SOS on knuckle rebuild - drivers side (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am servicing the birfs on a new to me '94 FZJ. There is evidence of a blown axle/birf by a PO.
I have been trying for 3 hours to the axle in the side gear.
What I didn't realize is the guide ring is completely missing from the driver's side axle housing.
Anyone ever dealt with this?
Suggestions on how to get the axle into the side gear?
Thanks!

There's some good info here:

Main 2c I'd like to add is keep a careful eye on the condition of your inner axle seal. Seems like it would be really easy to damage it or dislodge the metal spring that helps the seal lip stay in place. You don't want to have to pull the axle shaft again soon due to a failed inner seal. I'd take steps to replace the guide if possible and the inner seal, even if it's new, if you think it's gotten damaged.

Thx!

Update:

PO removed the driver's side( long axle) indexing ring after it was most likely destroyed by a blown axle or birf, not sure but the inside of the knuckle is torn up and the axle is definitely new.

I used an old Samsung phone charging cord. Fed it through the 14mm Brake Line Bolt on the top of the axle, since my breather was on the backside. I made a hook out of 14ga bare copper wire pulled the cable out past the oil seal double looped the cable around the axle, slid it all back in. I lifted up the axle while the wife pushed the axle into the side gear. Then cut the end of the charger out and pulled the cable straight up & out.

Took about 4 hours trying to get the axle in, figuring out the index ring was missing, and finding this thread.

Took 5 minutes to execute the above and start reassembling everything.

Hope this helps someone else. Thanks to everyone who assisted me in finding this thread and getting it back together.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom