Son farted, daughter broke the window (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So my son farted and my daughter rolled down the rear window and now It really roll back up again un
2AB79F18-A291-4106-99C2-6F3F3F0EEDFF.jpeg
less I open the door and reposition the bracket. I think the bracket supposed to be more toward the back of the vehicle. Here’s a picture. Do I need to pull the door apart and really get after it? Is there a quick fix?

So my son farted and my daughter rolled down the rear window and now It really roll back up again unView attachment 3074156less I open the door and reposition the bracket. I think the bracket supposed to be more toward the back of the vehicle. Here’s a picture. Do I need to pull the door apart and really get after it? Is there a quick fix?
That looks the same as mine do. I’ve been in a few times.

Assuming the glass is still in the rubber glass run?

If you grab the arm is it movable in the track, even slightly, ie: check that the wheel is in the track and not stuck (it doesn't appear to be out of the track).

With your head close to the regulator what do you see and hear when you press the window switch? ie: click and nothing, or click and the arm tries to move then nothing??

Point is, if the arm isn't stuck or wheel out of the track, then it could be a dead motor. Only thing to do is to first tape the window in place, run a couple long strips of a strong tape up and over the door frame sticking to both sides of the glass to hold the window up.

Then unbolt the regulator from the door (4-10mm bolts), disconnect the motor harness, and pull the regulator with motor out of the door cavity via
the large opening.

(Tip: stuff a roll of paper towels in the bottom of the door cavity while the regulator is out, that will cushion the fall if the tape lets loose and drops the glass)

Once you have the regulator in your hand inspect for damage then hook the power back up to the motor and push the switch to see if the regulator-motor moves. Don't get your fingers in the way of any moving parts.

Photo shows a new left side rear door regulator and new motor siting on the rear seat. In the background (left, lower) is the door switch and harness. For those with eagle eyes, the last screw to mount the new motor has not yet been installed, the arm had to be moved to gain access to the screw hole.

FZJ80 left rear door window regulator hooked up for power.jpg

Edit: I missed the part that you can reposition the glass then it will go up??

Last edited:
Take a look at the metal part that the glass sits in. That tends to shift and can be slid over using a wooden handle of a hammer or similar to slide that bracket your window sits in.

I slid the channel back to where it is supposed to go and it seems to be doing better now. Eventually I need to get the channel glued on there.

I slid the channel back to where it is supposed to go and it seems to be doing better now. Eventually I need to get the channel glued on there.
Once you get the channel repositioned properly you can pinch the end a bit with some pliers so the little wheel won't come off the rail again.
Inked2AB79F18-A291-4106-99C2-6F3F3F0EEDFF_LI.jpg

I had the same happen a number of times, sans farts, when one of the kids lowered the rear window. I was fixing it on the side of the road for the second time while on a family camping trip and I'd finally had enough. I had some silicon gasket stuff in the trails repair kit, I coated it on there and haven't had a problem in 10 years.

Could this gas inside the cab be recirculated back into the EGR system somehow? Or perhaps a second Charcoal Canister could be mounted below the seat?

Last edited:
FWIW and for those that don't know, the U shaped window lift channel holds onto the glass by the spring tension of the metal "lips" and IME if you can just slide or pop the channel back on the glass by hand that indicates that the U channel has lost it's tension and the glass is more likely to pull out again. The "correct" fix is to replace the channel and filler IMHO.

Last edited:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom