[Sorted] Urgent help needed bent draglink Southern Utah (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey there. Didn’t see a rock I should have and now my draglink looks like this.
Anyone know a place to source a replacement (new/used/whatever) somewhat urgently?

Am near Rockville UT outside Zion. Can drive on dirt but pavement will probably not go too well.
Heading up towards SLC on Wed AM but would prefer to get sorted sooner if possible.

987B1174-4731-41BD-8A30-710CC4CFA991.jpeg

Last edited:
Thanks you guys. I just got to pavement and it drives better than I thought, the steering wheel is about 120 degrees off but no shimmy.
Going to try to put the bottle jack on it and then maybe hose clamp it to a piece of angle iron. I assume when bending it I should leave truck in neutral so steering gear doesn’t lock? (Not sure if it matters?)

Definitely don't leave it in neutral, that has nothing to do with the steering lock. Shut the motor off, make sure the trans is in 'Park'. Use the e-brake or chock the wheels if you are in any doubt about the truck moving. Leave the key in the accessory position if you are concerned about the steering locking, but I don't think it matters at all.

You may have to take it off and straighten it. The tie rod ends wouldn't let me get it right with it on the truck. A few good wacks on a tree and then still needed to back a friends truck over it to get mine sorted but I wouldn't drive it like that. Once its bent the rest of the bend gets easier,could get messy at speed.

It won't get messy at speed because there is less resistance to the wheels turning. The most stress happens during very low-speed maneuvers and the friction of the tires on a stationary surface.

Bend or force it back close and get where you need to be.

You won't get shimmy because it does not affect the toe-in of the tires. It only affects the steering wheel and how short it may turn in one direction.

^^^^^What everyone says. Bend it back the best you can. Drive home with a crooked steering wheel or buy a replacement from @cruiseroutfit while you're in their area!

Thanks everyone. Must have been karma, I was starting to work on it in the parking lot of the hardware store when a guy came up who literally said “I saw a sweet 80 with boots sticking out from under it, figured I’d stop.”

two hours later with the help of my new friend Andy (who apparently went through several 60’s), it’s straighter...good enough to get me home I think as long as no more rocks jump out at me haha.

now it’s beer time and making camp before dark.

2D3D8A8A-770F-486F-AFD5-00DE3EB82A48.jpeg

0FC56DA4-A7D8-4E16-BA03-87B25C230EA9.jpeg

31F4E28C-46F0-44F9-9096-5F1E6DF4A3F0.jpeg

I love the Land Cruiser Community!!

Yeah me too! 18 months ago I was in the fence between a sweet LR Disco II vs an FZJ80. So glad I went with the 80 series! I have a good story, a new friend in Utah, and a better understanding of what I need to carry for trail spares. Need to update this thread next.

Ok, picking up ends and the draglink tube from @cruiseroutfit on Wednesday and have State Automotive lined up to install and align it just before closing. Definitely appreciating the LC community!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom