SOR Seat Covers (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Stop wearing chain mail. joke aside, it would be a surprise if SOR accepts full responsibility, you made the right decision, source a reputable upholstery shop better material long term wear and tear

I decided to finally place my order for a 4Runner yesterday so hopefully those seats hold up longer then the SOR seats do.

I don’t know. I meant that I actually ordered a new 2022 4Runner. Sorry for the confusion.

Got a little side tracked when my third member took a poo. I will show updated photos when I start driving it again. SOR has offered to assist with the repair but after paying $600 just for the install I think I’ll pass and get a local to make new ones. Not sure I want the same quality material being used again.
Waterboy;
Check around your town, or even down south in Miami for an auto upholstery wholesaler.. They will often offer different "grades" of vinyl.. "quickie shops" use cheap chit materials, high-end shops offer higher quality materials (and cost more!).. The old adage "You get what you pay for" applies, BIG TIME!!
Point being, a higher quality vinyl is thicker (better quality) and endures "excessive wear" better..
I bought my '74 LC brand new in Dec '73 in Ft. Worth Texas.. we "Texicans" wear jeans (as smooth as sandpaper!) and carry thick wallets (no money, just girls phone numbers ;-} ) PLUS most vehicles sit-out "in the weather" year-round! (100+ degree temps in the summer). ALL of this is hard on our vehicle's seats and seat covers.
I've attached a couple of pics of my driver's seat.. It's "eat-up with it".. but it should be, given it had been a daily and year-round driver for over twenty years when I parked it (I also used it on a 160 acre working cattle ranch for four years!-- one get's in and out twice at every pasture gate!!)!! I believe the "key" to my Landcruiser's seats lasting as long as they did is because of the (real) sheepskin seat covers I fitted. (don't get imitation sheepskin!).. Besides keeping one's butt cooler, the "reduced" sweat does not soak down into the original vinyl, threads, cotton, etc.). Plus the sheepskin seat covers "add life" to the vinyl seat covers being protected.. Not cheap (now-a-days they cost as much as a quality re-cover job!!), but worth-it, in MY opinion!
Side Note: Never heard of "Board Shorts".. looked it up.. One company makes them out of recycled P.E.T Bottles.. How in the hell is "plastic clothes" a good thing??
Charles 1974 FJ40.
DSC09543.JPG
DSC09544.JPG

Board shorts are essentially a bathing suit but with pockets and eyes for a belt. Haven’t heard of the plastic ones yet. Haha. With the way things are going I might need to get a Prius.

If your going local you may want to order the vinyl and have them do the seats or atleast verify what they order. Many qualities of vinyl. Marine vinyl or commercial upholstery vinyl will hold up much better. I had my lx470 side bolster replaced 7 years ago and there are creases where I didn’t fix the foam underneath But where I dragged myself across the seat has no real wear. Normally you will polish the vinyl over time as it wears so it get shiny and you can slowly see it wear. Either something with weight and bite was dragged across or that’s some poor quality vinyl.

It’s poor quality. SOR has lost my business. Which is unfortunate as they do offer a lot.

So I was thinking about SOR but not sure if I should go with cruiser corps.
My seat cover failed the first week I had it on the 40 from SOR. I would definitely try other companies.

They did offer to repair it and acknowledged it was their issue, unfortunately I didn’t really feal like ripping apart my brand new seats. Fast forward two years and driver seat has blown out, the ribbing is falling off and passenger seat still has the original issue where the stitching just keeps unraveling…

My seat cover failed the first week I had it on the 40 from SOR. I would definitely try other companies.

They did offer to repair it and acknowledged it was their issue, unfortunately I didn’t really feal like ripping apart my brand new seats. Fast forward two years and driver seat has blown out, the ribbing is falling off and passenger seat still has the original issue where the stitching just keeps unraveling…
Sorry to hear that! I definitely probably will get cruiser corps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom