Sometimes it’s the simple things (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
One thing I have always hated about my FJ62 is how my keys bang against the steering column while driving. I was cleaning up my garage earlier and realized that some of the “soft side” of Velcro might solve my problem. It’s not tested yet, but it’s slowing ALOT of promise. Note, it’s not near as obvious or large looking like in the pictures.
48E1DAB9-2113-4E40-8940-E31F50E1380A.jpeg

BE82A2C7-D995-47D7-8009-8C1056CCA5EA.jpeg

Did that same thing years ago with a small scrap of marine carpet that was left over from cutting a piece for the bottom of my Tuffy. So nice to have those little annoyances taken care of.

You’re one step closer to enlightenment young grasshopper-
The weight of all those swinging keys in the key ring along with the incessant vibration while driving will inexorably grind down the keyway inside the lock cylinder and key until one day you’ll notice that the key falls out of the ignition cylinder while you’re driving.
You’ll think it’s a fluke so you’ll poke the key back in (noticing how easily it inserts) then continue on your way.
Then it will happen again and this time you’ll say WTF? and you’ll insert the key back in and finally reach the enlightened realization that the keyway and key is completely shot.

So lesson for the day: Don’t use heavy key fobs. Remove the key from the fob before driving so only one key 🔑 is pulling on the keyway.

Otherwise you’ll be ordering a China copy ignition cylinder from RockAuto before you know it and it’ll have a different key than all the other locks in the cruiser.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom