Sometimes its the little things........... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Recently finished deleting my ABS and LSPV on the cruiser. Replaced the Brake Vacuum Booster and Master Cylinder while I was at it.

When finished....I noticed that my brake lights (at rear of vehicle) were on (key off). Well....that's not good I said to myself.

I pumped the brake pedal a couple of times thinking maybe the brake light switch was stuck. No change.

Disconnected the battery so it wouldn't be drained. I snaked my arm up under the dash and manually pressed the plunger on the brake light switch, it felt fine.

I knew the brake pedal adjustment was correct and the booster rod adjustment correct.....so what could it be?

Then I noticed what looked like small pieces of hard plastic on the floor board. Hmmmm....?

Got a flashlight and wedged myself between the seat and firewall so I could see up under the dash. Not a comfortable position for an Old Man, but I spotted the trouble. There is (or is supposed to be) a small rubber cushion between the brake lever and the brake light switch plunger. It's only about a 1/4" thick but it needs to be there.

Brake Pedal Cushion01.jpg

The brake light switch is a 'Normally Open' switch. The brake pedal return spring pulls the brake pedal lever back against the plunger on the brake light switch and this keeps the contacts open (no brake lights). When you depress the brake pedal by even 3/8" the plunger comes forward, the contacts inside the switch mate and complete the circuit (you now have brake lights).

Brake Light Switch.jpg

Since it is a 'constant hot' circuit....(even with key off) if you don't notice your brake lights are on....expect to have a dead battery at some point.

A $2.00 part kept me from enjoying my Land Cruiser for 3 days while waiting on the part.

Yes, I could have adjusted the brake light switch out a bit, but then I would have had to do it all again once the cushion was installed, but moreover.....I hate working under the dash for any reason.

First because I'm old (68) and something less than flexible. Second...I don't fit well in that space. I'm 6'-5" and 260 lbs. and that combination does not lend itself to under the dash work.

Anyway, got it done. Just glad I saw the brake lights on. If I hadn't....I wouldn't have had no clue why my battery was dead the next day. Probably gone down a few rabbit holes trying to sort that out.

That rubber cushion is more trouble to install than it should be. I've had to do a couple or three and it's always a contortion show.
^^^^

It really is.

Not only is it hard to see and reach but you have to get the cushion in place, let the brake pedal return to capture the cushion (between the mounting pad and plunger), then figure out how to pull the nipple through the hole in the pad. Whew....what a run-on sentence!

I used a pair of needle nose pliers to finally get enough grip on it to seat the nipple. Thought I had it the first time....but when I pressed on the brake pedal to see if the cushion would stay put....it fell out and dropped down the front of my shirt (of course). Damn....!

Had to extract myself from between the seat and the floor board, fish the cushion out from under my shirt and dive back in. Got it on the second try but I swear I thought I'd tear the nipple off before the cushion fully seated.

Half afraid to look....I went to the back of the vehicle and the brake lights were off.....so I left it at that.

A lot of vehicles have those.. I've used a plastic push clip (the ones that kinda look like a Christmas tree) several times to fix them. It tends to last longer than the rubber ones but not a great option for the OEM everything folks.

If there’s work to be done under the dash, the first thing I do is remove the seat.

I use my cell phone front facing camera as a second set of eyes for viewing under the dash and tight spaces.

Ditto all above, pain in the arse (and back, neck, ribs, shoulders, knees, ----) working under the dash. The use of a cheapo wally world seat cushion to protect the ribs is a good idea, only took me 30 years to figure that out.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom