soot on hair dryer blower - cause? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
Trucks runnign somewhat rough and can be hard to start. When i last had trouble starting it i noticed a little smoke coming out of the drivers side of the hood. Open it up and don't see any smoke but i am now noticing quite a bit of soot on the blower and master cylinder.

Is this due to exhaust manifold leak?

Most definatly. I have experience exhaust leaks within the last week in 3 places! The one i have right now is so bad my cruiser sounds like a lowered accord with dual fart cans. I had no idea the F could be louder than a straight piped 302!
Well back to the question-Could be either the single gasket that is between the intake, exhaust manifolds and the engine block(very likely), or the gasket between the top of the exhaust manifold and the bottom of the intake manifold, or it could be a crack in the exhaust manifold, or where the bottom of the exhaust manifold mates to the exhaust pipe. I replaced my blown manifold to block gasket with two new Toyota ones from Specter, found out that 3 of the bolts on the headers were able to be taken out with bare hands they were so loose!
In the process (which took about 2-3 hours) i broke the old and loose gasket between the exhaust and intake manifolds(my current massive leak) and at one point didn't have the exhaust pipe mated to bottom of manifold tight enough cause of a stripped bolt. (C-clamp temp. fixed that)
So to fix all of this I have every bolt and gasket other than the two new ones I put on on monday that has to do with intake and exhaust coming via UPS from Specter tomorrow. I can take pictures to specifically illustrate stuff tomorrow if you need me too. Sorry for the long post.

Don't forget the gasket between the egr tube and exhaust manifold near the firewall if you have one. Replace all the other mentioned gaskets still had a leak. I hadn't noticed the egr tube. The flange on my tube was so warped I just removed the egr tube all together (my EGR is disconnected anyways) and bolted a plate over the hole with a new gasket and some copper permatex.

CruisenGA, hey thanks for the long post. Pictures would be great iff you had the time. I'll take a look at the shop manuel in the meantime to get a feel for where these gaskets attach. it's pretty tough to tell by looking in from the top as there so much xxx in there. (of course relatively speaking compared to new cars there's nothing in there).

I'm pretty busy with AP exams and such comin up :mad:, but I'll see if I can get some pics for you. I actually had it all apart again two days ago to replace the rest of the gaskets but on stripped hole in the intake, and a stuck stripped bolt at the bottom of the exhaust manifold later and I still have a leak, albiet MUCH smaller than before. I also discovered that there is no valve left on that wierd intake manifold heating thing, just a spindle sticking through the manifold. I'm thinkin its about time for some SOR tri-y headers and true duals with no mufflers! :D (Wonder what that would sound like?) 8)

understood. TOday i took a look at the Toyota manuels i've got -- the main one and the engine one -- and neither of these really talk about emissions/exhaust stuff at all. I was hoping to get a view of how these two manifolds come together and exactly how many gaskets there were.

try SOR, their diagrams are normally pretty good. There are exactly (not including carb & plenum gaskets) 3 exhaust gaskets, at least on my '74. Picture tomorrow hopefully.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom