soooooo, can you run different gear ratios on the trail (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
after sitting on my r&p gear sets for over a year.
and getting my front finished on the weekend of the july 4,
i believe i'm now runnin 5.29's in the rear and 4.88's in the front(will know for sure later when we throw it up on a rack here at work)
but last night i think i figured the 5.29 are in the rear(could be wrong)

my question would be;
if i can run most of a trail in 2wd low,locked in the rear,
is it possable to use the front axle with a different ratio, ONLY to get thru parts of a trail that need the extra traction?

OR AM I JUST ASKING FOR TROUBLE!!!

was planning on a run this weekend :frown:

thoughts?????????

thanx,jim :crybaby:

i would advise getting it done also, but if you do, don't run ANY traction areas in 4wd...only in soft sand/silt/mud where the r&p has no chance in hell of locking up. or, you could try figuring out which tires you could swap one end to to make them match up.

Jack up the rear or front and check what gears you have in them.

Go wheeling, you've got a locker in the rear, right? I bet you can get a LOT of places with a conventional 2WD trucked with a locked rear end. You've certainly got the ground clearance.

Think of it as a learning experience.. keep it in 2wd low range and see what you can negotiate. I bet you can do a lot more than you realize.

Don't lock the hubs. Don't even consider 4wd. Theoretically you'll be safe as long as the wheels can slip, but what if you catch a rock or a big root and hook up? Bye bye diffs.... or birfs. Don't tempt fate.

my toy tech here is gonna help me figure out what is in what diff.
i'm gonna try to get another set and slam it out befor i leave on friday.

CRAP!!!!! i hate doin things twice!!!! :mad:

i ordered these from DSI on pirate, he has'nt gotten back to me.
i think i'm screwed, and will have to buy another set.
both my boxes are the same #

you can get away with it, however it is a bad idea.

do it right..

Mace said:
you can get away with it, however it is a bad idea.

do it right..

:frown: yeaaaaaaa i know..............

anyone in denver/castle rock want to help me bang this out thursday night????

i'll work a deal on a set of sliders for ya!!!!!! 60 or 40's only ;)
as long as i can get a gear set by then..... :confused:

You might be able to get away with in in soft sloppy mud where you are basically hitting it full throttle and spinning all the way through. Otherwise... Nope, no way, not in 4wd.

But I think that you're getting ahead of yourself. I doubt that anyone could install a set of 4.88s and a set of 5.29s in the same week and not notice the difference. Yo have to grind A LOT more to fit the 5.29s and the pinion is noticable smaller. Betcha a dollar that your ratios are the same.

Mark...

Mark W said:
You might be able to get away with in in soft sloppy mud where you are basically hitting it full throttle and spinning all the way through. Otherwise... Nope, no way, not in 4wd.

But I think that you're getting ahead of yourself. I doubt that anyone could install a set of 4.88s and a set of 5.29s in the same week and not notice the difference. Yo have to grind A LOT more to fit the 5.29s and the pinion is noticable smaller. Betcha a dollar that your ratios are the same.

Mark...
you are absolutely correct Mark,
However, if you put the 5.29's in the front you don't have to grind anything..

Mark W said:

Mark...

i did the rears one week and the front on the 4th,i didnt put my front drive shaft on untill this last sunday.
thats when it all came about.
just got back from having it in the air out in the shop.
front tires are definitly rotating faster than the rears( in 4low)
they are definitly different ratios... :confused:
i only had to grind the rear ring.
the front i didnt have to pull the center pin.

i'm slow with the draw.......
you beat me to the punch mace ;)

If you leave the carrier assembled and the pinion shaft in place, then you can put 5.29s in without grinding the gear. But you then have to grind the pinions shaft (ends) flush with the carrier. Hard to forget doing that.

And if the front is turning faster than the rear then you don't have 5.29s in the front and 4.88s in the rear.

Mark...

And if the front is turning faster than the rear then you don't have 5.29s in the front and 4.88s in the rear.

right, it would be the other way around.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom