Sooooo how bad is this? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

mitchclem

Threads
Just pried off the passenger side valve cover to change the gasket and I discovered this. All other cam lobes appear to be fine. Is this a replace immediately thing before I put it back together? Or can I roll with it until I can find someone to repair it as I feel cams are above my pay grade

15881217591015580160958120240321.jpg

Oh $hit! Where is the chunk? I’d pull and swap in an entirely different camshaft if it was my Cruiser. Might be able to get a low mileage cam from a junkyard for relatively cheap.

I wonder if that somehow made it through QC and its always been like that?

Oh $hit! Where is the chunk? I’d pull and swap in an entirely different camshaft if it was my Cruiser. Might be able to get a low mileage cam from a junkyard for relatively cheap.
The chunk is MIA. No clue when that could have happened. I'm assuming now that there's a chunk out it's likely to continue to flake away?

I agree - probably has been like that since very early in its life - Bad casting that either made it through QC, or disintegrated shortly after first startup. Put an ad in the classifieds, bound to be a good used replacement laying around in someone's garage...

I wouldn't move that an inch until I found that chunk, or satisfied myself that it is no longer in there. After that, how lucky do you feel? Personally, I wouldn't take any chances and would not start it again until I had a different cam in there. It looks like partsouq sells the passenger intake cam for $360USD.

I've seen many worn down to nubs with lack of oil, but never one with a chunk missing like that one. That was not caused by wear / use, but rather a defect in the casting. That chunk is either in the bottom of the pan, or long ago drained out with an oil change, in either case it would never make it through the oil pickup screen, so don't sweat it. Makes sense to change out the cam however...

I agree, seeing as the patina in the pitting/ missing section is the same as that on the other non-machined sections of the camshaft. Also if you have access to a large chain style pipe cutter, you can cut open the oil filter and unravel the element and check for metal shavings or chunks. I doubt this is a new issue and would not say your vehicle is inoperable at this point, not discounting the missing section of lobe, drive it until you’re in the situation to have your camshaft replaced. My two cents. Best of luck

I’d run an oil analysis as well, through blackstone or Polaris to see if there’s accelerated wear in the engine, if there is, pull a compression check to see if it’s even worth going any further or not.

I have learned a lot over the years and saved my bacon using those oil analysis kits

This guy didn’t pull the cover because he was having valve train issues, he pulled it to replace a valve cover gasket. That’s when it was discovered. There hasn’t been any symptoms of a problem. Could have been like that for the entire life of the vehicle.

I would have the agree if that’s not the reason you took it apart then maybe not a huge issue. But these engines are plentiful I’d guess you can find one cheap.

Lots of good input here, thanks guys. I've buttoned her back together and will be keeping my eye out for a 4.7 at the wreckers with a nice intake cam and sending my oil off for testing when I do my next change. Should cams be interchangeable for for all 2UZ years and the various vehicles they were put in?

Lots of good input here, thanks guys. I've buttoned her back together and will be keeping my eye out for a 4.7 at the wreckers with a nice intake cam and sending my oil off for testing when I do my next change. Should cams be interchangeable for for all 2UZ years and the various vehicles they were put in?

No experience with this myself on the 2UZ, but I'm going to venture a guess that the VVTI cams are totally different. Pre VVTI, I'm guessing you're safe, but I'd play around with ToyoDIY and do some part number searches to verify.

No experience with this myself on the 2UZ, but I'm going to venture a guess that the VVTI cams are totally different. Pre VVTI, I'm guessing you're safe, but I'd play around with ToyoDIY and do some part number searches to verify.
Right, completely forgot about VVTI and obviously that's got everything to do with cams. Cheers.

Yeeeeah, I'd look at where it makes contact to make sure there isn't any degradation, then if thats fine I'd pretend I never saw it and just drive it. It doesn't have to make full contact across the width of the lobe.

Probably fell on the factory floor when being built. I'd continue to run it. Sad thing is ever other weird motor sound you hear you'll be thinking of this. Dont stress it. Continue enjoying your ride.

Not familiar with 100 series. 80s have valve shim buckets under the cams. If 100 is similar I would check to see how shim bucket wear is below the lobe in question. You might be able to do this without needing to remove the cam. Look below as you have lobe position in you original pic. Might be able to see it. If wear is minimal to none, I would not worry about it and run it until you find a replacement cam.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom