SOR spring ?....too stiff? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've been offered a set of SOR springs a neighbor removed from his 76 because he said they were too stiff.

What are your opinions on the SOR springs? I currently have stock with add a leafs (sort of stiff in their own right)

Yeah, they are stiff.

BTW, will 40 springs fit on a 55?

SOR springs

SOR 3" soft ride on my 75. Soft ride my ass. Safari bull bar winch bumper and 8274 Warn up front. Safari swing out spare tire bumper and 200lbs of lead in rear and you still piss blood on rough terrain. The kit comes with whimpy shackles compared to Safari or OME. I have always been satisified with SOR stuff but not this time.

I have the Safari 4+ on my 40, they were on it when I bought it. Is the SOR safari on in the same?

They're getting better, but still harsh to the point that I'm leary to drive on bumpy or roads at regular speed. I slow down in the turns in case there's a dip or bump. Off road, they are just plain rough. I've read about loosening up the bolts and exercising them. I just didn't do it yet. Basically, they're brand new, with only 100 miles on them or so.

Is there a better solution, at least a spring (possibly Alcan ?sp?) that will fit my current hangers

springs

The kit comes with anti inversion shackles and the pins bottom out. I don't see how they could be over tightened. The older OME shackles didn't bottom out and if over tightened would cease to function. I bought a 40 rust bucket for parts and the straight up shackles were so over tightened that it distorted the spring leafs. Rode like it had no springs.

The best spring kit I ever used was purchased from TPI. Soft ride 3" lift was like OEM. I turned friends on to this source and all were pleased. Unfortunately the last two times I talked to TPI they seemed to have lost there source.

Bill
75 FJ40 - kicks ass
86 FJ60 - kicks ass 2

SOR Springs are stiff brittle junk, Broke two fronts and bent one more.............The rears might of rode rougher if we chained the axle to the frame............Pull a smaller leaf out and the ride might get better........if the price is right.

I can't say that mine are bad in the FJ55. We put them on in the middle of a trip so they were under a loaded truck right away and then we headed through Mexico to Guatemala before the truck was emptied again. I've had them for nearly two years now and I have no complaints, no sagging, no breakage nothing!

SOR Springs are stiff brittle junk, Broke two fronts and bent one more.............The rears might of rode rougher if we chained the axle to the frame............Pull a smaller leaf out and the ride might get better........if the price is right.

Do you pull 1 from the front or rear or both.

IMG_0008.JPG

Bear with me, I'm slowly learning the 40 series. I've been doing the searches and trying to learn as much as possible.

It does ride better with a person or 2 sitting in back. Should I just get some ballast for now, and run then like that for a while?
IMG_0008.JPG

Last edited:
Do you pull 1 from the front or rear or both.

My rear only has 2 leaves.
View attachment 270227

Bear with me, I'm slowly learning the 40 series. I've been doing the searches and trying to learn as much as possible.

It does ride better with a person or 2 sitting in back. Should I just get some ballast for now, and run then like that for a while?

I would remove the first/smallest rear spring, I gave the last set I had to a buddy and he did this and does not complain, but the price was right. The fronts I left unchanged, the breakage occured when I was rock crawling and hit the front axle or shackle on something solid and the spring broke or bent in front of the frame mount. I would run them till you are in postion to buy higher quality springs and spend your money on other stuff till then. FWIW, once you get ready to put high quality springs on, look at HFS(CCOT), OME Safari, BDS or Alcans, you get what you pay for.

I would remove the first/smallest rear spring, I gave the last set I had to a buddy and he did this and does not complain, but the price was right. The fronts I left unchanged, the breakage occured when I was rock crawling and hit the front axle or shackle on something solid and the spring broke or bent in front of the frame mount. I would run them till you are in postion to buy higher quality springs and spend your money on other stuff till then. FWIW, once you get ready to put high quality springs on, look at HFS(CCOT), OME Safari, BDS or Alcans, you get what you pay for.

Who makes the Safari 4+ from SOR, are they OME "Safari" springs, or Safari is a different company? or is it the same company that made the Snorkel for my 80.

Safari is the spring made for Man-a -Fre by McCoy of Canada. That source seems to be drying up as
the canadian manufacturers have been closing leaf spring plants and moving them to India and other places. Man-a-Fre is in the process of all new designs, with much better ride quality , better flex off road.
Prototypes are in production, about two weeks out, final production pieces probably won't be out until january. They are working with a California based company rather than long distance hoping to better address customer concerns as to the performance of these springs.

4+ products are the these aftermarket parts also available from Man-A-Fre. They don't include the leaf springs, rather the shackles , shackle reversals, U-bolt flip kits, bumper, tire carriers, etc

I just installed a safari 4.5 kit from MAF. the fronts are fine but the rears:bounce: SUCK! I am going to try removing one leaf and re-welding the shackle hangers 1.5" forward for a better angle. Hopefully between these two things the rear will be as soft as the fronts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom