SOR Vinyl Seat Covers - fit is off for sure (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Just finished the second row seat covers from SOR. Really happy with front seats, but rear was a PITA. Very tight fit. Too tight I think. Seems to have swished the foam way too much. Look at the gap between seat bottom and seat back. Easily lose a baseball through there. I suppose easier to get at the hidden belts though... have an email into teach@sor.com. Will keep you posted. Has anyone else installed these? Similar result?
3A31D925-8ED2-4D2B-837E-AB745C588FF0.jpeg

Yeah. Mine definitely has a gap. Extra foam wouldn’t help because they would be impossible to get on.

To add... I found the back relatively easy to install for the most part. My seat has a solid back, so to simplify the install I cut 4 access holes in the rear of the seat so that I could reach the mid-seat section with the hog ring pliers, there was no good way that I could determine to do it from the front.

Just the opposite for the bottom. You have access to the underside so I was able to get those loops mid seat tied in with relative ease. Just to turn it over and figure out that with those attached the upholstery just didn’t fit at all (bunched up in the middle of the bench).

I ended up cutting those hog rings I had just installed and doing the surround first. I was able to squeeze some needle nose pliers through afterward and get a ring or two back onto those tensioners.

As I stated in my original post. The install of this upholstery was the most difficult thing I have done on my Cruiser, at least as far as terms of tediousness and hand fatigue. It took me the better part of the day yesterday to do the bench seat. I’m installing new buckets up front, so now I’m working on mounting the new seats to the factory sliders and absolutely hating myself for not buying Corbeaus.

Thanks for the update! Far more challenging than doing the front seats. I did new foams and covers up front and it was relatively easy to do.

The rears are another story, as you point out. The new vinyl covers seem way too tight to be possible.

For the seat back, I pulled the foam off the solid metal backing and then connected the mid-section retainers on the new vinyl to the old metal bar that runs the length of the seat. Definitely challenging to do!

For the seat bottoms, I don’t have any metal or material blocking access, the covering was actually a piece of carpet that was sewn together with the seat fabric, so access is easier, but it’s a son-of-bitch given how tight you have to stretch the new vinyl.
Somewhat easier after i warmed the entire section up by propping the seat up about 2 feet away from our warm wood stove
D11CEDC0-CBD7-45D2-B19C-1F962543EEA0.jpeg
D3C731BD-60FB-4256-9873-80680E74044A.jpeg
I’m surprised I didn’t put a hog ring through the flesh of my index finger / had a couple close calls, LoL

On any event, I’m really not happy with the fit though. For $500+ it should fit perfectly like the front. I’m hesitant to recommend this to anyone, but really didn’t want to be stuck with mismatched seats so pressed-on.

Couple of bottom pics. Not sure what I’m doing to use to cover this, was looking at some black abs sheeting/marine board.

how about putting rings on the black metal bar and then hook the hog rings to the round rings. Could use large key rings or even something larger. That would allow for a looser fit.

@John Staton - thanks for the suggestion. Had envisioned (around 3am) perhaps some s-hooks but I think the rings would be more secure. Will give it a go and report back.

@John Staton - thanks for the suggestion. Had envisioned (around 3am) perhaps some s-hooks but I think the rings would be more secure. Will give it a go and report back.
so they make up to 2" key rings that you can buy on amazon. If you wanted to go up to 2.4 inches you could use these and put the ring on the fabric side and then use then clip to the bar under the seat. just depends on how much you need to let loose. You could even attach the 2inch rings to the Carabiners below and get up to 3.4"

Amazon search title:

Sunmns Metal Carabiner Clip Keyring Keychain Key Ring Chain Holder Organizer for Car/Key Finder, 3 Pack​

Amazon product ASIN B077695Q9D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom