound deadener is inferior?

No, Toyota sound deadener is good, just not much sound insulation in the Sienna due to cost. However Toyota has done quite a bit of sound insulation in the 2015 model. Wish I waited for few more months for the 2015 model.

Haha that sucks, time for a trade in! I was referring to the 80 deadener on the floor though. Curious as to why everyone is replacing it with dynamat.

Haha that sucks, time for a trade in! I was referring to the 80 deadener on the floor though. Curious as to why everyone is replacing it with dynamat.

For me it was because the top of the sound deadener was stained from mouse s***/piss. I probably could have scrubbed everything down with bleach water but I just wanted it gone. Maybe slightly impulse but we'll all be able to learn from it when I'm done.

That is great! Thanks for posting. I'm hoping to do that trick/new sound deadener/new carpet this summer

What's the reason for removing the factory material? If one was dynamating, couldnt you just do it over the existing OEM material??

What's the reason for removing the factory material? If one was dynamating, couldnt you just do it over the existing OEM material??

A lot of the material had mouse piss stains on it and I wanted it gone. I'm not really a germaphobe but it was pretty gross. I scrubbed with bleach and still felt like I could smell it.

Also, I was preparing to bed line the floor and wasn't sure if it was going to stick properly to the sound deadening material. I've learned a lot since then and have realized that Raptor Liner sticks to EVERYTHING! I've since Raptor Lined my entire truck and some overspray got onto one of my tires. It's been almost 2 years now and that overspray is STILL on that tire!

Hindsight 20/20 though, I should've just sprayed the whole area with Lizard skin or something similar which would have completely covered it all up and provided better results.

Just did this, I went right over the original OEM stuff, whatever it is, and no issues laying it down or getting it to stick.

I didn’t use Dynamat but I’m sure all the knock-off’s are similar.

Just vacuum first and wipe down/degrease every surface and you should be good to go.

Enjoy......

What did you guys use to remove the left over tar? Im not having any luck with Adams Tar remover.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom