Sony 9” touchscreen into my HJ61 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Gday all,
About 6 months back I purchased a Sony 9” touchscreen stereo head unit with Apple Car Play. It sat in the shed until today, as my car was away getting an engine rebuild which took 9 1/2 months....
I do have a perfectly good Kenwood Bluetooth stereo, but wanted Google Maps / Messages and Spotify on a screen other than my phone.
Here are a few pics of the days work:

Gauge cluster out (was easier than I thought it would be, and gives easy access to everything needed. This is with the original head unit still in
4535D57F-CB1C-472D-A7A6-D7CAC4DA9059.jpeg

I bolted the Sony to the factory bracket - everything lined up! Another reason for the Sony and not a double DIN was I didn’t want to lose the storage tray under the head unit as it is where I keep my wallet...
9BEB1171-DADA-4AC1-B3A5-71413084F732.jpeg

okay, so this is where I get dodgy... after about 2 hours mucking around, trying to get the 4 mounting screws in that hold the screen on, I drilled 4 holes through the dash for the screwdriver to go through, and used cardboard to hold the screw in place while it started to thread into the hole... (look at my dash - a few holes isn’t going to hurt it, and it is covered by the dash mat anyway!!...) the installation manual did mention something about no more than a 22mm setback.
I think this is why!
4957AB56-A194-4E34-9407-B73BB89B4755.jpeg

everything is back in and working! I didn’t connect the rear view camera as I already have one which works perfectly. It looks quite big in this photo, but not sitting in the car...
The screen just clears the dash - the dash mat tucks in tight behind it...
The 60 has a bit of modern tech now (with wind-up windows)!
58563900-3084-4B37-B4F8-F9B6A9B1597B.jpeg

And a photo from yesterday’s drive - the first in SO long!!
B1CE0F90-189A-4A47-ABE1-94FA6B6060EE.jpeg

Gday all,
About 6 months back I purchased a Sony 9” touchscreen stereo head unit with Apple Car Play. It sat in the shed until today, as my car was away getting an engine rebuild which took 9 1/2 months....
I do have a perfectly good Kenwood Bluetooth stereo, but wanted Google Maps / Messages and Spotify on a screen other than my phone.
Here are a few pics of the days work:

Gauge cluster out (was easier than I thought it would be, and gives easy access to everything needed. This is with the original head unit still in
View attachment 2638916

I bolted the Sony to the factory bracket - everything lined up! Another reason for the Sony and not a double DIN was I didn’t want to lose the storage tray under the head unit as it is where I keep my wallet...
View attachment 2638917

okay, so this is where I get dodgy... after about 2 hours mucking around, trying to get the 4 mounting screws in that hold the screen on, I drilled 4 holes through the dash for the screwdriver to go through, and used cardboard to hold the screw in place while it started to thread into the hole... (look at my dash - a few holes isn’t going to hurt it, and it is covered by the dash mat anyway!!...) the installation manual did mention something about no more than a 22mm setback.
I think this is why!
View attachment 2638918

everything is back in and working! I didn’t connect the rear view camera as I already have one which works perfectly. It looks quite big in this photo, but not sitting in the car...
The screen just clears the dash - the dash mat tucks in tight behind it...
The 60 has a bit of modern tech now (with wind-up windows)!
View attachment 2638919
And a photo from yesterday’s drive - the first in SO long!!
View attachment 2638925
Your dual spare tire set up made me smile.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom