Sometimes it’s the small things…FMS & SMS…Mirror Fixes… (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Greetings. 1995 FZJ80.

Understanding there are separate threads for these issues, I simply wanted to praise both @NLXTACY & @Outsane for their creativity, responsiveness, and commitment to our community after offering solutions for the “Floppy Mirror Syndrome” and the “Shaky Mirror Syndrome” that plague 80s.

Like many, I tried the bolt and washer fix (FMS) plus the zip tie option (SMS), but was never all that thrilled with the results. Someone mentioned in Joey’s FMS thread that it seemed they were constantly driving away from an earthquake…that was definitely my experience. Very irritating and distracting.

Thanks to these two creative guys you can easily solve both problems in under an hour. Years of frustration will melt away on the post-install test drive. What a difference…sometimes it’s the small things in life.

A few tips…

- Definitely easier to take the mirror off the truck.

- Plenty of slack in the mirror motor wire harness and easy to remove the wiring pins from the mirror.

- So much easier to use a bench vise to collapse the mirror post spring…just be careful to protect the exposed painted surface of your mirror post (slightly scratched mine in the vise, but was easy to touch-up).

- Keep track of the three small ball bearings.

- I hand-filed the mirror post and what was left of the hooks on the cast mount. This made the installation of both fixes much easier.

- Secure the FMS collar high on the post…should be flush with the top of the post per Joey’s thread.

- Finally, and probably what stressed me the most during this very easy job, be careful prying the interior triangle garnish off the window frame. Start at the top with a good trim tool and watch for the brittle plastic post. Go slow. I’ve attached a few photos of what to look for…

25D4C690-42B4-41C6-81B7-8647F08B7840.jpeg

01DA1AEC-5258-4181-957F-132E4A2219DE.jpeg

Very easy fix and such a relief for those of us suffering from LC OCD.

Thanks again @NLXTACY and @Outsane!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom