Sometimes, I am absolutely amazed at the towing power of my 2F (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I was wondering what kind of crack you were smoking.

I will admit that the amount of towing power is amazing.

Amazingly low.

I have to disagree....I towed another 60 with my 60.

But only 3 miles :)

Put a diesel in it. My 1HZ turbo charged and intercooled will have around 320 ft pounds of torque. That's more than enough to tow what I need to tow.

So....what you're all saying is that my 60-when I finally get it going-is going to be slow? And that flat towing my 40 will be even slower?

i once towed one of my 40's on a trailer behind the 60...won't do that again.

never towed anydistance but i pulled a bogged down ford that a 1954 massy fergison tractor culdn't pull out. barely broke a sweat( in 1st low range- didn't have a tow point in the front at the time so i pulled from the back). give the 60's sum respect now

No problem for me since I just wait until it's all down hill with a tail wind.

I tow boats with mine!

I tow my two jet skis with my fj-60 fine. It'll cruise nicely down the freeway at 55-60. I also tow my 3,500 pound boat up to the lake and back occasionaly (30 miles each way) It can cruise nicely at 55 with it. The truck works well at holding the boat back on the downgrades that I drive on the last part of the road. It also doesn't do too bad pulling it back up either. :)

I pull a 3,000# diesel chipper around my lot a couple times a year - mostly 20-degree grades. One time I forgot to raise the tongue jack on the chipper when I went to move it & wondered why it took 3 tries to get up onto the street (45-degree, 10-yard pitch). Plowed a 100' furrow & broke the jack off when I hit the pavement. I think a 60'll tow just about anything, just not fast.

I am rebuilding a 2F in the shop right now. Everybody looks at it in amazement since it's so freakishly huge. The kids always ask how much horsepower it has, to which I usually reply "less than my Echo". In fact, it's about half as big as my entire motorcycle and has less horsepower. :)

Neither the Echo or the bike will tow anything at all though. :D

I towed my FJ40 on a trailer, once to Clayton (100 mi one way) behind a strong running 60, got down to 40mph on the hills, used tons of fuel, broke me from doing that again.........65 mph was top speed going downhill. :eek:
But, if you need to move a building, throw it in 4 low and then you do have some amazing towing power...... :D :D

Hmm, we shall see what an EFI turbocharged 60 is like towing I guess.

:flipoff2:

never towed anything with my 2f.....but its sure can smoke the the tires on the rocks.

I towed a mercedes 190E from Albuquerque NM to Lexington KY (1,400 miles)with the back of my cruiser also filled with with stuff and had no problem at all.The average speed was about 50 to 60 miles an hour with a Holley carb and most of the smog crap removed. What really shocked me was the cruiser accelerated and drove almost like I wasnt towing anything at all.I'm guessing that was because of the amazing amout of torque these engines put out.

jnuke1 said:
The average speed was about 50 to 60 miles an hour with a Holley carb and most of the smog crap removed.
50 - 60 mph is not a safe speed on the interstates out here - 75 mph speed limit and semis regularly going 80 or more. In my 2F days I was almost in several accidents because of impatient drivers rapidly closing on me or trying to get around me.

Cruisergreg said:
50 - 60 mph is not a safe speed on the interstates out here - 75 mph speed limit and semis regularly going 80 or more. In my 2F days I was almost in several accidents because of impatient drivers rapidly closing on me or trying to get around me.

I miss the 75 mile an hour speed limits out there although my cruiser sounds like its going to blow up when I get to 70 in it. I admit the drive totally sucked but once you hit TX the speed limit was 65 or 70 and and after that it was 65 all the way so it wasnt to bad.I'm thinking about bigger tires to get my top speed up a little so when we move back out there I can make a little better time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom