Soo.. is it time for a land cruiser?? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello IH8Mud,

2 Part question... Bare with me..

I absolutely love my 5th Gen 4runner, but the family is growing beyond what I can currently seat without 3 rows. And even with 3 rows in a 4runner, those tiny backseats just won't cut it..

Soo.. I'm trying to read up on the 100 and 200 series LandCruisers and LX470/570 twins as I give my truck a solid detail to get her ready to sell..

I'm curious if anyone here has Back to back experience between the two platforms. How much work am I going to have to put into the bigger platform to end up with a truck just as capable as my current 4runner (lifted 3 inches TRD-Pro on 33's with a decent amount of armor).. How much of a liability offroad is that bigger wheelbase and overhang? Are there PIA limitations to stuffing bigger tires under those vehicles? Do things bigger than 33's mean body mount chops, or hours banging over pinch welds/seams?

Any information/thoughts/experiences shared will be greatly appreciated!

This next vehicle is my one vehicle for everything..literally, everything.. 2 cars for myself is not an option right now... So I need one vehicle to do it all...

For example, the role my current 4R does is:

Daily driving (50-80 miles per week)
1.) 20 min commute to office 1x-3x a week
2.) Errands, aka, to the gym, grocery store, weekend hardware store runs, kids activities, etcetera...

Adventuring (0-120 miles per week)
1.) Mountain biking (30-1hr highway driving)
2.) Ski trips (90min highway, frequently snowy mountain pass in PNW cascades.
3.) Camp trips.. 1hr hwy, dirt roads, to actual off-road driving The last trip we took for reference..
(alltrails.com)
(Off-Roading at Fortune Creek Trail | On the Trail | DrivingLine)
4.) Off-road day trips of OHV parks.. (4-lo, Diff locked, Wheel hanging in the air (need to get those sway-bay disconnects!)

Also, very importantly.. My fabrication skills start and end at a Bridgeport mill, the only welds I can make successfully are of the JB variety.. I want a vehicle that has solutions already figured out, I don't have time/patience/ skills to weld a Tundra front end on a Sequoia sub frame..

However, I am more than happy to spend a weekend in the garage bolting stuff on... I have access to a lift and any tool I would need...

Right now,, other than the lack of space for a family of 6, my 4runner is perfect ( or would be with a maggy blower on it...)

So.. what else is there? I keep falling back on a Landcruiser/Lexus variant.

(i think the GX460 isn't big enough, as that is LC Prado, and as far as I can tell, no bigger than my 4R...)

Any other ideas??

How many kids, what ages? Sounds like you need a minivan and an off-roader- you can get a cruiser to do both but it ain't gonna be cheap.

I'm curious if anyone here has Back to back experience between the two platforms. How much work am I going to have to put into the bigger platform to end up with a truck just as capable as my current 4runner (lifted 3 inches TRD-Pro on 33's with a decent amount of armor)..
The 100 and 200 are both more capable in bone stock form than a lifted 5th Gen.

How much of a liability offroad is that bigger wheelbase and overhang?
Liability? None. Maneuverability on tight trails? Some issues. FWIW, The approach and departure angles are similar between the 100 and 5th Gen, both of which are slightly better than a 200.
100: A = 34*; D = 26*
200: A = 30*; D = 25*
5th Gen: A = 33*; D = 26*
Are there PIA limitations to stuffing bigger tires under those vehicles? Do things bigger than 33's mean body mount chops, or hours banging over pinch welds/seams?
No. 33s fit stock on the 100 and 200; 35s fit with some very minor trimming of the pinch welds and small “lift”.

think the GX460 isn't big enough, as that is LC Prado, and as far as I can tell, no bigger than my 4R...
They are equivalent in nearly every way. The 120/150 = GX = Prado = 4runner.

I’ve taken many trips with my wife, 4 kids and a rooftop cargo box — we have a sequoia as well :)

Hello IH8Mud,

2 Part question... Bare with me..

I absolutely love my 5th Gen 4runner, but the family is growing beyond what I can currently seat without 3 rows. And even with 3 rows in a 4runner, those tiny backseats just won't cut it..

Soo.. I'm trying to read up on the 100 and 200 series LandCruisers and LX470/570 twins as I give my truck a solid detail to get her ready to sell..

I'm curious if anyone here has Back to back experience between the two platforms. How much work am I going to have to put into the bigger platform to end up with a truck just as capable as my current 4runner (lifted 3 inches TRD-Pro on 33's with a decent amount of armor).. How much of a liability offroad is that bigger wheelbase and overhang? Are there PIA limitations to stuffing bigger tires under those vehicles? Do things bigger than 33's mean body mount chops, or hours banging over pinch welds/seams?

Any information/thoughts/experiences shared will be greatly appreciated!

This next vehicle is my one vehicle for everything..literally, everything.. 2 cars for myself is not an option right now... So I need one vehicle to do it all...

For example, the role my current 4R does is:

Daily driving (50-80 miles per week)
1.) 20 min commute to office 1x-3x a week
2.) Errands, aka, to the gym, grocery store, weekend hardware store runs, kids activities, etcetera...

Adventuring (0-120 miles per week)
1.) Mountain biking (30-1hr highway driving)
2.) Ski trips (90min highway, frequently snowy mountain pass in PNW cascades.
3.) Camp trips.. 1hr hwy, dirt roads, to actual off-road driving The last trip we took for reference..
(alltrails.com)
(Off-Roading at Fortune Creek Trail | On the Trail | DrivingLine)
4.) Off-road day trips of OHV parks.. (4-lo, Diff locked, Wheel hanging in the air (need to get those sway-bay disconnects!)

Also, very importantly.. My fabrication skills start and end at a Bridgeport mill, the only welds I can make successfully are of the JB variety.. I want a vehicle that has solutions already figured out, I don't have time/patience/ skills to weld a Tundra front end on a Sequoia sub frame..

However, I am more than happy to spend a weekend in the garage bolting stuff on... I have access to a lift and any tool I would need...

Right now,, other than the lack of space for a family of 6, my 4runner is perfect ( or would be with a maggy blower on it...)

So.. what else is there? I keep falling back on a Landcruiser/Lexus variant.

(i think the GX460 isn't big enough, as that is LC Prado, and as far as I can tell, no bigger than my 4R...)

Any other ideas??

If money is no object, the new Sequoia TRD Pro? Might check all your boxes, and though 80k is alot of cheddar, if you don't turn it over and keep it for a decade, it helps.
1662039244736.png

Kid height matters. The legroom in 100s sucks for all but the front two occupants. I have two girls. They are 5'8" and 5"11". They tolerate the 2nd row (taller kid gets the seat behind my wife - who's only 5'9") and they outgrew the 3rd row in elementary school. For this family of four, the 100 is barely adequate.

For the cost of a nice 100 or 200, you might be better off with a 4Runner or Sequoia and dedicated toy.

Depending on age/ size of the kids, certainly not a GX/ Prado/ 120. As noted above, still just a fancy 4Runner. And further, the rear seats suuuuuuck. There are 5 of us, all pretty tall. We put our 11yo back there on our last road trip and he was basically stacked in like luggage, and he griped about how hard that seat is the whole time. I have a 99 LX470 and I'd say it's... 15% larger than my wife's 15 GX on the inside. And a 200 is a little bit bigger yet. BUT... both of those are trucks where access to the rear seat (which is kind of an ancillary feature on the LC platform- always has been since the very start) kinda sucks and the seats themselves kinda eat up all your cargo room.

It just depends on how you want to go and what you can afford to do. The right medium-old 4x4 Sequoia was what I was really looking for when I found my LX470, and might also be pretty capable if built up. For any of em, if you're outgrowing a 4Runner, spend $50-100 and get yourself a rooftop cargo bag, at least, to shove duffelbags into on road trips. Helps a lot.

And true facts- we traded out of a minivan to that GX KNOWING it was gonna be tight with the 5 of us in for a little bit. But we pretty rarely all 5 are in same car these days, and as oldest graduates that'll be rarer still. If your kids are little- a minivan is a good move. Doesn't have to be your whole life, but it'll make your life easier for a few years.

Go get a 200 and go on with life. You won’t regret it. It’s light years ahead of the 4 runners, space is great with 3 kids.

My 100 gets small quickly inside with all 3 kids and the dogs. The 200 feels cavernous with the same load.

Plus side is aftermarket support for the 100/200 platform. I don’t know if anything that you can’t buy off the shelf and bolt on for them.

33s stock are zero issue, 35s are very easily done. A trac and crawl control are phenomenal.

I don’t think you’ll regret either a 100 or a 200. I know you won’t a 200.

I will recommend a minivan and a 100 for off the pavement trips. You CAN"T beat the functionality and comfort of a minivan. And you can sell your 4R and if it is a late model and you have equity in it, it will pay for the 100 in cash and about 60% of the minivan.

Soo.. is the 200 series really that much larger in the 3rd row than a 100 series? And a Sequoia even bigger than the 200 Series?
Maybe I do need to look into a sequoia..

Sequoia definitely has more sizable third row, still pales in comparison with a minivan. Also, if you are in snowing/slippery conditions a lot, the all-time 4wd on 100/200 is far superior to the part time 4wd you get in Sequoia/Tundra/4Runner (excluding the Limited).

Happy to expand on the all time 4WD advantages if you care.

Sequoia definitely has more sizable third row, still pales in comparison with a minivan. Also, if you are in snowing/slippery conditions a lot, the all-time 4wd on 100/200 is far superior to the part time 4wd you get in Sequoia/Tundra/4Runner (excluding the Limited).

Happy to expand on the all time 4WD advantages if you care.

The full time 4WD was one of the reasons I grabbed a 2uz 4R for the wife. It just works all the time no questions, no switches, no getting stuck before you forgot to hit 4WD.

I do see a good amount of people recommend the 200, I do love the power they have but there’s something about the 2uz I love. It’s smooth, it’s been proven reliable, they’re about as “bullet proof” as you can make with so many moving parts.

Im sure I’m overthinking this but I read a few posts about the coolant valley plate leak, oil cam tower leak, oil in spark plug tubes, and timing chain cover leak. Again none of those are problems that just pop up and leave you stranded but when I have over 200k on each of the (2) 2UZs in my driveway neither has leaked ever from anywhere on the engine it’s a hard pill for me to swallow when the jump from an 03-07 100 (15-30k max) -> 200 (35k is about the start for a well maintained one?)

Soo.. I finally had a chance to see a 4runner, a Land Cruiser (2018?) and a 2ng gen Sequoia side by side in person.

I was blown away how very little difference there was between the 4 runner and the LC. In my mind I always thought of a Land Cruiser as such a big vehicle. it isn't.. It's barely any bigger than the 4runner. The third row seats are a joke for anyone taller than 4 feet. Which sucks. I really wanted a LC chassis to work for me.. But it is not meant to be..

So... I guess as I get the 4R detailed for pretty "for sale" pics, it is time to research the Sequoia.. It looks like there are some after-market locking diffs for it... and decent choices for armor...

I think the only SUV growing up playing hockey that fit as much as a minivan was an old Suburban or maybe an expedition?

I want an LC to replace the 4R because I need more room behind the 2nd row. Most traveling is 2 of us but sometimes we drag a nephew/niece somewhere. I would bet my 3rd would never even see use. Maybe a one off trip here and there.

As much hate as a minivan gets it’s the cargo hauler. I drive a Savanna 2500 cargo van instead of a pickup because I can keep more tools inside and still haul material, never was a ‘truck’ guy though. Actually I can fit a few 14’ long 2xs in my van diagonally in a pinch, 12’s are easy. I also have way too many friends with trucks and I don’t actually think I’ve needed to fit something that wouldn’t fit in my van.

Soo.. I finally had a chance to see a 4runner, a Land Cruiser (2018?) and a 2ng gen Sequoia side by side in person.

I was blown away how very little difference there was between the 4 runner and the LC. In my mind I always thought of a Land Cruiser as such a big vehicle. it isn't.. It's barely any bigger than the 4runner. The third row seats are a joke for anyone taller than 4 feet. Which sucks. I really wanted a LC chassis to work for me.. But it is not meant to be..

So... I guess as I get the 4R detailed for pretty "for sale" pics, it is time to research the Sequoia.. It looks like there are some after-market locking diffs for it... and decent choices for armor...
ya if i had to go with one it would be a 200, as a do everything vehicle. I've spend lots of time in a second gen Sequoia and like stated above, when it was designed its number 1 priority was a people hauler. it does that phenomenally (extremely comfortable on long trips as well). After owning both, the iforce 5.7 is a all around better engine that the 4.7 (especially for highway use), don't get it twisted, i love my 100 and it would be hard to pry it out of my hands but just stating the facts.

now with that said I'm a pretty avid "off-roader" and i wouldn't dare take a sequoia off road, at least not for east coast wheeling. Those trucks are massive. That's not to say they aren't capable enough, i've seen plenty of guys build and wheel them, just wouldn't work for me.

that just my 2cents on a 1 vehicle for everything, i have multiple vehicles for different purposes, so don't take my word for it. The best thing you can do is get behind the wheel of one and test it out in your family's real world scenarios

:beer:

IDK, seems like the new Sequoia with solid rear axle and rear locker would do all most people would need off-road.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom