1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sometimes parents are just STUPID!

Discussion in 'Chit-Chat' started by Zack1978, Jul 22, 2005.

1. Zack1978

Zack1978 SILVER Star

Media:
    Hey everyone,
    As you know, I am the prin of my local summer school. In summer school there are strict attendance rules, (no more than 2 abs, three lates = 1 ab). The prog runs from Jun 27 - Jul 29, on Jul 7th 2 students who are in the Phys ed class lost credit for lates and abs. In an attempt to help the students (who were seniors and should have graduated!!) I gave them an attendance contract, they need to make up time, and not be absent or late for the rest of the summer. Well yesterday both students took off. NOW THEY LOSE CREDIT!! One parent I called was great, he said his son was given a chance and he did not live up to it so he deserves to lose credit and not graduate.

The other parent was crazy! He claims that I am on a mission to ruin his sons life, and I refuse to let him graduate. He told me that I should be nervous because he knows a lot of cops in town, and they will be after me. It just amazes me that there are parents who refuse to admit that their children are at fault. I wanted to laugh at this father, because I went above and beyond to help his child, but I am "ruining his life!!"

Rant over!!,
    Zack

2. stayalert

stayalert SILVER Star

If someone threatened one of your teachers what's the procedure? File a report? contact the PD? Personally I have a low tolerance for threats and would treat this a such. Sounds like you went the "extra mile" with the contract adhere to the conditions stipulated in the contract. Did the parents agree to the contract?

..and as kris kristoferson said to Sinead Oconnor at a Bob Dylan tribute "Don't let the bastards get you down"

I remember this quote most predominately becuase right after she left the stage Neil Young came out and performed an "all along the watchtower" that was epic.....but I digress......

3. stinkyfj60

stinkyfj60

Thats a huge problem today, people refuse to take responsibility for their own actions. Blame someone else first! That kid doesnt have a chance with a father like that...

4. flintknapper

flintknapper

Just what I was thinking. We find the entire problem within the "Header" that was posted (Sometimes parent's are just STUPID). Any surprise the child is stupid too?

Amazing.

5. crushers

crushers post ho

fail the kid and call the parents bluff...

6. Zack1978

Zack1978 SILVER Star

Media:
    Yeah the kid has failed. You know he claimed that he wanted to go in the military in August, but now he can't because he does not have a HS dip. Yeah! he would have lasted a long time in the military!!

Zack

7. Gumby

Gumby Supamod Staff Member s-Moderator

I have no desire to ever want to be an administrator. Everything I enjoy about my job would be gone and everything I hate about it would be all I do. So far, almost all of my parental contacts have been positive.

Fail him. There's really nothing else you can do. Let him try that attitude in the work force, especially in a job that doesn't require a HS diploma. Problem is, the father will just go to the central administration that will cave because it's not worth their time to back up the teacher/pricipal.

8. mloudy

mloudy

I bet parent #2 has a great work attendance record too. Way too many parents make excuses for their children. Defending them until the end, right or wrong.

I get so many sob stories of why employees can't make it to work on time. Being on time is about the only thing I ask, it's important to me. When I hear the excuses I always remind them that in the 20 years I have been working I have been late to work ZERO times.

9. LongIsland60

LongIsland60

The parent is acting out of frustration. Not understanding that is a sure sign you might not be cut out for an administrator role. Certianly it is not right to threaten and I am sure it is an empty one, but not letting a kid graduate because he missed gym class? Come on. That is just ridiculous. The parents are frustrated. I am sure you may have experienced that once or twice in your life. A little empathy might be in order. You never did anything wrong as a kid?

I was once given in-school suspension because I was late too many times. It was my senior year, I had already been exempt from the class final I had for first period because my average for the class was in the 90s. I had been accepted to an ivy league college, was in the honor society and the idiot administrator gave me detention. I told him I coldn't go because I worked and was training for my sport in NYC most evenings. So, he gave me in-school suspension. I asked him if he felt it was appropriate punishment - meaning punishing me for missing school by making me miss more school!? I then asked if there was a policy against abscences. He said no unless there is no note from the parent. I pointed out that the next time I woke up late, given the tardiness punishment, it would be better for me to skip school altogether rather than come late since I would be given more punishment in that case. I told him his policies were a bit silly and that he should be out punishing the kids who were fighting or smoking in the bathrooms. He then told me I had an attitude problem and would call my parents. I suggeted that would be a good idea. He did so. My father laughed at him and told him he thought it was a ridiculous policy and that I was not the one with the 'problem.' However, if the admin felt it was necessary to teach me a lesson he would not interfere. I got the suspension. It was pretty funny.

Blanket, blind, silly policies are what make a lot of the school administration a joke to many parents and kids.

Have fun enforcing your rules and the smugness that comes with it. I feel safe and relieved that your school is doing its utmost to protect its reputation by making sure every child goes to all their gym classes. Given the obesity in this society it appears that the schools are not doing their job with that regard anyway. It would be nice for once to have truly accountable school districts and administrators. Alas, that will never happen. The education systems are not meritocracies, they are overburdened bureaucracies that kick the life out of many kids that go through it.

/rant over

10. sixsracing

sixsracing

It may be better to pass the little bugger that wants to go into the military. Maybe that will help him get a handle on his life.

Long Island 60 made some great points and it carried me back to my HS days, I was deemed an attitude problem at that time and a teacher approached my Dad at commencement to tell him just that. I graduated valedictorian and took every award in every class I was in and lettered in two sports. My father told her where she could put her attitude assessment.

11. stinkyfj60

stinkyfj60

12. stayalert

stayalert SILVER Star

Chip? Is that you? yes I'm certain..the way you said those things.....you must be Chip..................Chip Shoulder....Still living in Me-ville?

Good to hear the idiot administrators with there blind polocies didn't kick the life out of you....

You sound like an authority on bureaucracies. What are you doing now? putting your IV degree (assuming) to good use? Got kids? Gonna home school 'em?

sarcastic unsolicited response to rant off.....

13. flintknapper

flintknapper

You handled it very well IMO.

The sad fact is that "attitude problems" exist. There will always be those who think it is their privilege to go against the grain, make up their own rules, or follow only those they deem acceptable.

Invariably, they carry this into adulthood. As far as academics are concerned, they can be quite bright and often are "achievers". Unfortunately, academic achievement in itself will not get you very far in life. A proper attitude and a willingness to accept and follow established rules and regulations is of great importance.

Problem is...kids are not learning this at home.

(Preparing for the flames.)

14. Doc

Doc

Media:
    Albums:
    While I agree with the essence of what LI60 was saying, I also find myself nodding in agreement to Flint.

Established rules are there for a reason. Some may be stupid/lame/dumb/etc.. but they are still the rules. Don't like them? Get on the board or make a petition to change them. You'll get a lot furter with the 'establishment' when you try to change the rules in a positive manner than acting like a dick and flaunting your rebellion in their face.

15. stayalert

stayalert SILVER Star

Getting on the board or somehow beijng part of an improvement was my first thought but LI60's rant led me to believe maybe too late for that...better just avoid the education system altogether....

My wife and I have an 8 & 6 year old in public schools. We're more involved/tuned in than most but are always talking about ways to do the best we can for our kids. Kids are all different, schools (public, private, etc.) can only accomodate so much. No easy answer for this challenge. Some of the standardized testing is rasing alot of questions around these parts.

16. stinkyfj60

stinkyfj60

I think one of the biggest problems is parents. My wife works with a woman that refuses to teach her kid how to read because it is "the schools job to do that". WTF!?!?!? And then when the kid doesnt perform well, she blames the school.

Next year will be the first year our 7yr old will go to public school after going to private school since pre-school. I am kind of worried because I know her reading skill are ahead of her grade. But will just have to stay intune with things.

17. LongIsland60

LongIsland60

No idea who Chip is. In my experience in 'the real world' (I find it ironic that school teachers and admins like to tell kids about that term, but they don't live it) many that make differences in companies and who are leaders are those that don't care for policies for policiy sake. The term 'think outside the box' is used often. I am not advocating wholesale disregard for laws or useful regulations, but the kinds of policies that admins hold over many kids are just ludicrous. Sure, they are there for a reason, but in many cases the original intent is so far removed from the application in question that it is a joke. It was great of this acting principal to try to work with the kid to give him another shot, but my general rant was more about the rationale behind the sacred rules.

Perhaps I was overly harsh in my criticism. I am certainly not one to suggest people should no be held accountable for their actions - on the contrary. What I abhor is ridiculous posturing and policies that make no sense in a system that is largely a joke in the first place. Pointing out that a parent is "STUPID" because they would like what they and the rest of the taxpayers in the district paid for, a piece of paper that says you graduated from a fine public institution is not the way I would like an administrator in my district to act. Not understanding frustration and making fun of it in a public forum is not something to admire in an administrator. Getting upset and such an empty threat of improper harrassment from local police is also a bit overkill. I am sure it is not pleasant to be spoken to in that manner, but it needs to roll off. Sure the person was out of line, but ridiculing is not the way to manage this situation. How is that helping? As an administrator your responsibility is to the taxpayers, the parents and the kids. Did you really do all you could, or did you set them up for failure so that you could sit back and say "I told you so?"

I don't know all the circumstances obviously, but what I did see was:

- inappropriate (to me) ranting about how stupid parents are by an acting admin who just recently posted on this board how he thought he was so inadequate and was intimidated by the prospect of being the man. I thought it was uncalled for and given the rant it would seem that if the kid was a bad egg that we would have gotten an earful about that as well.
    - my knowledge of a number of school districts and the silliness that goes on there
    - friends and acquaintences that are in the "education" field and the twisted rationale that many of them have.

Thanks for the smackdown you guys, but I stand by my comments.

18. PHBeerman

PHBeerman

Didn't you play some women's game in college?

19. LongIsland60

LongIsland60

Hey Mr. Beer - thanks for bringing that up! :)

I suppose those of you into baseball and football will laugh, point and scorn... sport was fencing. I was training in NYC with olympic team members. I thought it was better use of my time than hanging out with derilicts or with the high school athletes. I did not make it to the olympics, but was a better experience than most of high school, that is for sure.

And those who like to make :princess: jokes about some sports - as I pointed out to my wrestler brother who made a comment - who is more :princess: ? Me fencing, or him rolling around on a mat with another guy in tights...

20. PHBeerman

PHBeerman

Isn't that a frenchie game?