Soooo what the biggest winch you guys put on your Slee short bus bumper? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

This was an unfortunate miscommunication from engineering to sales. The bumper design was modified to fit the body of the winch. It was a PITA to sneak the Zeon body into the bumper with the old rear cross bar location and light tabs. Unless something has changed without my knowledge, it’s not a straightforward fit.

And did you ask for direction as to the technique they use to install it?
Christo told me on the new bumper the control box stays on the winch. Plug and play. Clearly that’s not the case. I emailed Slee last night to see what they say.

Off topic but how easy would it be to swipe any of the winches from the Slee bumper? My 80 sits in the driveway for now…

Not hard. Install winch “lock” mounting hardware. That will deter most thievea.

Cheers

I took my truck to a local muffler shop and had them weld four of the nuts on the underside of my Short Bus to the bumper itself. So, no one will be walking off with my bumper or winch without making a lot of noise and taking some time. I don't think you can get the winch out without backing the bumper off the frame horns, at least, or maybe removing the bumper entirely.

12k Milemarker Hydraulic, had to modify the valance for solenoid clearance.

Anyone would quickly figure out that it’s easier to take the entire bumper winch and all.
Probably even easier to just put the whole truck on a flatbed and steal everything if you really want the easiest route hahah

don’t use the new Harbor Freight Badlands 12k. Doesn’t fit without relocating the solenoid - and it’s a big sucker so good luck finding a spot in the engine bay

I currently have a warn vr8000 on my slee shortbus bumper and im thinking about upgrade it to a Harbor Freight (I know........) Apex 12000lbs and move my VR8000 to the rear so I will have dual winch setup.
The deal on Black Friday from Harbor Freight is just too good to not to think about it. Its 549.99 and I believe you can use a 20% off coupon on top of that.

So the question is, the slee short bus bumper is not very happy when it comes to winches that has a relatively larger size. On slees website it says the short bus is good for up to 8000lbs winches.

what do you guys have?
I know this is an old thread however did you mount the HF Alex 12,000? I picked one up on huge sale, however not finding posts about it fitting on a 94 LC.

I know this is an old thread however did you mount the HF Alex 12,000? I picked one up on huge sale, however not finding posts about it fitting on a 94 LC.
Any chance you got the Apex 12k HF winch mounted on your short bus bumper without relocation of the solenoid?

here is how I fit a Warn VR EVO 10S into a Slee short bus bar. Winch went into the bar before the bar was bolted to the cruiser. I made a bracket out of scrap flat bar that picks up three of the mounting holes on the underside of the control box, which is oriented sideways between the grill and the radiator. being sideways lets you access the plug for the hand controller. I have the wiring isolated with a switch I have attached to the battery hold down bracket.

IMG_6831.JPG

IMG_6703.JPG
IMG_6704.JPG
IMG_6668.JPG
IMG_6717.JPG

and here's a couple of the isolator switch.
IMG_6713.jpg
IMG_6695.JPG

Not specific to the biggest winch (I just have the Comeup 9.5 that the Shortbus bumper was designed around), but the solenoid box mounting approach behind the grill posted above is the same thing I did for the warn M12 (in my 200 series) and it has worked great for many years now. It is a good solution for limited space in the bumper.

Not specific to the biggest winch (I just have the Comeup 9.5 that the Shortbus bumper was designed around), but the solenoid box mounting approach behind the grill posted above is the same thing I did for the warn M12 (in my 200 series) and it has worked great for many years now. It is a good solution for limited space in the bumper.
It just looks so much cleaner being hidden away too, I have a black cover that hides the winch and I keep the hook stored in the recovery kit so it's quite subtle. I have managed to fly under the radar quite well with this cruiser as our highway police will issue a defect notice for a suspension lift and larger tyres, but being that this car looks fairly tidy it doesn't attract the attention.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom